The Student Room Group

Maths personal statement

I am stuck on the opening paragraph on why I want to study mathematics. I just want to genuinely talk about how my interest was sparked but because it is a extremely simple concept of mathematics, I do not know whether I should mention it or not.
Original post by gnwolx_07
I am stuck on the opening paragraph on why I want to study mathematics. I just want to genuinely talk about how my interest was sparked but because it is a extremely simple concept of mathematics, I do not know whether I should mention it or not.

Hi @gnwolx_07

Although I didn't apply for mathematics and study fashion design, I thought I could offer some advice.

I actually wrote two personal statements as I decided to study a foundation year instead of going to university the first time. When it came to reapplying the following year, I re-read my personal statement in the hope to re use some of it and I realised how bad it actually was. The books I'd mentioned I had only read a few pages from, any artists or designers I said I liked I couldn't even remember and it altogether felt like I hadn't written it.

So, I would suggest writing your personal statement expressing your genuine interest in your subject - even if that does mean simple concepts. I have learnt that I personal statement should sound like your voice saying the statement to the universities. Of course try your best to write in a formal manner, but it should still feel like a student who is excited about their chosen subject is visible in the text.

I tried to include why I love my subject, who inspires me, why I think university is right for me, what I want to learn and improve, and also what I'd like to do in the future as these are genuine things I wanted my potential universities to know about me.

There is a lot of pressure put onto writing a personal statement but it doesn't have to be as complex as it seems. Maybe try sitting with a friend or tutor and spend a minute saying why you like mathematics and have them make notes. Then you can look at what you've said and re-write the notes in a more formal manner. This can be repeated for most of the statement by asking yourself questions like "what do I enjoy about Maths?", "why do I want to study it at university?" and so on.

I hope this helps and good luck with your application!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @gnwolx_07

Although I didn't apply for mathematics and study fashion design, I thought I could offer some advice.

I actually wrote two personal statements as I decided to study a foundation year instead of going to university the first time. When it came to reapplying the following year, I re-read my personal statement in the hope to re use some of it and I realised how bad it actually was. The books I'd mentioned I had only read a few pages from, any artists or designers I said I liked I couldn't even remember and it altogether felt like I hadn't written it.

So, I would suggest writing your personal statement expressing your genuine interest in your subject - even if that does mean simple concepts. I have learnt that I personal statement should sound like your voice saying the statement to the universities. Of course try your best to write in a formal manner, but it should still feel like a student who is excited about their chosen subject is visible in the text.

I tried to include why I love my subject, who inspires me, why I think university is right for me, what I want to learn and improve, and also what I'd like to do in the future as these are genuine things I wanted my potential universities to know about me.

There is a lot of pressure put onto writing a personal statement but it doesn't have to be as complex as it seems. Maybe try sitting with a friend or tutor and spend a minute saying why you like mathematics and have them make notes. Then you can look at what you've said and re-write the notes in a more formal manner. This can be repeated for most of the statement by asking yourself questions like "what do I enjoy about Maths?", "why do I want to study it at university?" and so on.

I hope this helps and good luck with your application!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Thank you so much for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending