The Student Room Group

What is the maximum amount of A-level courses you could pick for college?

I'm confused because people are telling me different things. Some guy said you can pick as much as you want, some say only four, and others say you can pick 5.

Can I have a final factual answer please once and fpr all. And if you can pick more, what do you have to do to be able to do them? :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by Eager bug
I'm confused because people are telling me different things. Some guy said you can pick as much as you want, some say only four, and others say you can pick 5.

Can I have a final factual answer please once and fpr all. And if you can pick more, what do you have to do to be able to do them? :confused:

The limit will be how many your college will allow due to timetabling constraints- usually 5 plus General Studies or Critical Thinking during school hours. And most colleges will ask for top GCSE results for people to take more than the usual 4 AS Levels.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000

Original post by jelly1000
The limit will be how many your college will allow due to timetabling constraints- usually 5 plus General Studies or Critical Thinking during school hours. And most colleges will ask for top GCSE results for people to take more than the usual 4 AS Levels.

This :yep:
Three, if you want to stay sane.
Original post by Eager bug

The national average seems to be about three
Original post by de_monies

Original post by de_monies
The national average seems to be about three

Many places require you do to more than three, in order to get maximum funding.
At ours, people usually picked between 3 and 5 AS subjects (depending on thier GCSE grades) and then General studies was a compulsory extra.

I did 4 subjects plus GS and Critical thinking at AS, but dropped down to 4 for A2, also did EPQ.

I suppose the maximum you could do would be 7 (5 plus GS and CT) but for your own sanity, DON'T DO THAT!

I don't hink many people carry on with 5 to A2, they drop to 4. I'd say 3 or 4's probably the average :smile:

But university offers are usually based on 3 grades, and most don't take GS into account.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd take four, with the potential to drop to three after AS. I get that you might want to stretch yourself and if you can, why not? But I really don't think it is worth the stress of doing more than 4. You will have more than enough work to keep you busy!
Reply 8
Yes, the national average is 3. However, you can take 4 at AS and then drop one, which is what most people do. Some don't drop it however and stick to 4.

But, if you have around 70% of your GCSE grades at A/A* (or just the relevant one for the courses you're taking) then you can do 5 (excluding general studies).

That's for open schools that anyone can attend providing they have the grades required. Grammar/Private school let you do 6 if you're a strong candidate which most are. I'm not sure if they let you do anymore than 6.

In Pakistan/India they let you do as many as you like, the world record was set by a Pakistani who did 23 A-Levels.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fluteflute
Many places require you do to more than three, in order to get maximum funding.

True; I'm just going by what the national average is. The school that I went to made you do four, plus general studies and possibly critical thinking

I know someone in a local school who is using "critical thinking" as one of their A levels!
Reply 10
Come on,
people around Europe do 8 subjects and more at once, including Antropology, Ethics, Contemporary Science or Pscychology, even if you're going to study something completeley different. I don't claim that this is a better system, I only point out that doing 5 or 4 A-levels shouldn't be such an heroic deed.
Reply 11
4 A levels is doable but its a lot of work, you wont have much free time especially at A2 level. And there isnt a lower offer with 4 A levels than 3 A levels usually, so for AS i would advise do 4, and if you can deal with them easily do all 4 at a level, otherwise drop to 3.
Original post by InfinitelyVixey
At ours, people usually picked between 3 and 5 AS subjects (depending on thier GCSE grades) and then General studies was a compulsory extra.

I did 4 subjects plus GS and Critical thinking at AS, but dropped down to 4 for A2, also did EPQ.

I suppose the maximum you could do would be 7 (5 plus GS and CT) but for your own sanity, DON'T DO THAT!

I don't hink many people carry on with 5 to A2, they drop to 4. I'd say 3 or 4's probably the average :smile:

But university offers are usually based on 3 grades, and most don't take GS into account.

Which college did you go to ? ,
for*

Quick Reply

Latest