The Student Room Group

Gcse extra marks if friend dies?

My friend unexpectedly passed away in her sleep in the second week of my exams with 3 weeks to go, I was distraught as this was one of my closest friends that one day didn't wake up. I know that my exams were 100% effected by this, as I would break down in the exam etc. I managed to complete all my exams etc, but was hard especially as I had been predicted straight a's and a*. At the time i didn't care or even think about my gcses or the results of what would become of them....expectedly. But 3 months later i am wondering will i get any compensation etc?

I know the school wrote to my exam board, but i didnt really look into it much. My friend who passed was at my old school that i moved from last year, but a few in my school knew her, but not nearly as well as I did but it was very well known.

I dont really know what to expect at all with my results and i am wondering what will happen to my grades?

Thanks x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Okay, this may not help but really? Your friend passes away and your concern is grades? Anyway, I think you will get slight consideration. If it helps; GCSE grades really don't mean anything! All you're looking to do is get into sixth form and that just requires (around) 5 passes.

My friends brother died when he was doing his A2's, and this affected him slightly and he missed his offer by 2 grades. As such, the university said "Do your A-Levels again and if you get the grades you will have a guaranteed place at our University, regardless of whether the requirements change."

However, I reiterate, your GCSEs are actually very insignificant in the scheme of things. Don't worry too much about it, they will be considerate whether it is in giving you extra marks or allowing you to re-enter Sixth Form or College with lower grades.

I'm very sorry for your loss, that must suck :frown:
Reply 2
Not sure about the passing away of a friend..
But I heard that if a family member passed during the course of the examinations, you do get an extra boost.
Reply 3
I heard that some time qgo someone killed themself in a gcse exam by ramming a pencil into the eye. The other students were so traumatised that they all got straight A's by default.

Probs just a rumour though...
If your school's written to the exam boards then I'm sure they'll take that into account when marking your papers. I'm not sure exactly what the policy is but I do think something is done, either giving you extra marks or being more lenient with them. To be honest, the best thing to do would be to talk to your school as they'll be able to tell you what will happen.
There's nothing you can do now but wait and see what you get. If you're really unhappy then you can always retake some, I'm sure your school will let you.

Good luck, and sorry for your loss.
You need to make sure your school has applied for special consideration. There's a sliding scale for this depending on how "serious" the problem was that affected your results. The maximum % of mark increase you can get is 5% and that's for things like death of a family member; I don't know how much leeway you'd get with the death of someone who isn't related because the issue the examboard might have is, you could say that anyone who died that day was your best friend. At least with parents, you can prove that you're related.

I suggest you check now before the results come out whether the school applied for special consideration and if not, then your case is filed sooner rather than later.

I've just had the same issue. My examination was disrupted and although I asked my school to apply for special consideration, it failed to do so. So now I'm stuck in a dispute with school and a missed offer for my firm choice university.
Original post by ShakeyJJ
Okay, this may not help but really? Your friend passes away and your concern is grades?

Yes, she should not think about the rest of her life and how it pans out, but be totally absorbed with grief and self pity, ignoring arguably the most important exams of her life. Please.
Reply 7
Original post by TheTidders
I heard that some time qgo someone killed themself in a gcse exam by ramming a pencil into the eye. The other students were so traumatised that they all got straight A's by default.

Probs just a rumour though...

:lolwut:
Oh, that's pretty awful. :frown:
I don't think it's going to matter that much though; extenuating circumstances don't really come into measure until A-Levels. At GCSE, so long as you get 5 C's including English/Maths/Science, it doesn't matter. Just focus on doing better in year 12 and 13. I had kind of a similar situation last year, my teacher rang the exam board who said if my results were affected and I did badly in a subject that would affect whether I'd get into uni or not, then I should state the circumstances of why I'd done badly so they could take it into consideration etc. But if the bad grade wouldn't really affect what I wanted to do at Uni then it didn't matter that much really (cause it was only GCSEs, not a-levels).
Original post by ktlaurenroe
Oh, that's pretty awful. :frown:
I don't think it's going to matter that much though; extenuating circumstances don't really come into measure until A-Levels. At GCSE, so long as you get 5 C's including English/Maths/Science, it doesn't matter. Just focus on doing better in year 12 and 13. I had kind of a similar situation last year, my teacher rang the exam board who said if my results were affected and I did badly in a subject that would affect whether I'd get into uni or not, then I should state the circumstances of why I'd done badly so they could take it into consideration etc. But if the bad grade wouldn't really affect what I wanted to do at Uni then it didn't matter that much really (cause it was only GCSEs, not a-levels).

hmmmmmm no.
For people applying for medicine/to Cambridge GCSEs really do have to be top notch.
Original post by bumblehoneybee
hmmmmmm no.
For people applying for medicine/to Cambridge GCSEs really do have to be top notch.

Well, I'm not applying for either of those...
Reply 11
If the school wrote to your exam board then hopefully they would have taken it into consideration. someone in my year died before a couple of exams and it had a massive effect on our whole year, I think we all got a slight consideration because of the circumstances. Don't worry too much about it though, hopefully you'll still have done well. Sorry for your loss too x
Reply 12
Sorry about your friend. My Dad died and I took an exam about 3 weeks later but I didn't get anything extra so I'm not sure? :/
Reply 13
Original post by FallenProject
Yes, she should not think about the rest of her life and how it pans out, but be totally absorbed with grief and self pity, ignoring arguably the most important exams of her life. Please.

"The most important exams of her life."

You're either in year 10 or have done no exams. GCSE's mean nothing in the scheme of things, and even if you consider them important, they don't hold a candle to AS or A-Levels. Never mind the exams taken in University. Exams to get you into jobs. GCSEs, in fact, are arguably the LEAST important exams in life. Sort it out. Also, nice for quoting my first line and not the other paragraph of helpful information, you intolerable ****.
"The most important exams of her life."

You're either in year 10 or have done no exams. GCSE's mean nothing in the scheme of things, and even if you consider them important, they don't hold a candle to AS or A-Levels. Never mind the exams taken in University. Exams to get you into jobs. GCSEs, in fact, are arguably the LEAST important exams in life. Sort it out. Also, nice for quoting my first line and not the other paragraph of helpful information, you intolerable ****.

You are either in year 10, or you are actually ten. I have just got my A level results back. I'm afraid they do hold a candle to other exams, universities won't even consider you if you have bad GCSEs - and the top universities won't consider you even if you have average GCSEs.

If we're talking about misquoting, I said "arguably" the most important exams. My point still stands though, you insufferable ****.
Reply 15

You are either in year 10, or you are actually ten. I have just got my A level results back. I'm afraid they do hold a candle to other exams, universities won't even consider you if you have bad GCSEs - and the top universities won't consider you even if you have average GCSEs.

If we're talking about misquoting, I said "arguably" the most important exams. My point still stands though, you insufferable ****.

I have average GCSEs and I'm going to university. They mean nothing. I reiterate, AS, A, Uni and job exams are all far more important. So no, they aren't arguably the most important exams of anyones life, because those are 100% more important. The end.
Reply 16
My only problem is that it's so arbitrary, can you really convert mourning into exam marks? Is a pet work 10 marks, a friend worth 20, a grandparent 30, and a parent or sibling 50? No matter what system is used, how is that being worked out exactly?
I have average GCSEs and I'm going to university. They mean nothing. I reiterate, AS, A, Uni and job exams are all far more important. So no, they aren't arguably the most important exams of anyones life, because those are 100% more important. The end.

You are either purposefully misreading me, or incredibly stupid. I said TOP UNIS care about TOP GCSEs unless you're going to an under applied course. Don't quite know how you're disagreeing with that - oh wait, you're creating a straw man by going on about normal university with average grades. GCSEs determine unis looking at you, and follow through with A levels to get the place. :cool:
Reply 18

You are either purposefully misreading me, or incredibly stupid. I said TOP UNIS care about TOP GCSEs unless you're going to an under applied course. Don't quite know how you're disagreeing with that - oh wait, you're creating a straw man by going on about normal university with average grades. GCSEs determine unis looking at you, and follow through with A levels to get the place. :cool:

I was offered places at Liverpool, Goldsmiths, Salford and Nottingham Trent. Of course though, a redbrick isn't a top university, is it?! You just haven't got a clue. GCSEs are called on if your A-Level predictions aren't good enough. Your A-Level predictions are based on exams you do at the start of year 12. Ergo, those exams are more important than GCSEs. Yes?
I was offered places at Liverpool, Goldsmiths, Salford and Nottingham Trent. Of course though, a redbrick isn't a top university, is it?! You just haven't got a clue. GCSEs are called on if your A-Level predictions aren't good enough. Your A-Level predictions are based on exams you do at the start of year 12. Ergo, those exams are more important than GCSEs. Yes?

If you stop saying 'you're an idiot/you don't get it/insert arbitrary insult here' then maybe you'd have seen what I said. Universities will chuck your application if you have bad GCSEs straight away. If you have good GCSEs but bad predictions, then they can take a chance with you. If you have bad GCSEs but good A level predictions, I doubt they'd take a second look.

The only solid ground universities have to go on is your GSCEs.

If I was to stoop to your level of comparing dick sizes, I'd mention I'm going to Durham - but I don't do that sort of thing.

Plus, this is not germane to the thread.

Quick Reply

Latest