The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B3 A2 exam - 16th of June

Hi,

Just wondering about the AO's... in section A do you just need to focus on 1, 2, and 4 as it is a non-comparison question??

Much appreciated!

Thanks!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think in Section A and B you concentrate on all 4
A01 - General Style
A02 - Genres
A03 - Readings
A04 - Context

So you do need to talk about why it is gothic etc.

The only difference between section A and B is that in A you write about 1 text and in B you write about all three.
Reply 2
Original post by neonpeg
I think in Section A and B you concentrate on all 4
A01 - General Style
A02 - Genres
A03 - Readings
A04 - Context

So you do need to talk about why it is gothic etc.

The only difference between section A and B is that in A you write about 1 text and in B you write about all three.

thanks, but if it is non comparison, how can you use AO3? is it just different ways of interpreting?

Thanks v. much! Espesh for being the only person to reply.
Heyyy, not on topic but just wondering if I have the exam date right. Is this on the 24th? :redface: And in answer to your question, I would have thought AO3 refers to different interpretations of your point, and you could use examples from other texts :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
Heyyy, not on topic but just wondering if I have the exam date right. Is this on the 24th? :redface: And in answer to your question, I would have thought AO3 refers to different interpretations of your point, and you could use examples from other texts :smile:

Thanks..! yeah it's on the 24th
Original post by goofy-blues
Thanks..! yeah it's on the 24th

Ahh phew :biggrin: Ta :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah A03 is like feminist, marxist and references to other texts so like modern interpretations or if it's a play, productions.
Reply 7
Woah. AO3 is feminist, marxist etc?

I didn't realise it was so holistic. I thought it would be different ways of interpreting specific elements to the text. For instance, in The Bloody Chamber's Snow Child the Count is described as 'weeping' and you can interpret this in different ways .... subsequently, we can make different suggestions as to what we believe Carter to be trying to achieve.

Sounds as if I'm on the wrong page to be fair. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by studentee
Woah. AO3 is feminist, marxist etc?

I didn't realise it was so holistic. I thought it would be different ways of interpreting specific elements to the text. For instance, in The Bloody Chamber's Snow Child the Count is described as 'weeping' and you can interpret this in different ways .... subsequently, we can make different suggestions as to what we believe Carter to be trying to achieve.

Sounds as if I'm on the wrong page to be fair. :smile:

Yeah, what? We did feminist and marxist in coursework last year but were never told to use it in the exam?
Yeah, what? We did feminist and marxist in coursework last year but were never told to use it in the exam?

We were told that you're generally supposed to use those interpretations in your analysis, and also to compare between contemporary and modern readers.
Reply 10
Yeah, the audience thing is really quite useful. It seems you can simultaneously hit AO3 + A04.
Reply 11
Just create a debate and you'll be fine. This is what our teacher said and she went on the marker day thing for the exam, it doesn't matter if its about readings of the texts or your own personal opinion as long as you give an alternative point of view :wink:
Anyone got any example questions? Section A - Dracula/Macbeth?
Reply 13
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
Anyone got any example questions? Section A - Dracula/Macbeth?

MACBETH:

"What is the significance of the Witches..." - spec paper I found online

and "Explore the dramatic use Shakespeare makes of occult and supernatural elements in Macbeth"
MACBETH:

"What is the significance of the Witches..." - spec paper I found online

and "Explore the dramatic use Shakespeare makes of occult and supernatural elements in Macbeth"

Reply 15
thanks, but if it is non comparison, how can you use AO3? is it just different ways of interpreting?

Thanks v. much! Espesh for being the only person to reply.

If your exam board is the same as mine (AQA) then from what i have been told by my teachers about the assessment objectives are ;

AO1- Language ( like what writing styles do the authors generally use e.g. repition)
AO2- Form, Structure (how is the play, novel... set out e.g. journel for Dracula )
A03- Elements of Gothic (the whole of this AO is based around how the novel, text, play is gothic e.g. overflowing boundries, primitive settings... e.g. WH - clash of civilization , TG rich and WH poor )
A04- Context ( when the text, play, novel.. was written, what was happening ? Victorian era for Macbeth bla bla bla ... )

hope this is useful :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Nilab
If your exam board is the same as mine (AQA) then from what i have been told by my teachers about the assessment objectives are ;

AO1- Language ( like what writing styles do the authors generally use e.g. repition)
AO2- Form, Structure (how is the play, novel... set out e.g. journel for Dracula )
A03- Elements of Gothic (the whole of this exam is based around how the novel, text, play is gothic e.g. overflowing boundries, primitive settings... e.g. WH - clash of civilization , TG rich and WH poor )
A04- Context ( when the text, play, novel.. was written, what was happening ? Victorian era for Macbeth bla bla bla ... )

hope this is useful :smile:

Thanks very much! Although I'm fairly sure that Macbeth was not set in the Victorian Era...!
Reply 17
Oh crap sorry got that confused with another text :colondollar:

But yeah aslong as you use all of those AO's in your answers hopefully you should be fine
Any last minute tips anyone? Off to Hertfordshire to take my exam tomorrow so will have a day of straight revision! So nervous! Good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 19
does anyone know where i can find exemplar essays for Wuthering Heights/ Macbeth/Bloody Chamber?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending