The Student Room Group

Drop out or not!?

Please help me!
Im into the first few weeks of a Photography degree and before i started i was unsure as to whether i would enjoy it or not. Now im here i have no passion for the subject, i like the lectures once a week on the history of photography, but not anything else. I physically dont want to go out and take pictures, im not inspired!

Now i do know for sure i want to be a primary school teacher and i thought it would be ok to just do a PGCE at the end of it but i dont see how i can do a degree for 3 years and not enjoy it. Should i stay here and stick it out- i do like the social side of univeristy just not the course (which is what im here for!) or withdraw, move back home, get some weekly teaching experience, save up money from a job, go travelling a bit in the summer (something im desperate to do) and then apply for a local teaching foundation course next year (i have enough points for a non foundation course but not in the right areas A* in photography, DD in Environmental studies and English lit)

Whats stopping me is not the fees but the uni 'experience' as i do like it here! And teaching is a four year course and i'd be starting later than everyone else and they would have finished their degree and id only be half way through! Also i suppose the guilt i'd feel towards my family, they've spent a lot of money for me to be here.

Please help me, the withdrawl date is friday 14th! And i cant transfer to teaching here as theres no space and i dont have all of the qualifications and experience they ask for.
Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am in precisely the same situation.. I love the uni 'experience' and have made a lot of great friends here, however I realise that the real reason you go to Uni is for a degree.. and from what I have heard it gets significantly harder in the 2nd year and even more so for the 3rd. I feel if I'm having to knuckle down and work hard at something I'm not passionate about I will just be forced out of Uni in the 2nd or 3rd year. I think it's sort of a good thing.. finding out this early that University isn't for you.. because you gain nothing more if you were to drop out next year or the year after.. you merely waste time - And as to feeling guilty towards your family - It would be worse for you to stay on and drop out in a year or so, costing even more :wink: Despite how much I am enjoying life outside lectures etc, I can't justify spending the amount of money it costs just to have a good time with some new mates ^^ And you shouldn't feel guilty! How were you to know that Uni wasn't for you?! It's a life experience, and I'm sure you're family will understand if you let them know why Uni isnt for you and what youre planning on doing after :smile:

I personally was planning on holding out until the end of the month before breaking the news (as it becomes quite a daunting task the more you think about it, at least it has for me :P Yet now I believe that if I explain why I want to leave University and what I plan to do, I'm sure my family will understand ^^) however, I am finding it progressively more difficult to put the effort into something which firstly I don't enjoy, and secondly I know I will be giving up in a few weeks time.

In my opinion, if as you say the withdrawal date is Friday 14th, I would let it go ^^ Take it as a life lesson, you can't pay that kind of money for a good time, no matter where you are or what you're doing you'll always meet new people and have a good time with them :wink: And of course, you've already made some friends that you can keep in touch with. Let you're family know as soon as possible and get it all sorted out, I guarantee it will feel like a weight off your shoulders ^^
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Ahh thank you! Everything you just said is in my head. It's just hard to accept it yourself, face reality and get on with it! It's so scary! But thank you, you've made it that much easier for me
Reply 3
Hi guys, I dropped out yesterday because I wasn't enjoying my course at all. I am gutted that it didn't work out for me - and that if I want to re-apply next year somewhere different that the fees will have tripled! but at the same time, it is such a relief to be home and know that I don't have to spend 3 years doing it!
I really don't know what I'm going to do for the rest of this year though - which is a very scary thought :frown:, but hopefully will get into where I want for next year and then have a great uni experience!
Good Luck! xxx
PS my parents were incredibly understanding because they could tell I had thought about it and it wasn't just a decision made after a bad day - if that makes sense!?
Reply 4
'ECousins1' Thank you to you too, and well done for taking the plunge!
It is a scary thought for the year ahead- as theres nothing to do. And yeah the thinking about it and not just after a bad day does make sense, iv been thinking about it before i even got here and the whole entire time- i guess you just have to follow your instincts as cliche as it sounds! Thank you!
Original post by sadie1
'ECousins1' Thank you to you too, and well done for taking the plunge!
It is a scary thought for the year ahead- as theres nothing to do. And yeah the thinking about it and not just after a bad day does make sense, iv been thinking about it before i even got here and the whole entire time- i guess you just have to follow your instincts as cliche as it sounds! Thank you!

probs not going to help, but just remember you can go travelling during your uni summer! Ive just got back from malaysia thaialnd and singapore and went to morocco at xmas and south africa last year. It is possible to have a life outside the cuorse. I really dont like my degree and im in third year now. So close! Also, it WILL be easier to get onto a teaching program if you have a degree first

good luck with your choice!
Reply 6
Original post by ellie_flower
Also, it WILL be easier to get onto a teaching program if you have a degree first

Do you mean a degree in a general subject? e.g for me it would be photography then a PGCE in primary education.
As if i do drop out i will re-apply next year for a early childhood studies degree.
My tutor has said its better to have a normal degree first rather than a whole teaching one...but its photography!
A little confused, sorry!
Original post by sadie1
Do you mean a degree in a general subject? e.g for me it would be photography then a PGCE in primary education.
As if i do drop out i will re-apply next year for a early childhood studies degree.
My tutor has said its better to have a normal degree first rather than a whole teaching one...but its photography!
A little confused, sorry!

a degree is a degree. Photography is a degree as much as english :smile: This is what my friends who have just graduated and have gone in to the teach first program.
Reply 8
Im in a similar situation Op i dont like my course. However my uni are helping me do everything they can to change it. However I want to do English which all the places are filled this year. However...I cant just drop out because then my student grant will get taken away. Plus, to be frank I dunno what id do all the days would be so boring. So I plan to just stay in uni, ride out this year with my grant and maintenance loan and then start fresh next year when I will get into English.

Thankfully in NI there is no fee rise as well.
Reply 9
Original post by Dbx125
However...I cant just drop out because then my student grant will get taken away.

You'll get another one next year? Theres no point staying for a year just because you have the money...you'll get nothing from it e.g. no qualification if you just stay there for a year, infact you'll get into more debt.
And awhh lucky that you dont get a fee rise!
Hey guys, I've realised after getting to University that the course I have applied for is the wrong one for me, and I simply have no passion and I am getting no enjoyment from it. But I'm feeling very guilty about the money I have already spent, on books, gym membership and all the rest as well as accomodation and tuition fees.

I was also wondering, as I have paid for my campus accomodation until the end of this semester, they won't force me to leave my accomodation until then will they?
Reply 11
Original post by sadie1

Original post by sadie1
Please help me!... ...

Why would you take a photography degree when you have no passion for the subject? Thats like taking Art when you hate sketching. Especially due to having to spent £?,??? on equipment as well

You crazy...
Reply 12
Original post by mattwilson99

I was also wondering, as I have paid for my campus accomodation until the end of this semester, they won't force me to leave my accomodation until then will they?
Hmmm not sure, for me if i decide to withdraw i have to pay 8 weeks accomodation but then i wouldnt want to stay there anyway. Would you, if you have nothing to do? Also i think its better to drop out now rather than later even if you have spent alot of money...as you'll spend even more.
Reply 13
Original post by DanBrwn
Why would you take a photography degree when you have no passion for the subject? Thats like taking Art when you hate sketching. Especially due to having to spent £?,??? on equipment as well

You crazy...

I had passion for photography when i applied for the course, when i had my interview etc and now i dont anymore...i supppose its turning a hobby into a career, some people start to resent it. And thats true about the money, but i've only bought new books which i can sell if i do decide to withdraw.
Original post by sadie1
Hmmm not sure, for me if i decide to withdraw i have to pay 8 weeks accomodation but then i wouldnt want to stay there anyway. Would you, if you have nothing to do? Also i think its better to drop out now rather than later even if you have spent alot of money...as you'll spend even more.

Yeah I agree on the second point, I have a meeting with my tutor later today, so I'll be able to understand things better from that. Reading week begins in around 10 days, so if the opportunity is there to remain until then I will do. Also I've already paid for my accomodation leading up to the start of semester 2, so I presume that means I can't get any of that money back.
Reply 15
Also I've already paid for my accomodation leading up to the start of semester 2, so I presume that means I can't get any of that money back.

Hmm, you could try and ask? Go into the accomadation office or whatever you have and tell them your circumstance and ask them what would happen. Iv paid more than 8 weeks but they told me i can get that back.
Reply 16
Original post by DanBrwn

You crazy...

You have a lot of growing up today really. Sometimes in life, we think it's something that we want to do, but it turns out it's not. How on earth would the person know this before hand? Life changes you. It's not a simple as just planning it really.
Original post by sadie1
Hmm, you could try and ask? Go into the accomadation office or whatever you have and tell them your circumstance and ask them what would happen. Iv paid more than 8 weeks but they told me i can get that back.

Thanks for the help, I've just spoke to my tutor and they've said I will not have to pay any tuition fees, and will get some of my accomodation money back. However I will have to leave my campus accomodation ASAP.
Reply 18
Thanks for the help, I've just spoke to my tutor and they've said I will not have to pay any tuition fees, and will get some of my accomodation money back. However I will have to leave my campus accomodation ASAP.

Im glad you got it sorted! Your so brave! Im so nervous to withdraw or not, its such a hard decision to make and such a big one! It's too bad that you have to leave your accomodation asap though. Good luck!
Reply 19
Original post by ECousins1
Hi guys, I dropped out yesterday because I wasn't enjoying my course at all. I am gutted that it didn't work out for me - and that if I want to re-apply next year somewhere different that the fees will have tripled! but at the same time, it is such a relief to be home and know that I don't have to spend 3 years doing it!
I really don't know what I'm going to do for the rest of this year though - which is a very scary thought :frown:, but hopefully will get into where I want for next year and then have a great uni experience!
Good Luck! xxx
PS my parents were incredibly understanding because they could tell I had thought about it and it wasn't just a decision made after a bad day - if that makes sense!?

Today I told my mum I was leaving uni because I want to pursue music instead, which really is what I've wanted to do since as far back as I can remember, but I thought I could just brush it off. Anyway, the more I tried to forget about it, the more I just couldn't. Dreams are incredibly haunting especially when you're trying to cover them up for the sake of other people's feelings and expectations, which is what I've been doing for years. My mother obviously doesn't understand and I don't expect her to, she kept repeating to me how hard I've worked and how I was about to throw it all away...but my mind is made up. Everyone I've told (which is only a few people that need to know) says I should get my Engineering degree just as a safety net (I'm in second year)....something to fall back on, but they don't seem to understand how doing something with no heart seems to slowly eat up your soul. I certainly do not want to be one of those people who go to work everyday to a job they despise and are rude to everyone around them like it's anyone else's fault, which is really how 70% of the people in this world live. That alone I think, would eventually kill me......like it has some people.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending