The Student Room Group

Chemistry A2 and AS in one year?

Hi there, I was just wondering whether those who have done Chemistry deem it possible to complete the AS and A2 Chemistry course within one year if you enter yourself as a private candidate and space out your exams between January and June?
Reply 1
If that was all you were doig with your year, then possibly, but I found that with chemistry it's not so much that it's a lot of work (although it is) but some of the concepts are quite difficult and take time to sink in and fully understand. I think I could have done it in a year if I wasn't trying to learn anything else at the same time, but alongside other A levels... not sure. Also, I don't know what you're planning, but I doubt I would have been able to self-teach it... but that might just be how I learn, I'm sure some people have managed it :smile: x
If you're doing just chemistry in that year then yeah, it's perfectly possible :smile:
You need to give us more background info about yourself.

Are you a student repeating his A Levels ? What were your IGCSE grades ?

What exam board will you be under ?

Overall AS Chemistry is quite simple but the topics in A2 can take time to sink in.
Original post by GunnerR
Hi there, I was just wondering whether those who have done Chemistry deem it possible to complete the AS and A2 Chemistry course within one year if you enter yourself as a private candidate and space out your exams between January and June?

Once you get the concepts, Chemistry is relatively straight forward, but I would recommend that you'd do the AS exams in Jan and the A2 exams in June, solely because the modules are arranged (normally) in such a way that each leads on from the previous one so you kind of need to do it in order.
Reply 5
Its certainly possible but its gonna be hard. It will also depend if you're only doing chemistry or any other subjects you're doing along with it
Reply 6
Thanks for all the responses, I'm JUST doing Chemistry. Also, if I'm not attending any institute, where can I do the ISA part of the exam i.e. the practical part?
Reply 7
Can you do it in any private institute?
Reply 8
ask a exam centre close to you if they will let you sit the practical
Original post by GunnerR
Can you do it in any private institute?

This is the most difficult part of being a private candidate.

My advice would either be to try to find a course to attend - though it can cost a fair bit and they might not let you take both years at the same time - or, see if you can speak to a local college. A lot probably won't be able to offer you the practical work as someone has to moderate you. But there is always chance.

Where are you planning on taking the exam?
im doing it in a year.

i'd say its good to actually attend a course because then you have a teacher and other classmates for advice and guidance - its really hard to do, so guidance is really helpful
Reply 11
I'm planning to take the AS exams in January at Palmers College then the A2 exams in June. And Bright.Inspiration. where are you planning on doing the practical exams? Have you enrolled at a college for the year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending