The Student Room Group

Is freedom of speech overrated?

People treat this concept like some sort of deity - unyielding, inflexible and absolute. Defend it no matter the consequences or how it is used.

Should freedom of speech be placed on a pedestal? Britain already has so many limits of freedom of speech, so why not go further?

I mean, if someone is going to engage in language or actions which anger or upset the majority of the population - why allow them to air it?

I am somewhat playing devil's advocate here, I do see the positives of universal freedom of speech; however, it does seem that people defend it for the sake of it sometimes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It used to be controversial to suggest black people were the same as white people or women should be allowed to vote, should these views have been repressed just because it upsets the majority?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
It's certainly over used.
There should be no limitations on free speech except when the speech places one or more persons in direct and immediate danger.
Reply 4
Original post by Chav Princess
Britain already has so many limits of freedom of speech

Seen you say this a few times, and things relating to it.

So please indulge me with these fantasies of yours. Explain to me the many limits we have.

Now, remember to not mention limits that are there because this 'value' conflicts with over values or rights. As these are clear acceptable limits.

Thanks.
"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire
I couldn't agree more.
If we don't allow people to say what they want it forces it underground, if we allow people to say what they think society can highlight the stupidity of what they are saying (BNP on QT for example).
(edited 12 years ago)
Freedom of speech is important, but not nearly as important as freedom of thought.
Reply 7
Original post by Chav Princess

I mean, if someone is going to engage in language or actions which anger or upset the majority of the population - why allow them to air it?

So who decides who's allowed to speak their mind or not?
Original post by crocker710
"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire
I couldn't agree with it more.

I love this quote, and it really depresses me that so many people in this supposedly "free" society do not agree with its message.
What freedom of speech??? I didn't know we had any what with all the b.s. of PC coming about within the last few years
Reply 10
Original post by scorpion95
What freedom of speech??? I didn't know we had any what with all the b.s. of PC coming about within the last few years

So.. give me some examples :smile:

Too many people are all' zomfg no we has no freedom of speech in dis country!' when they actually have no idea about what it really means.
Reply 11
Freedom of speech is all very well but the sign of real intelligence is knowing when to use it
Reply 12
Christians were offended by Galileo's theory of the solar system.

White people were offended when people said that Black people were equal to them.

You cannot eliminate all bad ideas without destroying all good ideas in the process.
You can't really hurt anyone with speech, if you are going to be offended then don't listen. If someone says something that upsets me I dont want to ban them from saying it, I am happy that I have learnt they are a prick.
England = No freedom of speech like we think ( ill get to that)
America= Freedom of speech.

Ok, we all know about Fred the Shred right? He did some bad stuff which cost us money as tax payers, he buys a protection type which stops the public from knowing.

Footballer cheats, had the protection from the public to know but someone found out and told the public.

(Im not going to be all educating because i cant remember the name of that protection act)

America has no such thing to protect someones going ons from the public like we do.

E.G

Lets say, an Actor met a girl had fun with her (sex) and done drugs and then got caught for having sex with a minor from a 20+ night club (yes it does happen) and possession of drugs. The actor does not want his career to be at risk and he does not wan the public to know, if he is from England he can buy this protection right which costs too much money for the normal person (us.)

Once its paid for and signed, we won't know or allowed to know.

If this happened in America, it will be all over the news because the nation is on Free Of Speech. (Also this is why alot of crap seems to happen in america with hollywood stars and athletes) everything that has happened will be told to the public.

BUT, we do have a form of free to speak, we can speak our mind, have debates and give an opinion as long it does not breach a law act.

(This is what the "government" does <or should> and LBC talks are for)

If you know that thing im on about, tell us because i forgotten the name.
Original post by Tommyjw

Original post by Tommyjw
So.. give me some examples :smile:

Too many people are all' zomfg no we has no freedom of speech in dis country!' when they actually have no idea about what it really means.

It has different meanings to different people as I see it, it means not being limited in terms of being told what I can and can't say by someone else
Reply 16
Original post by etramsey1990
England = No freedom of speech like we think ( ill get to that)
America= Freedom of speech.

That is the most ridiculous wallof text i have read for a long time on this site.

It has different meanings to different people as I see it, it means not being limited in terms of being told what I can and can't say by someone else

Like what?

Again, making sure it does not impede on someone elses rights :smile:
Original post by Tommyjw

Original post by Tommyjw
That is the most ridiculous wallof text i have read for a long time on this site.

Like what?

Again, making sure it does not impede on someone elses rights :smile:

Human rights = b.s.
Reply 18
Human rights = b.s.

Well i guess you are going to carry on spamming rather than answer a simple question, good for you.
Original post by Tommyjw

Original post by Tommyjw
Well i guess you are going to carry on spamming rather than answer a simple question, good for you.

What question?? Human rights is a load of b.s. i.e. people in prison shouldn't have any rights etc etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending