The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Splat.

Out I popped out of my mothers womb into the arms of the midwife. I might have been just a few femtoseconds old by that point, but I knew it, my mum knew it (I could just tell from her approving smile), in fact everyone in that delivery room knew it - I was destined to become a doctor! That thought, that dream, my destiny hit me harder than slap of the midwife on my butt cheeks very soon afterwards to check how I was adapting to extra uterine life. To be honest I'm not entirely sure I even need your medical school to become a doctor - I'm only doing this as a matter of formality - studying medicine is my destiny and even you can't get in the way of it (with all due respect of course :wink:)!

Yeah, that ought to do the trick.
Reply 2
start by answering the question: why do you want to medicine at uni??

so answer by starting: I wana do medicine at uni because ... i dunno im enthusiastic to help peoples standard of llife...
etc!!
Original post by Medicine Man

Splat.

Out I popped out of my mothers womb into the arms of the midwife. I might have been just a few femtoseconds old by that point, but I knew it, my mum knew it (I could just tell from her approving smile), in fact everyone in that delivery room knew it - I was destined to become a doctor! That thought, that dream, my destiny hit me harder than slap of the midwife on my butt cheeks very soon afterwards to check how I was adapting to extra uterine life. To be honest I'm not entirely sure I even need your medical school to become a doctor - I'm only doing this as a matter of formality - studying medicine is my destiny and even you can't get in the way of it (with all due respect of course :wink:)!

Haha good one :smile:
Reply 4
I have found the cure for cancer.....letz me inz and u canz has it
Reply 5
Something that'll make admissions tutors sit up and think "Oooh, this is different!", because remember they'll be seeing thousands of personal statements and the vast majority of those are going to open with something like "I have always wanted to be a doctor..." or "I want to study medicine because...". I started my (History) personal statement with a quote about history.

Here's a sample one with a good opening:
http://www.studential.com/bio/getps.asp?ps=503
The candidate (claims) to have got 4 interviews and 4 offers.

Splat.

You legend :awesome:
Original post by LewDacris

Original post by LewDacris
I have found the cure for cancer.....letz me inz and u canz has it

:ahee:
Reply 8
Okay so we know voodoo and homoeopathic medicine works better than western one but I couldn't find any course for those in UCAS so I'm stuck with this. Are you going to take me or not?
Reply 9
It's called a personal statement for a reason :smile: So no..
Reply 10
"Sweeny Todd's comprehension of the human anatomy has always fascinated me..."
Reply 11
MEDICINE. The final frontier.
I shall either be a healer of men, or a vengeful scourge upon humanity. Do you really want that blood on your hands?

I thought not, I'll be waiting for your unconditional offer.

<Or if you prefer:>

Hitler was rejected from art school and went on to kill 6 million Jews.

Imagine what might happen if I don't get into med school.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by liaf
"Sweeny Todd's comprehension of the human anatomy has always fascinated me..."

ha nice!
Original post by becko37
Something that'll make admissions tutors sit up and think &quot;Oooh, this is different!&quot;, because remember they'll be seeing thousands of personal statements and the vast majority of those are going to open with something like &quot;I have always wanted to be a doctor...&quot; or &quot;I want to study medicine because...&quot;. I started my (History) personal statement with a quote about history.

Here's a sample one with a good opening:
http://www.studential.com/bio/getps.asp?ps=503
The candidate (claims) to have got 4 interviews and 4 offers.

Apparently a load of people copied that a few years ago. Needless to say, admissions tutors weren't impressed! Not sure if anything like that would work now, given that it's a famous opening.

OP - there are lots of examples on the TSR Wiki, use them for inspiration. As another has said, it's to briefly answer the question 'why medicine?' so start from there :smile:
Splat.

THIS. :wink:

I rate you man. You're well creative!
"Ever since I was 8 and caught my pyjamas on fire from a home chemistry kit, I've had a passion for science..."

It's a classic for a reason.
I have a theory!
Everyone is going to try and make their opening sentence different, thus everyone creates a PS with the same opening. So by just putting a normal, average start, you will stand out as your the only one who didn't try to be different.

I'm kidding of course, that was complete bull.
I am unoriginal and inept and I stole this line from tsr.
Splat.

LOL

Latest

Trending

Trending