The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Paper Just Gone?

Hello,

Recently I just took the Maths Linear GCSE Paper from Edexcel. There was a very odd question in it which went like this:

8 - ? 18 all divided by ? 2 = a +b? 2

Find a and b.

It went something like that. Anyway, surely that can't be solved because there's no other equation to go with it and if try solving for a or b individually then it just cancels out?

Please help! I am just wondering because of all the recent paper blunders that've happened.
Reply 1
The ?s are just square root symbols

I repeat : The ?s are just square root symbols
Reply 2
Go on Mr M's thread he has ALL the answers xo
Reply 3
Original post by AtlasRezzed
Hello,

Recently I just took the Maths Linear GCSE Paper from Edexcel. There was a very odd question in it which went like this:

8 - ? 18 all divided by ? 2 = a +b? 2

Find a and b.

It went something like that. Anyway, surely that can't be solved because there's no other equation to go with it and if try solving for a or b individually then it just cancels out?

Please help! I am just wondering because of all the recent paper blunders that've happened.

18=(9)(2)=32[br][br]dividethroughbytwo:[br][br](832)/2=41.52\sqrt{18} = \sqrt{(9)(2)} = 3\sqrt{2}[br][br]divide through by two:[br][br](8-3\sqrt{2})/2 = 4-1.5\sqrt{2}
Reply 4
Sorry, it's all divided by root 2. But I know how to do it now anyway, thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Sorry, it's all divided by root 2. But I know how to do it now anyway, thanks :smile:

oops didn't see that bit, sorry :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by OwenP277
oops didn't see that bit, sorry :tongue:

Yeah, my bad. I thought the root symbols would show but they didn't unfortunately. Apparently to do it you rationalize the denominator and stuff - but what I thought was HOW BADLY the question was shown, like the find a and b bit looked like another part of the equation, but it meant put it in the form of a + b to find a + b :/
Reply 7
Yeah, my bad. I thought the root symbols would show but they didn't unfortunately. Apparently to do it you rationalize the denominator and stuff - but what I thought was HOW BADLY the question was shown, like the find a and b bit looked like another part of the equation, but it meant put it in the form of a + b to find a + b :/

lol i know what you mean i do that in exams all the time :rolleyes:

and btw if you want to do square roots or anything in the future click here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending