The Student Room Group

Is getting a tutor worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chicharito14
Hi, no. I had a separate tutor for each subject. Maths tutor was £25 an hour. Economics tutor was £26 an hour, but then charged a couple of quid for travelling to my house. Ended up giving £30. Was ridiculous giving £60, then getting like £1/2 in change back lol.

I wouldnt recommend having 2 hours for each subject every week. Firstly cos it is expensive, secondly, concentration levels (for me anyway) dropped after 90 mins.

I would recommend doing 1-2 hours though in a build up to an exam, definately helps.

Wow. Don't think I can afford that...I've got like £75 a week I could spend.
Exam time would be expensive :P
Any ideas where to find a decent tutor?
Original post by Ryan-Hetherington
Wow. Don't think I can afford that...I've got like £75 a week I could spend.
Exam time would be expensive :P

Woah, that is a fair amount.

What you could do is experiment on how much tuition you have per week, to see which benefits you the most.

Then if you don't need to spend all the £75, you could save it, then use the money from that for the tuition during exam times?

Food for thought there.
I had a tutor for a few weeks and it helped somewhat, after a while I didn't need a tutor because I realised the problem lied with my own learning techniques! So once that was sorted I was fine
Original post by Chicharito14
Woah, that is a fair amount.

What you could do is experiment on how much tuition you have per week, to see which benefits you the most.

Then if you don't need to spend all the £75, you could save it, then use the money from that for the tuition during exam times?

Food for thought there.

Yeah, maybe.
3 hours - £60
Save £15 x16 weeks until Jan.

Extra 3 hours a week at exam time.

Good plan, thanks :P
I hope so!
I know someone who is going to get their GCSE results in a few weeks. Their mum spent a LOT on tutors, especially for Maths.
The dumb thing is that she wants him to do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and another academic subject at college... When he struggled with GCSEs in these subjects, even with tutoring as well as lessons at school.
Original post by BackDoorEntry
I had a tutor for a few weeks and it helped somewhat, after a while I didn't need a tutor because I realised the problem lied with my own learning techniques! So once that was sorted I was fine

What were your issues (just curious)?
Yeah, maybe.
3 hours - £60
Save £15 x16 weeks until Jan.

Extra 3 hours a week at exam time.

Good plan, thanks :P

Haha no worries man, all the best.
What were your issues (just curious)?

Not spending enough time and effort on studies, learning my textbook(s) off by heart but not perfecting my technique through exam papers and mark schemes, analysing examiners reports and mark schemes to tailor my answers exactly to the letter, not just learning but understanding how everything links together.. stuff along those lines.

Finding a good one is the difficult part, I happened to know mine (he taught my sister when she was doing her A-Levels 15 years ago) so maybe just ask around, like ask your teachers if any of their friends want to do it, or something like that.
Original post by planetconwy1
Finding a good one is the difficult part, I happened to know mine (he taught my sister when she was doing her A-Levels 15 years ago) so maybe just ask around, like ask your teachers if any of their friends want to do it, or something like that.

Ok, cool. Thanks.
Reply 31
I'm not doing sciences or maths but i've also had problems with organization and i think my results aren't going to be great because of that. A personal tutor would be a good idea if they could help with that
Reply 32

Hi, I'm a maths tutor, but I live in the London area.

I recommend http://www.tutors4me.co.uk/ as it is free. You can search for tutors in your area, and their profiles should give you an idea of what they're like.
You'll find out whether they're right for you once you start having lessons. You can try a few until you find the perfect match!

Good luck.

i've done quite a bit of tutoring in the past and have advertised on www.firsttutors.co.uk. its good and you can find uni students on there(like me) who dont charge too much. Also a cheaper tutor doesnt necessarily mean a bad one, i only charged £12-15 ph and my tutees had a good improvement of grades. Also conisder online tutoring as its a bit cheaper

Quick Reply

Latest