The Student Room Group

Posgraduate Title

Hi guys, it might seem a bit of a weird Q but what title do you gain on passing a postgraduate course. I mean, for example if you have a PhD you are classed as a doctor in that specific area. Any advice will help, Thanks. :confused::biggrin:
Reply 1
It depends on the type of postgraduate course. If you do a masters you can put 'MA' after your name. As you've already said, if you do a phD you gain the right to use the title of Dr.
Science masters - MSc - Master of Sciences

Arts/Humanities - MA - Master of Arts

PhD - Doctor of Philosophy

MPhil - Master of Philosophy
Reply 3
Just to say the "Philosophy" in PhD doesn't necessarily mean the subject Philosophy, but can include a number of subject disciplines basically.
Reply 4
Original post by tigermoth99

They're not really 'titles' as such, though, are they?:erm: I mean, it doesn't become part of your name. When I've completed my PhD, I'll only ever be Dr Hobnob in an academic context (if at all) - anything else would be silly and childish.
Reply 5
Original post by hobnob
They're not really 'titles' as such, though, are they?:erm: I mean, it doesn't become part of your name. When I've completed my PhD, I'll only ever be Dr Hobnob in an academic context (if at all) - anything else would be silly and childish.

You'll be Dr. Hobnob, PhD. Or, more likely - if you want to be very specific about it, it will be something like this:
Dr. Ellim, BA(Hons), MA, PhD.

Of course, you will - like any other Doctor - be entitled to use the prefix Dr. at any time instead of the 'regular' Mrs/Ms/Mr. In that way, it does become part of your name. I would imagine that only the most pretentious so-and-sos would use their postnominals as a 'part' of their name in anything other than an academic or professional context.
Reply 6
so i have msc, i can write MyName, MSc ???

I think Dr. Hobnob, PhD makes sense so you dont confuse him with MD. I know cuz my father is an engineer with PhD and he's always confused with MD so it would make sense to write PhD on his business card or as email signature.

to tell you the truth, my boss at work sings his email with Dr HisName, PhD. and i'm so tempted to do the same with my MSc, but i've never ever seen anyone does it.
Reply 7
A masters confers no tittle only suffix letters, Mphil, MSc, MA. you are not a doctor until you have a PhD or a Dphil.
Original post by nameIess

I think Dr. Hobnob, PhD makes sense so you dont confuse him with MD. I know cuz my father is an engineer with PhD and he's always confused with MD so it would make sense to write PhD on his business card or as email signature.

to tell you the truth, my boss at work sings his email with Dr HisName, PhD. and i'm so tempted to do the same with my MSc, but i've never ever seen anyone does it.

I used to deal with a letting agent who had Ms. HerName, BA (hons) MA., as thier work email signature. It looked stupid. Unless you are an academic it is not a good thing and even then I don't recall many acdemics who do it on a daily basis.
Reply 9
Original post by happydinosaur
I used to deal with a letting agent who had Ms. HerName, BA (hons) MA., as thier work email signature. It looked stupid. Unless you are an academic it is not a good thing and even then I don't recall many acdemics who do it on a daily basis.

I work at government body and our work involves getting in contact with many people from different departments, research institutes, government bodies and companies. And usually the teams we work with include people with many professions from diferent disciplines and so it is a norm to introduce your self and state your profession right away. It is even written on my ID that I'm a mechanical engineer.

but i also have an msc, and i want to 'enjoy' showing it off a little (ps. i was employed only recently) and i was thinking about the possibility (or the level of stupidity) of writing MSc behind my name in my email signature.
I work at government body and our work involves getting in contact with many people from different departments, research institutes, government bodies and companies. And usually the teams we work with include people with many professions from diferent disciplines and so it is a norm to introduce your self and state your profession right away. It is even written on my ID that I'm a mechanical engineer.

but i also have an msc, and i want to 'enjoy' showing it off a little (ps. i was employed only recently) and i was thinking about the possibility (or the level of stupidity) of writing MSc behind my name in my email signature.

Stating your profession is perfectly normal. I have also worked in large multi-disciplinary organisations where stating what you do is normal. I still think that adding qualifications after your name is excessive in most circumstances. There is no need to show off when a large percentage of the people you are working with probably also have similar qualifications. Although perhaps that is more in my profession where most people have a masters.
Reply 11

That reminds me of 'BA-Lamb' in Middlemarch.:s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by tigermoth99

*I understand these are not titles, but this is what I meant. Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 13
And thanks everyone for all your help! :smile: :smile:
Reply 14
There's also an ' MEng ' or Master of Engineering
Original post by Alyxcious08
Hi guys, it might seem a bit of a weird Q but what title do you gain on passing a postgraduate course. I mean, for example if you have a PhD you are classed as a doctor in that specific area. Any advice will help, Thanks. :confused::biggrin:

Depends on what you called "title". In France we have some but it's barely used. At the end of the year I will be what you call chartered Engineer in UK, it's just allow me to put Engineer in my CV :tongue: (it's a protected title here, not the case in UK I think). If you have a PhD you become Dr. Something, which add a nice touch to your e-mail :tongue:.

In which context to you need to state which title you own ? (I'm not familiar with UK usage on this kind of matter)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending