The Student Room Group

Can I still do my MA in Fine Art if my BA is in English?

I can't find a similar topic on tsr anywhere else, so I may as well ask.
I haven't started my degree yet, but I was told that I can do my masters in art (such as Fine Art, Art and Design, etc) even though my BA is in English Language and Linguistics, is this true? I had a look at some university's websites to see what their entry requirements are and a lot of them say that they require an undergraduate degree in an art related subject?

Thanks to anyone who replies :smile:
Before i get answers such as 'Why don't you do your undergraduate in an art related subject then?', It's just too much of a long story to post on here.
Reply 1
Everything is possible... even if a certain department says no (for whatever reason), another will say yes. It is very common in postgraduate studies that someone would move to another disciplines.
Reply 2
Original post by nameIess
Everything is possible... even if a certain department says no (for whatever reason), another will say yes. It is very common in postgraduate studies that someone would move to another disciplines.

I see, thank you very much :smile:
Reply 3
English would be considered an "art-related subject", unless you're doing pure linguistics or something like that. I'd get building up a portfolio of your artwork now though.
I wanna know why you don't want to/can't do BA Fine Art now :tongue: I think that doing an MA in Fine Art and especially Design would be difficult not just to get in but to actually achieve because you won't have the extra 3 years of knowledge and skills that other students will have.
Reply 5
Original post by Einheri
English would be considered an "art-related subject", unless you're doing pure linguistics or something like that. I'd get building up a portfolio of your artwork now though.

I see, My course title is English language and Linguistics, I'm doing my art and design foundation year now so I have a decent portfolio set up (which i won't really want to show at an MA interview - if they have them), but I'll continuously be developing my work and working in sketchbooks/creating work and setting myself briefs because i'll have so much free time. I was also going to ask the art department at the university if it's possible to use their facilities and still enter into shows, also, any clubs/societies which are available to do with art, I'll most likely be joining.

Original post by Cheshire_Cat
I wanna know why you don't want to/can't do BA Fine Art now :tongue: I think that doing an MA in Fine Art and especially Design would be difficult not just to get in but to actually achieve because you won't have the extra 3 years of knowledge and skills that other students will have.

I was talking to my teacher and he said that a lot of the MA art courses courses are mostly written based, so English would come in very helpful, I just wouldn't be trained to a degree level 'visually'.

I just don't know what I want to do within art at the moment and i DID NOT want to do art and design, because that's just too broad and because i didn't know what i wanted to do, i didn't know what i wanted to look for in a course. English language is broad enough for me to go into anything and I just wondered if i could (if i was still interested in art and had figured out what i wanted to do) if i could do a masters in an art related subject. I don't think I'd do it in fine art anyway, it was just used as an example. It's a bloody long story and i just cannot be bothered to type it all out when all i want is an answer to a question :smile:
Original post by Emmargh
I see, My course title is English language and Linguistics, I'm doing my art and design foundation year now so I have a decent portfolio set up (which i won't really want to show at an MA interview - if they have them), but I'll continuously be developing my work and working in sketchbooks/creating work and setting myself briefs because i'll have so much free time. I was also going to ask the art department at the university if it's possible to use their facilities and still enter into shows, also, any clubs/societies which are available to do with art, I'll most likely be joining.

I was talking to my teacher and he said that a lot of the MA art courses courses are mostly written based, so English would come in very helpful, I just wouldn't be trained to a degree level 'visually'.

I just don't know what I want to do within art at the moment and i DID NOT want to do art and design, because that's just too broad and because i didn't know what i wanted to do, i didn't know what i wanted to look for in a course. English language is broad enough for me to go into anything and I just wondered if i could (if i was still interested in art and had figured out what i wanted to do) if i could do a masters in an art related subject. I don't think I'd do it in fine art anyway, it was just used as an example. It's a bloody long story and i just cannot be bothered to type it all out when all i want is an answer to a question :smile:

Ah I see :smile: Well yeah I think it just depends what kind of art and design you want to do, but obviously you don't know which one now :tongue: I'm doing BA Interior Design and don't think you'd be allowed to do that for at MA unless you've done other design degrees due to all of the technical skills required.
Reply 7
Ah I see :smile: Well yeah I think it just depends what kind of art and design you want to do, but obviously you don't know which one now :tongue: I'm doing BA Interior Design and don't think you'd be allowed to do that for at MA unless you've done other design degrees due to all of the technical skills required.

Things such as Architecture and interior design (especially architecture) i think you'd need to definitely do a BA in, but I'm not that interested in that :smile: so i should be ok, I haven't even started my degree and if all else fails on my english course I'll just have to see if i can swap courses. Do you know if you can swap courses at a different university? Or is swapping universities a whole different thing as opposed to just swapping courses at the same university?
Reply 8
Original post by Emmargh
I can't find a similar topic on tsr anywhere else, so I may as well ask.
I haven't started my degree yet, but I was told that I can do my masters in art (such as Fine Art, Art and Design, etc) even though my BA is in English Language and Linguistics, is this true? I had a look at some university's websites to see what their entry requirements are and a lot of them say that they require an undergraduate degree in an art related subject?

Thanks to anyone who replies :smile:
Before i get answers such as 'Why don't you do your undergraduate in an art related subject then?', It's just too much of a long story to post on here.

You know York st john offer a joint honours course in English literature and Fine art right? You could ask to switch to that if you can't find an MA that will accept you with just an english degree.
Reply 9
Original post by Shelly_x
You know York st john offer a joint honours course in English literature and Fine art right? You could ask to switch to that if you can't find an MA that will accept you with just an english degree.

Yes i've seen that course and i absolutely hate literature, but thank you.
I'll wait and see what i feel like doing when i've hit my 3rd year at uni, knowing me i'll have changed and wanted to do law like i originally wanted :smile:
Original post by Emmargh
Things such as Architecture and interior design (especially architecture) i think you'd need to definitely do a BA in, but I'm not that interested in that :smile: so i should be ok, I haven't even started my degree and if all else fails on my english course I'll just have to see if i can swap courses. Do you know if you can swap courses at a different university? Or is swapping universities a whole different thing as opposed to just swapping courses at the same university?

Fair does :smile: What do you mean by swapping? Transferring into the second or third year or just starting a new course at the same or a different uni? Or do you mean swapping early in the year?
I'm looking to go into an MA in Political Science from a BA in English. I don't see why you can't change disciplines, honing skills specific to your individuality and career choices is what Postgrad courses are for.
Reply 12
Fair does :smile: What do you mean by swapping? Transferring into the second or third year or just starting a new course at the same or a different uni? Or do you mean swapping early in the year?

Yes, not 'swapping', I meant transferring :dunce: haha. I mean transferring courses or universities if i don't enjoy my course or decide that i want to go back to art. I know you can transfer courses within the same university (english language to fine art at york st john) but i didn't know if you could transfer universities early in the year (ysj to sheffield hallam for example - reason for sheff hallam is cause it's closest uni to me :tongue: I just wondered if you could change university early on in the year?

Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
I'm looking to go into an MA in Political Science from a BA in English. I don't see why you can't change disciplines, honing skills specific to your individuality and career choices is what Postgrad courses are for.

I see, thank you :smile: I think that as long as i sustain a decent portfolio of work upto my MA i should be ok in doing my MA in art. If i'm in doubt when it comes to my last year at uni i'll just email the university or go to an open day. I'm pretty sure that i'll be able to talk to the staff at uni as well and see if they can help me :smile:

Thank you.
Original post by Emmargh
Yes, not 'swapping', I meant transferring :dunce: haha. I mean transferring courses or universities if i don't enjoy my course or decide that i want to go back to art. I know you can transfer courses within the same university (english language to fine art at york st john) but i didn't know if you could transfer universities early in the year (ysj to sheffield hallam for example - reason for sheff hallam is cause it's closest uni to me :tongue: I just wondered if you could change university early on in the year?

I know someone who's changed university early in the year but for the same course. It's possible to change to a different uni AND course, just depends on the uni really. Doubt you could get into somewhere that's really good for fine art though because they would have been full up for months, but then you never know!
Reply 14
I know someone who's changed university early in the year but for the same course. It's possible to change to a different uni AND course, just depends on the uni really. Doubt you could get into somewhere that's really good for fine art though because they would have been full up for months, but then you never know!

If i were to change the only place it'd be is Sheffield hallam because i can get there by train and not have to worry about accommodation, i'll see how the next few years go :smile: Thanks
Original post by Emmargh
If i were to change the only place it'd be is Sheffield hallam because i can get there by train and not have to worry about accommodation, i'll see how the next few years go :smile: Thanks

No worries, good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending