The Student Room Group

Can I afford to go to KCL or UCL as a low-income household?

My dream university is King's College in London, it has been for 4 years now, but my household's annual income is roughly £26,000. This is slightly above the threshold to receive lots on financial support. My mum can't provide any financial support for me at all despite this, as she has other bills (mortgage, etc) and my younger brother. I've already been told by her I will have to look at unis where I can live at home but these ones have bad reps and don't require the high grades I worked hard for. Could I afford to go to King's College London with the bursaries and loans they provide or will I have to forget these and look elsewhere?
Original post by stephie06
My dream university is King's College in London, it has been for 4 years now, but my household's annual income is roughly £26,000. This is slightly above the threshold to receive lots on financial support. My mum can't provide any financial support for me at all despite this, as she has other bills (mortgage, etc) and my younger brother. I've already been told by her I will have to look at unis where I can live at home but these ones have bad reps and don't require the high grades I worked hard for. Could I afford to go to King's College London with the bursaries and loans they provide or will I have to forget these and look elsewhere?

Where do you live? What bursaries do King's (or UCL) provide?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Where do you live? What bursaries do King's (or UCL) provide?

I mean, I don't think I'll be saying where I live, but the main uni here is the butt of many jokes and nobody around here aspires to go there. I can't recall off the top of my head which bursaries they provide, that was partly what I wanted to know, if another low-income student had gone there and their experience of the support
I mean, I don't think I'll be saying where I live, but the main uni here is the butt of many jokes and nobody around here aspires to go there. I can't recall off the top of my head which bursaries they provide, that was partly what I wanted to know, if another low-income student had gone there and their experience of the support

Well, details of bursaries etc will be in their websites.
Reply 4
Reply 5

An undergraduate Law, and I've seen the bursary as £1,500 twice per annum, however I know this can't be the whole amount I should receive as when I look it up, not on the website, other threads say they received roughly £5000, so I'm unsure if this is outside the King's Living Bursary which the £1,500 is

From what you say regarding household income and having a dependant sibling, I think you would be eligible for the maximum loan for a student studying in London and not living at home - currently around £13,002 - as student finance deduct an amount (around £1,000) from parental income for any child that is dependant on them.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Reply 7
Original post by normaw
From what you say regarding household income and having a dependant sibling, I think you would be eligible for the maximum loan for a student studying in London and not living at home - currently around £13,002 - as student finance deduct an amount (around £1,000) from parental income for any child that is dependant on them.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Ok, that's actually really helpful thank you, based off knowing that I ought to be able to afford to go and get accommodation ,etc. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending