The Student Room Group

Are straight women too severe on men?

And like the opposite on other women? Literally every woman tells every other women that they're "gorgeous" or "so beautiful". Now I am not the one to judge but clearly, they can't all be gorgeous, the word loses its value at some point.

But my issue is this: when it comes to men, women will compliment only the 0.1%, the model-like Henry Cavills. Everyone else they will ignore. Why the disparity?
Considering that most average and even below average men have partners or wives it’s clearly not true that women ignore you unless you’re Henry Cavill.
Reply 2
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Considering that most average and even below average men have partners or wives it’s clearly not true that women ignore you unless you’re Henry Cavill.

When it comes to complimenting physical appearance? all guys I know tell me if they get one compliment, it says with them forever because it's so rare to get one. Women are showered with compliments not just from guys but from other women as well. Or maybe especially by other women.
Straight women complimenting other women is understood as platonic.
Straight women complimenting men is often (mis)interpreted as romantic interest.

It's more to do with how a compliment would be interpreted, rather than women having nothing positive to say about the average bloke.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous
And like the opposite on other women? Literally every woman tells every other women that they're "gorgeous" or "so beautiful". Now I am not the one to judge but clearly, they can't all be gorgeous, the word loses its value at some point.

But my issue is this: when it comes to men, women will compliment only the 0.1%, the model-like Henry Cavills. Everyone else they will ignore. Why the disparity?

Rubbish! Maybe you've got nothing going for you, but girls compliment guys all the time... they're just not going to do it for the sake of it.

Remember, looks are (traditionally) more important to women than guys... so women compliment guys in different ways (e.g. "You're really good at that" or "OMG, you're SOOO funny" etc.). The other thing is that if you don't make an effort with your appearance, then why should they give you compliments for the sake of giving them? If you make a conscious effort with your appearance, then the right people are going to notice.

The other thing is that looking good is traditionally a feminine trait. Unless you're a Metrosexual gym rat, it's very rare for guys to compliment each other looks wise. In general for regular guys, it's a taboo for guys to talk about how good looking a guy is; at best, they may say that a guy isn't bad looking in attempt to 'big-up' someone's ego / profile. If a guy on a lads night out went on about how good looking another guy is, chances are he'd get a few funny looks from his mates.

Spoiler

Reply 5
If you look at who gets the compliments on things like facebook and insta, it is girls complimenting other girls and guys who are usually at best average looking. If a girl or a guy is really gorgeous or good looking they almost never get complimented, other girls nearly always hate other really attractive girls, and they never compliment really good looking guys either but let's not get into that.
Reply 6
As some people already said, women complimenting guys can be misinterpreted as being romantically/sexually interested in a guy, whereas when women compliment other women they're just being friendly. That's why most women will not compliment men if they have boyfriends. I have seen many times when girls say things to girls like 'omg your nails look so good' or 'omg you're so bubbly'. Girls would never say these things to men, that's just not how that works.

In addition, there are not that many good looking guys. Most women actually rate most guys as below average especially if you don't have a nice jawline, a decent haircut, toned muscles or sharp blue eyes. Very few men meet that criteria, so they won't be classed as handsome. Probably only 10% of men fall into this category, if not less. You have to be genetically gifted to be that guy. So that's another reason why so very few men receive compliments by women.
Reply 7
Original post by Sorcerer of Old

Henry Cavill is a god. He does his movies, but basically just wants to be left alone to play video games at home.
Reply 8
Original post by Trinculo
Henry Cavill is a god. He does his movies, but basically just wants to be left alone to play video games at home.

What does this have to do with anything lol
Reply 9

I don't think women are as complimentary behind other females’ backs. To me, i think guys are largely consistent and will be the same in front and behind another guy. However, a woman can sing another woman’s praise in front of her then b***** about her behind her back.

For other men, I think it seems to be cool nowadays to insult or belittle men.
Reply 10
Women tell me my hair is amazing literally every weekend. I am never ever convinced by notions like this.
Reply 11

They are being polite. If they made a negative remark about another woman's appearance, people would say they were jealous of her.
Original post by Trinculo

A god living a godly life, what's new?
If you look at who gets the compliments on things like facebook and insta, it is girls complimenting other girls and guys who are usually at best average looking. If a girl or a guy is really gorgeous or good looking they almost never get complimented, other girls nearly always hate other really attractive girls, and they never compliment really good looking guys either but let's not get into that.

This is all just unsubstantiated and impressionistic. For one thing, who decides what 'stunning' is - for women, is it the artificial, make up/filler/filtered fake images (which the women never even look like in real life)? For men, is it someone jacked up on steroids at the gym? Any cursory glance at Instagram will tell you that people with the currently popular 'Instagram' look, fake or not, gets a TONNE of compliments and likes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending