The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dacea
ahh thank you so much! i'm so nervous for the interview, Kingston is my first choice so i'm stressing out a lot over it. That was a great help though and it would be excellent if you could show me around! i'm quite worried i'll get lost haha, and that would be terrible.

Ah, I see! :smile: So this is your first time to Kingston? Make sure you have GPS/a map of where you're going; the first time I went to Kingston I got seriously lost, haha! When you get out of Kingston station, walk down the side of the street with the Odeon/Prezzo/Pizza Express building and just keep on walking down Wheatfield Way, past the Little Italy restaurant, cross the street, keep walking down and past the big green park (should be on your left). And then you keep walking down that big street and then you should see Kingston University's sign, turn left and there's Kingston with its revolving doors to get in.

When you get inside, you should see everyone else who has an interview that day milling around, so you should be fine from there. :biggrin: If you want to see other stuff while you're waiting, I'll come and show you around as I'm literally five minutes away in Avionics~
Reply 1261
I got an unexpected offer from Westminster this morning! Tbf the interview was horrible... I am totally surprised, nevertheless, I am grateful:]

Has anyone else heard back from anywhere??
OH God! all this.... this!

Basically got three offers now: withdrew from Falmouth on account of not hearing from them and then got an interview letter, silly people: ( but I had lost interest by then).

Was rejected from Slade but no strange cryptic quotes in my letter: just unsucessful due to high no of applicants.

In respect of this primal soup, I would just as soon go to a good University with a good art course at 18 than spend three more years becoming "right on" in London, because when I'm 21, I can always do a masters, without worrying whether starting in my 20's means I am no longer a bright young thing! Can't see anything much in the University of Arts lot for example, or Kingston for that matter, but it's all just a matter of opinion in the end.

Frankly, I am just glad to be off the crazy merry-go-round of University sponsored fear: most med school applicants don't have to expose themselves to what art applicants have to. Ridiculous!
Reply 1263
Original post by doodlekin
OH God! all this.... this!

Basically got three offers now: withdrew from Falmouth on account of not hearing from them and then got an interview letter, silly people: ( but I had lost interest by then).

Was rejected from Slade but no strange cryptic quotes in my letter: just unsucessful due to high no of applicants.

In respect of this primal soup, I would just as soon go to a good University with a good art course at 18 than spend three more years becoming "right on" in London, because when I'm 21, I can always do a masters, without worrying whether starting in my 20's means I am no longer a bright young thing! Can't see anything much in the University of Arts lot for example, or Kingston for that matter, but it's all just a matter of opinion in the end.

Frankly, I am just glad to be off the crazy merry-go-round of University sponsored fear: most med school applicants don't have to expose themselves to what art applicants have to. Ridiculous!

I'll be 21 next month..and to be honest, I was in a different frame of mind when I left school.. I needed the a few years out for maturity. So each to there own!

Congratulations on your 3 offers, where are they?
Original post by Farout
I'll be 21 next month..and to be honest, I was in a different frame of mind when I left school.. I needed the a few years out for maturity. So each to there own!

I'm 21 this summer too, glad I'm not the only old lady :tongue:
Original post by Farout

Original post by Ham_Sandwich

What did you do in your years out? I assume one was a foundation course, did you just get jobs or something?
Original post by joelchan
What did you do in your years out? I assume one was a foundation course, did you just get jobs or something?

I changed my A levels after my first year, so I did 3 years at 6th form instead of 2. Then a foundation and now a gap year. I think I've taken the long way round :colondollar:
Reply 1267
Original post by Farout

me too i'll be 20 when i start uni :smile: but maturity and that can only be a good thing eh? :tongue:
Reply 1268

Ha! Ill be 28 when I start my course in September and I dont feel that old... yet.

Im glad Ive got a few years behind me as now Im 100% sure what I want to do -Ive worked in different areas to get a proper feel of what I want, and Ive definitely found the right course.
Also now I have to be very focused, no time to faff about at uni or after I graduate -by then I will be an old lady!

But I know people younger than me who's more mature and older people who act like teenagers, so its all individual.
Original post by Philemon
Ha! Ill be 28 when I start my course in September and I dont feel that old... yet.

Im glad Ive got a few years behind me as now Im 100% sure what I want to do -Ive worked in different areas to get a proper feel of what I want, and Ive definitely found the right course.
Also now I have to be very focused, no time to faff about at uni or after I graduate -by then I will be an old lady!

But I know people younger than me who's more mature and older people who act like teenagers, so its all individual.

Me too, I definitely feel more ready to go to uni this year than I did last time. I think sometimes there's this whole pressure to go at 18 and people make bad decisions because of it, when it really doesn't matter. Or I hope it doesn't anyway :rolleyes:
Does anyone know if for fine art painting at brighton it is a group interview or just 1 to 1? My interview is tomorrow and im soo nervous!
If anyone is interested: Lancaster offer ABB
Aber offer 280 points ( easy) but I like it.
UWE 240 points ( may as well drop dead now), and turn up corpse.

If I do really well in my A levels may just forget it all and apply for Oxford next year. LOL. Could do that elusive foundation year, but whats the point?????
Reply 1272
Original post by doodlekin
If anyone is interested: Lancaster offer ABB
Aber offer 280 points ( easy) but I like it.
UWE 240 points ( may as well drop dead now), and turn up corpse.

If I do really well in my A levels may just forget it all and apply for Oxford next year. LOL. Could do that elusive foundation year, but whats the point?????

Whats the point, lol, dont start this again :colonhash:
Original post by Soares

Foundation year = completely concentrate on the mindboggling huge subject of art and creativity without the distractions of all the other brain-occupying subjects. not many opportunities to do that in the rat race is there!

Has anybody who had their Wimbledon Painting interview on or after the 24th February heard back yet?
Original post by sarinda.devine
Does anyone know if for fine art painting at brighton it is a group interview or just 1 to 1? My interview is tomorrow and im soo nervous!

When did you get a reply? I still haven't heard anything, so I assume that must = a rejection :/
Reply 1275
Original post by Village Whisper
When did you get a reply? I still haven't heard anything, so I assume that must = a rejection :/

nah wont be. A month ago people were receiving interviews from Kingston, and i was thinking... ****,
but I've received an interview from them today :smile:

many unis seem to be doing this in batches
Reply 1276
Still not heard back from Chelsea, anyone else still waiting?
Original post by Soares
nah wont be. A month ago people were receiving interviews from Kingston, and i was thinking... ****,
but I've received an interview from them today :smile:

many unis seem to be doing this in batches

Ah well, hopefully. I would've thought I'd be one of the earliest to get a reply though, since my deadline was the earliest I've heard of. Oh well, I can wait a bit more. Anyway, I had my Loughborough interview yesterday (my tutor persuaded me to go), and now I feel like a complete hypocrite because I actually want to go there now! I hadn't been before so it was pretty much just a name to me, and it's easy to dismiss a name, but...well, I loved the students' work, it was amazing! I liked it far more than the work at the Slade and Goldsmiths, and a lot of it was quite illustration-y like mine...I really hope I get in!! I honestly haven't been this excited about a place since I first looked around Brighton. I didn't get that "feeling" about the other places, it was more of an "oh, this is quite nice". I've probably jinxed it now, but ...!!!!!

Well done on your interview, though :smile: How many have you had now?
Reply 1278
Original post by Soares

well said
Reply 1279
Original post by Village Whisper
Ah well, hopefully. I would've thought I'd be one of the earliest to get a reply though, since my deadline was the earliest I've heard of. Oh well, I can wait a bit more. Anyway, I had my Loughborough interview yesterday (my tutor persuaded me to go), and now I feel like a complete hypocrite because I actually want to go there now! I hadn't been before so it was pretty much just a name to me, and it's easy to dismiss a name, but...well, I loved the students' work, it was amazing! I liked it far more than the work at the Slade and Goldsmiths, and a lot of it was quite illustration-y like mine...I really hope I get in!! I honestly haven't been this excited about a place since I first looked around Brighton. I didn't get that "feeling" about the other places, it was more of an "oh, this is quite nice". I've probably jinxed it now, but ...!!!!!

Well done on your interview, though :smile: How many have you had now?

Nice hope you get the place! :smile: I hear loughborough is crazzzzy for parties and all that and has one of the best student experiences in the country

Haven't been to any interviews yet, got UCA farnham tmoro, but have barely prepared for it, and the pressure hasnt really hit me, even though its tomorrow :confused: itll be my first interview and il probably stumble hard.

And for kingston i have an interview on the same day from anglia ruskin both in that morning :confused: not sure what i can do, both say they cant really rescedule in the emails... got interviews from 4 of my choices all for this month, still waiting on chelsea though

Im barely been feeling any pressure though when i usually would be. i definately should be. not being at college or having a tutor makes it weird to get this kind of stuff done. Ive just been working a regular job lately and Ive barely made any artwork recently :s-smilie:

I dunno what to say at these interviews and whether theyll like this or not

Quick Reply

Latest