The Student Room Group

Zidane vs. Maradonna

Scroll to see replies

Is there any point debating this? I doubt anyone on this forum has seen that much of Maradona to really compare the two.
If you were comparing two players, it would make more sense to compare Zidane with Ronalda De Lima.

Ronaldo for me...
Reply 41
Original post by searchingshadow
I've always maintained Zidane is better than Maradonna, who agrees?

nb: I also think C.Ronaldo is better than Messi (for several other reasons).

i agree with both them statements :smile:
Original post by n1r4v
Sorry mate but I don't really follow what you're saying.

He is effective when there are people around him in "tight spaces", he's just not particularly effective when he's stationary, but instead of dancing around the ball like a bell like he did at United, he usually just passes now. And seriously what's with this "ball control" is overrated? When he sprints with the ball, it's always close to his feet. No idea where that's coming from. His ball control is exceptional.

Meh.

He is effective, just not as effective as players mentioned and I think he struggles a bit unless he is running at full pelt. With his ball control, he has a habit of knocking the ball too far forward at times yet because of his great pace over long and short distances it's not that noticeable (but overall you're right he is very good at speeds). Similar to, but not the same extent of, how now that Torres has lost that burst of pace, even if he comes back into form I guarantee people will start noticing his miscontrols and knocking the ball too far forward. I think a similar thing, but let me stress a nowhere near as bad an impact as with Torres, would happen.

Getting a bit repetitive now, but all I was trying to say from the start is that this aspect of his game is a bit overrated. He is a skilled footballer, just not quite as good as other players whose ability goes unnoticed.
Original post by Theconomist
For effectivness I'd have taken Zidan.In a perfect world the ideal team would be:

Kahn

Dani Alves Beckenbauer Baresi Maldini

Zidan Xavi

Zico Maradona

Messi Puskas

Subs: C.Ronaldo,Cantona,Thuram,Buffon,Ronaldinho(the 2004-2006 version)

Loool Kahn ahead of buffon hmm don't think so.
Daniel alves can't get into the all time Brazilian team at right back let alone the current.
Not even going to argue with the others because my post will just be long-winded
Original post by Jamiesonn

Daniel alves can't get into the all time Brazilian team at right back let alone the current.

Agree....

In regards to the Ronaldo vs Messi debate, there's obviously some that are Messi fans and some that are Ronaldo, hence having a one sided view. Yes ronaldo was simply amazing in the premier league and even in the La Liga, and rooney did say that messi would find it difficult in the EPL due to the physicality of the players. Tbh i don't know which player to choose, to me there both on the same level..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jamiesonn
Don't think so mate, this is the same guy who didn't turn up to training because pep guardiola rested him in a match. The same guy who wouldn't celebrate winning the league with his team-mates because pep didn't play him in a match that didn't mean anything just so he couldn't increase his personal goal tally

that's passion for you. at least he doesn't dive and boast about how many goals he's scored or sleep around with random women and all that **** english footballers do. Still a Messi fan and you can't change that unless you find proof he raped someone or something! Only then my view of him will be diminished!
Original post by Ano1

some of these players were at their peak in 2006.
Kaka, Ronaldinho, and even Henry. But Zidane stole the show.
He won everything, WC, CL/Europe, Euro '00, Italian and Spanish league titles.
Zidane = Best player of all time. Sorry but Messi needs a WC (without Xavi on his team) to prove otherwise.

Absolute BS. People need to get this whole "they need to win a World Cup to be great" crap out of their heads. Oliver Khan never won the World Cup, yet he's one of the top goalkeepers in history. Cruyff didnt, Van Basten didnt, Weah didnt, Stoichkov didnt, Nedved didnt, Best didnt, Dalglish didnt, and many more world leading players havent. Its more than likely that Ronaldo and Messi won't either. A player should be judged on how they play through their career, not on 3-7 games every 4 years.
Reply 47
Original post by CB91
Absolute BS. People need to get this whole "they need to win a World Cup to be great" crap out of their heads. Oliver Khan never won the World Cup, yet he's one of the top goalkeepers in history. Cruyff didnt, Van Basten didnt, Weah didnt, Stoichkov didnt, Nedved didnt, Best didnt, Dalglish didnt, and many more world leading players havent. Its more than likely that Ronaldo and Messi won't either. A player should be judged on how they play through their career, not on 3-7 games every 4 years.

Great players, but None of them are considered THE BEST EVER.
Whereas Zidane, Pele and Maradona are.
Original post by Ano1

Cruyff certainly is.
Original post by Ano1

Cruyff is definitely considered best ever
My point wasn't that Ronaldo doesn't dive. It was that Messi does.
Reply 52
I would have to say Zidane. Both absolutely incredible in their prime. But Zidane...he just has that aura around him Maradona doesnt. Zidane was a true general of the midfield, a playmaker, someone who knew what was going to happen next in a game before you did. Zidane single handly took that France team to the world cup final in 2006; just look at how it was before he returned, and how it imploded after he left. And thinking THAT free kick at the 2004 Euros in stoppage time just gives me goosebumps.
Original post by sandeep90
My point wasn't that Ronaldo doesn't dive. It was that Messi does.

I've only ever seen Messi dive once or twice and maybe overreact a few times. I think the majority of footballers have dived at some point though. I've lost count at the amount of times Ronaldo has dived. Although admittedly these were a lot more common at Man U and he seems to have toned this part of his game a bit. What is funny though is when a foreign player dives in the PL then the commentators lambast him for doing so, yet the times that either Rooney or Gerrard have dived I've never heard anybody give them the slightest bit of criticism.
Original post by Alexski
Zidane, the better professional, although to be fair he never had games like Maradonna where he was completely unplayable.

Messi>C. Ronaldo, Messi can play anywhere, and despite Ronaldo's versatility, Messi is simply awesome wherever he is. Barca don't do wild crosses/ conventional set pieces. Messi can't cope in EPL? What trash-he's spanked Arsenal and ManU in recent years, so what does that tell you?

I think Rooney meant he wouldn't be as suited in the PL as the La Lifa (not having Iniesta and Xavi supplying great balls). Not saying he wouldn't because I rekon he would cope however, I think he'd score less goals in the PL because there aren't many mid-fielders like Iniesta/Xavi who can get the ball forward like they do.
There is so much crap being spouted on this thread. I didn't even bother reading the second page because theconomist and a few others filled up the daily intake of crap that I can handle. To name a greatest squad of all time and forget the likes of Garrincha, Pele etc, to name Cristiano Ronaldo into it already, to name ****ing Eric Cantona in a greatest ever squad, total crap. People should talk about what they saw, not what others have said.
Original post by CB91

The idea is that the World Cup is a collection of the finest talents in the world, and is in fact the biggest stage in the world. I agree with you though. I'd say that you don't have to win a World Cup to be great, but winning, or even succeeding at a world cup, is one of the ways to make you great.
Original post by Straight up G
There is so much crap being spouted on this thread. I didn't even bother reading the second page because theconomist and a few others filled up the daily intake of crap that I can handle. To name a greatest squad of all time and forget the likes of Garrincha, Pele etc, to name Cristiano Ronaldo into it already, to name ****ing Eric Cantona in a greatest ever squad, total crap. People should talk about what they saw, not what others have said.

lol, relax bro.
Reply 58
Maradona has 1 n. Zidane was brilliant, one of the greats. But Maradona is the greatest in history. He won the league multiple times on his own, and a world cup on his own...Watch videos of him in his prime, he was impossible to stop.

At the moment, Messi is the best player in the world. Ronaldo is close behind in second however.

Btw, Ronaldo clearly can dribble very well, you don't become the second best player in the world by been **** in any area of your game, it is just Messi is better.

Yes Messi has a better team, but Ronaldo has a strong team, both players are the most valuable players in each team and most important to the teams success.
Reply 59
Original post by pinda.college
I think Rooney meant he wouldn't be as suited in the PL as the La Lifa (not having Iniesta and Xavi supplying great balls). Not saying he wouldn't because I rekon he would cope however, I think he'd score less goals in the PL because there aren't many mid-fielders like Iniesta/Xavi who can get the ball forward like they do.

Of course he'd score less goals, did Ronaldo get close to 50 goals a season in the prem? Never...would he get anywhere near it in any team? No chance. Spain is a two horse race so naturally goal scoring is overrated in the top teams, however people bring up Messi's reliance on Xavi and Iniesta and yet he has as many if not more assists, his passing albeit not as good is still sharp, and half the time he can take on about four players, he did it numerous times against ManU. Its not like he gets a defence splitting ball every time and all his goals come from that, like Hernandez this season. He'd score less goals undoubtedly, but the idea that he couldn't cope in the EPL is madness, he manages to scythe through the best defensive team in the champions league and the premier league and yet he couldn't score goals in the EPL?...Its a ridiculous notion.

Quick Reply

Latest