The Student Room Group

Can I get into a Russell group university with these GCSE grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sc0307
I got into UCL with 7 B's, 3 C's and an E.....

Really? What did you get for A levels and what's your degree in at UCL?
Reply 21
Original post by ifstatement

Original post by ifstatement
Really? What did you get for A levels and what's your degree in at UCL?

I got AABa and I'm doing Pharmacology.
Original post by Candyflossclouds
Please help! I'm 16 and have just got my GCSE results and though they aren't bad they aren't as good as I was hoping for. I have had very clear ideas as to what I want as a career for years now and I know I want to study Psychology at a Russell group/1994 group university, but you hear so many horror stories these days about people not getting in, even with relatively good grades. I'm scared that my grades at GCSE won't be good enough.

I got 2 A*s, 8 As and a B.
As I'm disappointed I didn't get more A*s I have vowed to work harder than ever before at AS level to try and get all As and redeem myself, but I'm still worried. How much do GCSEs count for?

Thank you.
xx

Do ... not... know... if... troll...

I got A*AAAABBBBCC, and got offers from 4 russell group/1994 universities. Stop asking stupid questions.
Reply 23
you hear so many horror stories these days about people not getting in, even with relatively good grades. I'm scared that my grades at GCSE won't be good enough.

Yes your GCSE's are fine. GCSE's are only looked at by top unis who are pretty anal about them. As long as you get good A level results you will be fine. Besides A level is an opportunity to redeem yourself if you personally think you could of done better.

What horror stories have you heard?:colone:
Please help! I'm 16 and have just got my GCSE results and though they aren't bad they aren't as good as I was hoping for. I have had very clear ideas as to what I want as a career for years now and I know I want to study Psychology at a Russell group/1994 group university, but you hear so many horror stories these days about people not getting in, even with relatively good grades. I'm scared that my grades at GCSE won't be good enough.

As I'm disappointed I didn't get more A*s I have vowed to work harder than ever before at AS level to try and get all As and redeem myself, but I'm still worried. How much do GCSEs count for?

Thank you.
xx

Your GCSE's are way better than what I got a few years ago but I got offers from 5 "Russell group" universities based on A-Level grades, so stop worrying.
I got into a russell group and i got 2 Bs 8 Cs and 2 Ds. Its mostly about your A levels.

Thank you.
xx

For most courses at most RG universities those results will not be a disadvantage. More important are your AS and A2 results.
Original post by tommydeaks
Do ... not... know... if... troll...

I got A*AAAABBBBCC, and got offers from 4 russell group/1994 universities. Stop asking stupid questions.

Psychology is very competitive though. They are good GCSEs, however work your ass off to get three As if you want to get in for psychology... i know a lot of people who missed offers/did not get offers.
Heya,
I got 3A* and 7As so only slightly better and I still got into all the Russell group universities I applied to and am going to start UCL in September. You have good GCSEs and I think universities would focus on A Levels, personal statement and your passion for the subject, if you are interviewed. Don't worry and good luck.
Reply 29
Original post by candyflossclouds
please help! I'm 16 and have just got my gcse results and though they aren't bad they aren't as good as i was hoping for. I have had very clear ideas as to what i want as a career for years now and i know i want to study psychology at a russell group/1994 group university, but you hear so many horror stories these days about people not getting in, even with relatively good grades. I'm scared that my grades at gcse won't be good enough.

i got 2 a*s, 8 as and a b.
as i'm disappointed i didn't get more a*s i have vowed to work harder than ever before at as level to try and get all as and redeem myself, but i'm still worried. How much do gcses count for?

Thank you.
Xx

of course you can!

God!

Rarghh!
I got into Lancaster (not Russell Group but ranked #8 in the country by Guardian) with 4As, 3Bs and 3Cs at GCSE.
Reply 31
Original post by Alison1992
i'm going to do psychology at Warwick on A*A*A*A*AAABBB
your GCSE's are better than mine
i wouldn't worry, as long as you do well at AS you'll be fine, uni's generally only care about maths, english and sometimes science grades

Exactly the same grades as I just got. Crazy :O
Original post by Mojojojo
Exactly the same grades as I just got. Crazy :O

yayy i think there's another one of us on here too :wink:
love your name by the way
Reply 33
GCSEs are a funny milestone, I don't believe in them at all. By the end of your first year of A-Level, you might find that some of your cocky, geeky, peers who got 10 A*s in their GCSEs are not as smart as they think they are. At the same time, you find the people who did nothing for the first 10 years of their schooling actually got smarts :eek:.

Those are good grades. My message to you is - don't get complacent. This next year will be much more important for you. That said don't have a meltdown, you can always re-sit and etcetera as I did...
Reply 34

Thank you.
xx

I got less than that and I got into a russell group uni. Not as hard as you think, you can get onto some courses on BBC or BCC etc, depends what course you're going for though? Do u wana do like medicine?
Reply 35
Original post by Alison1992
yayy i think there's another one of us on here too :wink:
love your name by the way

Haha, thanks. :biggrin:

What subjects? I got:
A* in Chemistry, Physics, French, English Lit.
As in Maths, Biology and English Lang.
Bs in History, RE and PE (short course)
I also got a Distinction in ICT but some places don't even count it, and some say its worth 3 As :/ it's some sort of diploma or something. I got a D in my final history which rounded it down to a B after 3 As :frown:, and was only 3 UMS marks off in Biology (for A*) and 3 in RE (for A). :frown:
Sorry, you probably don't care :L

Mind me asking what you did for A level, and grades? :smile:
Reply 36
Hey guys, I've got a similar query

A*A*AAABBBBCC at GCSE
AAAAC (All A's in 80-85% bracket) at AS level. (Doing 3 A2's and an EPQ when we go back in September)

Planning to apply for Top 10/Top 5. I reckon I've got the Passion for them (applying for Philosophy), reckon I've got the grades?
I've a sneaky feeling I'm just a little too short for them. Ah well. No use B**chin'.

Thanks in advance
(edited 12 years ago)
Seems like somebody wants to show off their GCSE results.

GCSEs mean nothing unless you're doing medicine. I got 1 A, 4 Bs, 4 Cs and an E at GCSE and I'm going to Manchester Uni. Work hard at college and you'll get in anywhere you want, especially for psychology (no offence psychology students <3).
Reply 38
Original post by nerimon18
Forget about the term "Russell Group" university. Its just a list of universitites selected by newspapers with their opinion of what the best unis are. You can find a lot of good unis for Psycology, whether they are in the Russell Group or not. :smile:

It's got nothing to do with newspapers, though journalists do like to portray the RG as a UK Ivy League and, in doing so, often confuse themselves with its membership.

The Russell Group is a lobbying group for large, research intensive universities.

It is not selected by newspapers. All universities are voluntary members of the Group.

The OP said, in her post, Russell/1994 Group. These universities are amongst our leading universities. Although you are correct that there are good universities for psychology who aren't in either group, Bangor for example.
Easily. I got those GCSE's exactly and proceeded to get offers from 5 RG unis, ended up graduating with a masters in physics from a russell grouper. A mate of mine got worse than us both, he ended up studying Maths at Oxford.

GCSE's don't matter, but don't be disappointed with those!

P.S. don't rest on your laurels either.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending