The Student Room Group

Resitting A-levels online

So I am 19 and am looking to redo my A-levels as I did awful and got a DDE in my original A-Levels due to me being ignorant and not putting in the work. I believe I am a lot more mature now and am ready to learn properly and give it a go again. The problem is that I cannot find anywhere online that doesn’t either look scammy or just not worth it.

If anybody has any online A-level experience in the past or knows a lot about them I would really appreciate some help on where to go for online A-levels. Please may you put down some suggestions if possible and if you are putting down suggestions put the BEST suggestions down there (not best for value).

Two of the three A-Levels I want to take again and I want to add a new subject in there. The subjects are: Economics (Already taken), Maths (Already taken) and Politics (New subject).

Any suggestions will help and if you think it is not worth it to take an online course then please also let me know.

❤️
Original post by finbudd33
So I am 19 and am looking to redo my A-levels as I did awful and got a DDE in my original A-Levels due to me being ignorant and not putting in the work. I believe I am a lot more mature now and am ready to learn properly and give it a go again. The problem is that I cannot find anywhere online that doesn’t either look scammy or just not worth it.

If anybody has any online A-level experience in the past or knows a lot about them I would really appreciate some help on where to go for online A-levels. Please may you put down some suggestions if possible and if you are putting down suggestions put the BEST suggestions down there (not best for value).

Two of the three A-Levels I want to take again and I want to add a new subject in there. The subjects are: Economics (Already taken), Maths (Already taken) and Politics (New subject).

Any suggestions will help and if you think it is not worth it to take an online course then please also let me know.

❤️
I'm in Yr12. I've looked into online courses for A-Levels, I actually bought one in September - Wolsey Hall Oxford. It's pretty expensive and I actually cancelled after a few weeks. You get given access to a tutor, but it's limited, the lessons were basically just information then some worksheets/youtube videos and then it told you to answer something in your textbook. It's like £1000 a course, including the textbooks and some online subscriptions, a tutor marks set assignments and the topic tests, the exam fees are not included, so you have to find a test centre near you that offers those A-Levels. Personally I quit because I found it boring and expensive (I don't necessarily think it's overpriced, I just wasn't getting my money's worth out of it)-I could probably just buy some workbooks and look up youtube videos related to my subjects or hire a tutor.

I'm on the platform Cloudlearn for Economics now, it's the same type of guided self study with the information and external links, there is a tutor- there are no set assignments, only tests at the end of each unit then I think 4 or 5 mocks that are marked by the tutor. It's not the most interesting and I have a separate tutor once a week, so I cover about 3-4 online lessons a week then for the tutor sessions it's recap/help if I don't understand some things. I payed £400 for the course, and I've got access to it for 24 months, it's not including exam fees, they're booked separately. Overall I think this works better for me, but without having a separate face-to-face tutor I don't think I would be doing that well. That being said, if I could afford it, I think I would just have a tutor multiple times a week instead maybe.

I haven't got personal experience but King's Interhigh is meant to be good - it's more like a school because the lessons are in real-time and timetabled, basically like you are in a classroom, the video calls are also recorded so you can go back and watch. If you want interaction with a tutor and probably more support this looks good. The cost is about £1300 a half-term for 3 A-Levels. The downside (in my opinion) compared to other online learning platforms is that you can't study whenever due to the live lessons, and the thing I like about self-study is I can get it all done on on day if I want then I've studied all I need to for the week.

Hope this helps!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghibliimoon
Original post by finbudd33

❤️
I'm in Yr12. I've looked into online courses for A-Levels, I actually bought one in September - Wolsey Hall Oxford. It's pretty expensive and I actually cancelled after a few weeks. You get given access to a tutor, but it's limited, the lessons were basically just information then some worksheets/youtube videos and then it told you to answer something in your textbook. It's like £1000 a course, including the textbooks and some online subscriptions, a tutor marks set assignments and the topic tests, the exam fees are not included. Personally I quit because I found it boring and expensive (I don't necessarily think it's overpriced, I just wasn't getting my money's worth out of it)-I could probably just buy some workbooks and look up youtube videos related to my subjects or hire a tutor.

I'm on the platform Cloudlearn for Economics now, it's the same type of guided self study with the information and external links, there is a tutor- there are no set assignments, only tests at the end of each unit then I think 4 or 5 mocks that are marked by the tutor. It's not the most interesting and I have a separate tutor once a week, so I cover about 3-4 online lessons a week then for the tutor sessions it's recap/help if I don't understand some things. I payed £400 for the course, and I've got access to it for 24 months, it's not including exam fees, they're booked separately. Overall I think this works better for me, but without having a separate face-to-face tutor I don't think I would be doing that well. That being said, if I could afford it, I think I would just have a tutor multiple times a week instead maybe.

I haven't got personal experience but King's Interhigh is meant to be good - it's more like a school because the lessons are in real-time and timetabled, basically like you are in a classroom, the video calls are also recorded so you can go back and watch. If you want interaction with a tutor and probably more support this looks good. The cost is about £1300 a term I think for 3 A-Levels. The downside (in my opinion) compared to other online learning platforms is that you can't study whenever due to the live lessons, and the thing I like about self-study is I can get it all done on on day if I want then I've studied all I need to for the week.

Hope this helps!

Absolute legend. Cheers for the advice and hope your A-Level journey goes well ❤️👍🏽

Quick Reply

Latest