The Student Room Group

Biochemistry EPQ ideas help

Hi, so I'm an a level student taking biology, chemistry and maths. I'm also starting an EPQ (to do with biochemistry) soon but I haven't been able to decide on a question/title yet.
I did consider doing something to do with how some animals can live for 150+ year (eg. Tortoises or jellyfish), or maybe bioluminescence (but I can't seem to come up with a question for this one).
I know that the question has to be evaluative, but I'm not interested in talking about the ethics or history of biochemistry topics and I feel as though this excludes a lot of the possible titles I have found online.
Any help/advice would be much appreciated!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Usually the easiest way to find a good EPQ question is to draw on two interests you might have within biochemistry. Think about adding things to your title like: What influence does X have on Y, or How does the use of X affect Y etc. Try to be as specific as you can without narrowing down your topic too much- if you're tackling a broad topic like bioluminescence your teacher will probably tell you to find a 'niche' so you can have a targeted discussion (eg. Are you focusing on bioluminescence in plankton specifically? As a defence mechanism? To attract prey?). Depending on how specific your question is, a good way to narrow it down is geographically or within a certain parameter.

I would suggest doing as much research on the broad topics you're interested in first, as this will help you with that. Read some papers or articles online (JSTOR is God sent) about bioluminescence/and or animal life spans and the more you read the more you'll be able to find a clearer narrative. You'll find it difficult to form an argument or a title just out of one topic you're interested in without much background research.

But don't worry! It took me ages to figure out my title and you can change it again and again- in fact, the examiners love when you change your title as your project progresses as long as you note down your changes and explain why. As long as you're interested in the topic, and you can see yourself spending a lot of time reading about it- the title will come!

Hope this helps xx
Reply 2
Original post by liahgolding
Usually the easiest way to find a good EPQ question is to draw on two interests you might have within biochemistry. Think about adding things to your title like: What influence does X have on Y, or How does the use of X affect Y etc. Try to be as specific as you can without narrowing down your topic too much- if you're tackling a broad topic like bioluminescence your teacher will probably tell you to find a 'niche' so you can have a targeted discussion (eg. Are you focusing on bioluminescence in plankton specifically? As a defence mechanism? To attract prey?). Depending on how specific your question is, a good way to narrow it down is geographically or within a certain parameter.

I would suggest doing as much research on the broad topics you're interested in first, as this will help you with that. Read some papers or articles online (JSTOR is God sent) about bioluminescence/and or animal life spans and the more you read the more you'll be able to find a clearer narrative. You'll find it difficult to form an argument or a title just out of one topic you're interested in without much background research.

But don't worry! It took me ages to figure out my title and you can change it again and again- in fact, the examiners love when you change your title as your project progresses as long as you note down your changes and explain why. As long as you're interested in the topic, and you can see yourself spending a lot of time reading about it- the title will come!

Hope this helps xx

Hi, sorry for the late response, but thank you so much for your help! I've started work on my epq now and I decided on my working title: 'How effective is bioluminescence based imaging compared to other imaging modalities for detecting cancer cells in vivo'. Thanks again :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending