The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2012 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
Also, does anyone know if you can go into clearing if you got into your insurance? I can't seem to find it anywhere... Or if you exceed your insurance are you eligible for adjustment?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 2001
Original post by loz876
Yeah, see I'd love to do a maths degree (not so much at aberdeen, not sure why I picked it), and I could probably find a good one through clearing. But career wise, I don't want to be a teacher/banker/anything else maths related... And I don't really know if you can do grad medicine after maths, plus it's so competitive!!

I know! I'd really enjoy doing something like a physics course as I have a kinda sad, geeky soft spot for it. But I don't know what I'd do from there :/ And if I wanted to go grad, it'd make sense to do something like biomed, but I wouldn't really want to do that course... Still, cross that bridge if we get it.

Original post by loz876
Also, does anyone know if you can go into clearing if you got into your insurance? I can't seem to find it anywhere... Or if you exceed your insurance are you eligible for adjustment?

I think if you wanted to enter clearing, you'd have to get Aberdeen to release you (but don't quote me on that). And I'm afraid you aren't eligible for adjustment ww.ucas.com/students/nextsteps/adjustment/facts
Reply 2002
Original post by Jamal B
I know! I'd really enjoy doing something like a physics course as I have a kinda sad, geeky soft spot for it. But I don't know what I'd do from there :/ And if I wanted to go grad, it'd make sense to do something like biomed, but I wouldn't really want to do that course... Still, cross that bridge if we get it.

I think if you wanted to enter clearing, you'd have to get Aberdeen to release you (but don't quote me on that). And I'm afraid you aren't eligible for adjustment ww.ucas.com/students/nextsteps/adjustment/facts

Yeah, I know I have 10 days yet and there's nothing I can do but pray it doesn't come down to it! But i gotta have a plan.. I'll probably take a gap year. There's a couple med school that accept resits without extenuating circumstances, but I don't want to go back to sixth form for another year. If its not meant to be then its not meant to be!

I know a few people in my year who missed their offers by 1 grade and rang up begging and got their spot, so just be ready to do that. It's a big year group they've got to fill up remember, so there's probably a touch more leniency. That said, i'm sure it varies from year to year, but if everyone's panicking about a chem paper then all the other applicants will be in the same boat.
Original post by hoonosewot
I know a few people in my year who missed their offers by 1 grade and rang up begging and got their spot, so just be ready to do that. It's a big year group they've got to fill up remember, so there's probably a touch more leniency. That said, i'm sure it varies from year to year, but if everyone's panicking about a chem paper then all the other applicants will be in the same boat.

:eek: there's hope!! :smile:
I just put their number into my phonebook :colondollar:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2005
Original post by spoinkytheduck
:eek: there's hope!! :smile:
I just put their number into my phonebook :colondollar:

Good idea :P is it the number for the med school?

Original post by loz876
Good idea :P is it the number for the med school?

I think it was listed as med school admissions office: 0191 222 7005
I hope it's that, but if anyone could check that would be great :tongue:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2007

Thanks! Gotta be prepared if.it comes to the worst :s

Reply 2008
I can't offer any advice - just wanted to say you're not the only one stressing, pretty sure chem5 has screwed it up for me too :frown:
I imagine it's not too likely, although I don't know much about their leniency... I guess I'll just ring up and beg anyway if I get AAB :colondollar:

Out of interest, do you know what you'd do if worst did come to worse and you couldn't get in?
Original post by Jamal B
Out of interest, do you know what you'd do if worst did come to worse and you couldn't get in?

Retake and reapply to the unis that let you resit without extenuating circumstances, I think. Or apply for a foundation course or something but retaking is most likely. I don't really have any liking for other courses and I could live with working in a supermarket and reapplying forever until I get in I suppose :tongue:

How will you get your results before you know whether you are in or not?

I will know whether im in at like 5 in the morning, and my actual grades at 7. So isnt that too late?
Original post by NinjaRikki
How will you get your results before you know whether you are in or not?

I will know whether im in at like 5 in the morning, and my actual grades at 7. So isnt that too late?

How do you know whether you are in at 5?
I'm just going to ring and beg if it says I'm unsuccessful on UCAS. I get my results at 6 so hopefully be able to ring them as soon as if it's bad news.
But let's be positive people!! We'll all get in!! Right...? :redface:

(edited 11 years ago)
Congrats fresher medics of 2012! Looking forward to seeing you all!

http://www.nusu.co.uk/freshershome/#C1

Can't wait until freshers week! Anyone else going to get a wristband?
Hi Can anybody tell me the minimum GCSE req's for Newcastle for Medicine???

Pleaseeeeeeeeee
Original post by sambell131
Hi Can anybody tell me the minimum GCSE req's for Newcastle for Medicine???

Pleaseeeeeeeeee

Do you have B's in English and Maths?

Do you have A's in the sciences your not continuing onto a-level?

Then yes.
Just want to make sure to relieve my worries. Of the paperwork received in te registration pack, do we need to send anything before we arrive, or is all the paperwork needed in the intro week?
Just want to make sure to relieve my worries. Of the paperwork received in te registration pack, do we need to send anything before we arrive, or is all the paperwork needed in the intro week?

Pretty sure we just need to bring some of the stuff with us to Freshers.

On another note, two more weeks of work and then I'm free!
Reply 2017

I don't think I sent anything before, no. :smile:
Reply 2018

I haven't sent anything off :smile:
Well, its my last day at work tomorrow. Can't believe us graduates start uni on Monday. Looking forward to seeing you all again.......and getting access to the library before the A100 starts!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending