The Student Room Group

Why do girls spend sooo much effort on their nails????

as per title....

i see ALOT of girls aged 16 - 50+ who put no effort into their looks EXCEPT for their fingernails and i dont get it??? no offence, some of these women are wrinkly, old, haggard faced, obese, badly dressed BUT they somehow have immaculately groomed professionally manicured perfect acylic fingernails???!!! why not put that effort into having a nice face or body or clothes rather than such an insignificant part of teh body! but invariably if you check out any 50 year old business woman she will have fake/long nice nails even if she is otherwise frumpy and haggard. or the typical chavver. she will have awful trashy clothes, vicky pollard hair and be obese BUT will similarly have fake nails.

im not saying its wrong to be old/fat/badly dressed, but i just dont see why those same girls put so much effort into nails! they are so insignificant, who would notice?

GIRLS - why do you put so much effort into your nails?? this Q is not addressed to gals who spend loads of effort on their appearance in general (ie fashion clothes, fancy haircuts, highlights, makeup and/or false lashes), it is at gals who wear little or no other makeup but somehow always MUST HAVE acylic fancy fingernails. why?

GUYS - do you actually even notice a gals nails? surely the order to checking out a cutie is face, hair, boobs, butt, body, THEN hands???

ALSO - my nails are bitten short, with chipped pink varnish so it doesnt show the chips. i was thinking to get some short fake overlay so i dont need to paint them as often. what advice do you have, and also i cant go in nail salons as im afraid of the WAGS.

Scroll to see replies

What does wearing make up have to do with anything? I don't wear any make up to work at all because I don't see the point, and I would rather have the extra time in bed. But I do make sure my hair is done and my eyebrows are perfect so that I look smart. I do my own nails as they grow really quickly and are very strong, but I only file and paint them about once every 2-3 weeks as my varnish dosn't really chip. I hate seeing raggy, bitten down nails with chipped nail varnish, it just looks so grubby.
You can get a coloured gel or acrylic over lay from a nail salon but you would still need to get an infill every two weeks as it grows, you are better off painting them yourself if you don't care how they look.
Reply 2
Original post by RainbowDoll
What does wearing make up have to do with anything? I don't wear any make up to work at all because I don't see the point, and I would rather have the extra time in bed. But I do make sure my hair is done and my eyebrows are perfect so that I look smart. I do my own nails as they grow really quickly and are very strong, but I only file and paint them about once every 2-3 weeks as my varnish dosn't really chip. I hate seeing raggy, bitten down nails with chipped nail varnish, it just looks so grubby.
You can get a coloured gel or acrylic over lay from a nail salon but you would still need to get an infill every two weeks as it grows, you are better off painting them yourself if you don't care how they look.

the point i was trying to make (albeit not very well) was that there are SO MANY gals of all ages who put NO effort into any part of their appearance other than...their nails!!!

i just dont get it! almost no one sees your hands in detail, but everyone sees your face and body so why do they make a fuss of the nails and not something more significant?
I have no idea!
Reply 4
Nice nails are in the same category as doing your eyebrows, washing your hair and wearing deodorant to me - makes you look clean and smart :tongue: Although to be fair I mean having them neat and clean, not big acrylic nails, I don't think they look very nice. I'm not even allowed nail varnish because of my work anyway...
If you're getting older and a bit overweight though, your nails don't get bigger or wrinkle, so maybe it's the last bit of you that can still look at your very best?
Original post by shinytoy
the point i was trying to make (albeit not very well) was that there are SO MANY gals of all ages who put NO effort into any part of their appearance other than...their nails!!!

i just dont get it! almost no one sees your hands in detail, but everyone sees your face and body so why do they make a fuss of the nails and not something more significant?

Some people just like to focus on different parts of their appearance then others.
Like I said I don't wear make up for work (I wear a little bit at the weekend) but I don't wear foundation/powder at all because I prefer to have clear skin. Some girls would never leave the house without a full face of make up even though their skin is terrible and the make up only makes it worse.
I don't like the really long acrylic look but I think the bitten down raggy look is just as bad, just opposites.
People do pay attention to your hands. Especially if you go for job interviews they will pay attention to little details like that. I used to work for a catering firm and the first thing they looked at was your nails, if they were grubby looking you wouldn't get the job.
Some people just like to put more effort into different things, for example like I said some girls are thick of make up with terrible skin, or they curl their hair but have terrible roots :rolleyes: everyone is different.
Reply 6

GUYS - do you actually even notice a gals nails?

No, not all unless they look ridiculous.
Reply 7
I don't spend much time on my nails but they are the nicest part of me.. Mainly because I haven't bitten them for years and I took good care of them, NOT for appearances sake actually. But because they're so strong now that they don't break off etc which was really painful.
If I do put varnish on them (which is most of the time with a base and top coat to protect them) people think I'm wearing false nails because they are quite long, but they're real.

As for the rest of me, I don't give a **** about it really. Just that practically, taking care of my nails make sense :dontknow:
as per title....

i see ALOT of girls aged 16 - 50+ who put no effort into their looks EXCEPT for their fingernails and i dont get it??? no offence, some of these women are wrinkly, old, haggard faced, obese, badly dressed BUT they somehow have immaculately groomed professionally manicured perfect acylic fingernails???!!!

You lost me at that point at first. :wink:

Until very recently I've been a nail biter (on and off since I was a kid-stress & boredom set me off) and keeping my nails painted and groomed prevents me damaging them and makes me feel more attractive in a weird way. I also compulsively bite the skin around my fingers & nails to such a degree which is actually quite revolting but painting my nails is a therapeutic thing. I still have quite a way to go to get my hands attractive but meh. I have to get my nails done professionally soon because the hangnails/cuticle damage is so bad it grows back jagged and it starts my biting off again. If you saw my hands now you'd see my finger tips are red to my first knuckle from scar tissue so painting my nails and keeping them good is actually a medical advantage for me.

I used to have acrylics but they damaged my nails more, but loads of girls think they help your nails grow and stop you biting-which didn't help for me. :mmm: Getting your nails done & all that acrylic jazz is the fashion for young women these days and it is cheap enough for even the lazy/workshy to indulge in. The rest of their attire I imagine is deemed attractive to their own standards but I'm not going to go into that!

On another note as we age the one thing that hardly changes appearance is our nails and also being well groomed is more habit than anything. I imagine if you painted your nails every Sunday like I now do (for the last month yay!) it'll be second nature and you wouldn't even need to think about it. Besides a facelift is waaay more expensive and invasive than simply using a nail file and applying a slick of nail paint!
Reply 9
GIRLS - why do you put so much effort into your nails?? this Q is not addressed to gals who spend loads of effort on their appearance in general (ie fashion clothes, fancy haircuts, highlights, makeup and/or false lashes), it is at gals who wear little or no other makeup but somehow always MUST HAVE acylic fancy fingernails. why?

The answer is turd polishing
Because they have been socialized to think it is of great importance to their beauty and well being?
Reply 11
Because nail business's are notorious for being marketing geniuses.
Reply 12
I do my nails when I'm bored and have nothing better to do, the rest of me is made up in a rush in the morning. I probably spend the least time on my nails actually, as they only need doing once a week or so not everyday so they're a lot easier to maintain. I can't always be bothered to straighten my hair or put makeup on every morning.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
nails last for like a week, you hvae to redo makeup every few hours....... so nails always look better!
Reply 14
It's just a bit of fun, really. Painted nails make you feel a little bit girly and they're such a tiny part of you that you can play with lots of different colours without any real difference to your overall appearance.

Also, my boyfriend notices when I paint my nails. One of the first things he complimented me on was the fact that I never have chipped nail polish haha. ^_^
Reply 15
Cos it's fun and i like the smell of nail varnish!
Reply 16
I really have no idea
Cause they can go to a nail bar and get it done easily? Or maybe they like doing whatever they want without worrying about what people like you think of them? xx

EDIT - someone being fat or wrinkled isn't really here or there on this topic - when you get old, you get wrinkles. You're saying old people can't paint their nails? wtf?
They make me feel sick.

It creeps me out when you're on the bus then next to you placed on the chair in front are these huge, disgusting, brightly painted monstrosities. It makes me gag. I wish people wouldn't do it, puts me right off them.
I can spend hours on mine because I find it so relaxing! :smile:

I'm not talking about acrylics - I stay away from fake nails! I'm talking about nail polish :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest