The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

University choices

So Ive spoke to gov careers advice chat advisor they weren't very helpful and just gave me links to different courses I've already seen and mainly just replied with oh okay and ended the chat quickly.

I'm currently in the process of writing a personal statement for a business and marketing ba. The current aim is to get into marketing or media however I really want to focus on the creative side but still learn business skills.

My ultimate aim in life would be to be a fashion designer, fashion business owner or a creative / art director which I know is extremely hard to do. My best bet would be to pursue a creative relate degree but I also need some business skills.

I'm not too keen on applying for a fashion marketing or fashion business degree without fashion design as I feel like I would be limiting my opportunities even more than just doing a fashion design or a traditional marketing degree as many fashion marketing jobs want either a fashion design or marketing /business graduate.

The main thing putting me off pursuing a fashion design degree is my sewing ability and family thinking it's a useful degree however they feel I should take a graphics or fine art degree so I can become a teacher but I've worked in education before and I hated so I know a career in education isn't for me and I would prefer to go to a university such as ual or rca or Kingston or somewhere well know to have students in fashion week or established designers if I were going to get in debt for a creative degree.

Another concern is if I could do a business degree to then go and do a creative masters without having to wait more than a year to do so.

Maybe both degrees aren't that great but my passions lay with fashion and business.

I just need someone to tell me if I'm going in the right direct by doing a business/marketing degree then a fashion ma even If I need to take a pgd or short courses
Sounds like you’re interested in a creative direction degree. There’s only a handful of universities (NTU, Kingston, AUB and UAL) offering creative direction but it’s got that mix of creativity, marketing and business that it sounds like you’re looking for.

If you study it somewhere with fashion/costume degrees then there’s likely to be opportunities to collaborate and also work on your sewing and design skills to boost that side of your portfolio.
(edited 3 months ago)
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Sounds like you’re interested in a creative direction degree. There’s only a handful of universities (NTU, Kingston, AUB and UAL) offering creative direction but it’s got that mix of creativity, marketing and business that it sounds like you’re looking for.

If you study it somewhere with fashion/costume degrees then there’s likely to be opportunities to collaborate and also work on your sewing and design skills to boost that side of your portfolio.

I would love to eventually get into creative direction but many creative direction jobs don't require a creation direction degree.

Both a fashion and marketing or advertising degree would help me to go in that direction . I'm not sure which degree I should go with and I do both subjects I'm not sure which one I should do first 😅
Original post by Anonymous
I would love to eventually get into creative direction but many creative direction jobs don't require a creation direction degree.

Both a fashion and marketing or advertising degree would help me to go in that direction . I'm not sure which degree I should go with and I do both subjects I'm not sure which one I should do first 😅

Just because the degree isn’t required doesn’t mean it’s a bad choice. It would leave all your possible futures open and would be interesting to you. There’s no need to compromise and take 2 degrees.
Reply 4
I will definitely think about think about it .
Original post by Anonymous #1
So Ive spoke to gov careers advice chat advisor they weren't very helpful and just gave me links to different courses I've already seen and mainly just replied with oh okay and ended the chat quickly.

I'm currently in the process of writing a personal statement for a business and marketing ba. The current aim is to get into marketing or media however I really want to focus on the creative side but still learn business skills.

My ultimate aim in life would be to be a fashion designer, fashion business owner or a creative / art director which I know is extremely hard to do. My best bet would be to pursue a creative relate degree but I also need some business skills.

I'm not too keen on applying for a fashion marketing or fashion business degree without fashion design as I feel like I would be limiting my opportunities even more than just doing a fashion design or a traditional marketing degree as many fashion marketing jobs want either a fashion design or marketing /business graduate.

The main thing putting me off pursuing a fashion design degree is my sewing ability and family thinking it's a useful degree however they feel I should take a graphics or fine art degree so I can become a teacher but I've worked in education before and I hated so I know a career in education isn't for me and I would prefer to go to a university such as ual or rca or Kingston or somewhere well know to have students in fashion week or established designers if I were going to get in debt for a creative degree.

Another concern is if I could do a business degree to then go and do a creative masters without having to wait more than a year to do so.

Maybe both degrees aren't that great but my passions lay with fashion and business.

I just need someone to tell me if I'm going in the right direct by doing a business/marketing degree then a fashion ma even If I need to take a pgd or short courses

Hi,

It's good that you have a strong idea of what you want to do in the future it's now just figuring out how to get there.

I currently study Fashion Promotion and Communication at Kingston which is a great course to take if wanting to run a fashion business or be a creative art director however it seems as though you are also interested in designing so this degree would maybe not be the best option.

I am wondering if you have considered an Art and Design foundation course many colleges and universities like Kingston offer the one year course and it would be really great for building your skills in sewing and getting a better idea of what you would like to study in uni, as it's an opportunity to try a range of art subjects like graphic design, fashion and fine art. A foundation course would also increase your chances of getting in to a top university for fashion, building your portfolio, as well as preparing you for the workload and easing you into the structure of uni. And after the course you could still continue down the route of a business course, as it may become more clear what is the best route.

However, I understand this may not be something you are willing to consider and so looking at the subjects you are currently deciding between I agree with you that creative direction degree isn't always required for creative direction jobs and is something that you could get into through any creative degree or even a option for a masters after your undergraduate degree.

I would think that doing a Fashion Design BA and then a Business MA or a some sort of Fashion Marketing MA would be a good route, as you would be able to learn how to be a fashion designer and then in the masters learn how to make your craft into a business and build a brand. Maybe start looking at entry requirements for Fashion Design MA's as they may require a Fashion Design BA. Although sometimes qualifications in another course with relevant work experiences and placements can be considered, like you said short courses could be an option, you could check out what is offered here at Kingston Art, design and architecture courses - Short courses - Kingston University London . Doing something related to fashion design on the side, if you were to study business, would also help you in understanding whether it is for you as I know fashion design courses can be quite intense and you really have to love it.

Attending open days could also be useful so you can speak to lectures, and see what kind of content is being covered on the courses and the modules you would study. Again doing a foundation course would allow more time for this.

I also understand that opinions of family and others can have an impact, but at the end of the day this is your future and I think you will be more successful in something you are passionate about rather than something that doesn't appeal to you.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more thoughts or questions :smile:
Good luck in your application I know this decision can be hard but just keep looking and you will find your way to where you want to be

-Grace (Student Rep)
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hey,

Finding the right course can be daunting, but doing your research and attending university open days can help you get a better idea of which course is suitable for you.

At Arts University Plymouth, we offer a BA (Hons) Fashion Media & Marketing course that provides both creative and business skills to help you become self-reliant. From fashion shoots and social media campaigns to discussions on how disruptive technology and in-store experiences are influencing consumer behaviour, this course will put you at the forefront of fashion communication. It is a practical and creative degree designed for those who want to pursue a career in fashion styling, imaging, branding, publishing, or social media.

I hope this helps and should you have any further questions, please feel free to get in touch.

Kate
Arts University Plymouth Rep
aup.ac.uk
💻 Email us at [email protected]
☎️ Call us on 01752 203402⁠
📱 Whatsapp us at 07722 744184⁠

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending