The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

cardiff drop out rate

hello! im quite curious about why cardiff has the highest drop out rate from all the russell groups? i know this isn't a good way to judge a university but it's honestly making me a bit nervous to go and i was wondering if something was wrong
Reply 1
Cardiff within the education system in Wales don't have a very good reputation for pastoral care and mental health/wellbeing. Yes they'll say all the buzzwords but when they come down to it they can make things awkward when it comes to accessing support. I did not attend however both my siblings did and whilst my brother who was very academically inclined sailed through his first class undergrad, he dropped out of his MA due to lack of support in a period of bad mental health. My sister who is much more creative lasted 5 months before dropping out of first year and was very unhappy with the level of support and is of the view that if you're an A/A* student you do fine but if you had to work for your grades there wasn't a acceptable level of support. She moved to Swansea and is now in her third year of the same course and is getting excellent support and her grades have improved dramatically.
Obviously this is just my family but I know a lot of my brothers friends had trouble with things like extenuating circumstances and academic support when their mental or physical health was an issue.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ALKBM1
Cardiff within the education system in Wales don't have a very good reputation for pastoral care and mental health/wellbeing. Yes they'll say all the buzzwords but when they come down to it they can make things awkward when it comes to accessing support. I did not attend however both my siblings did and whilst my brother who was very academically inclined sailed through his first class undergrad, he dropped out of his MA due to lack of support in a period of bad mental health. My sister who is much more creative lasted 5 months before dropping out of first year and was very unhappy with the level of support and is of the view that if you're an A/A* student you do fine but if you had to work for your grades there wasn't a acceptable level of support. She moved to Swansea and is now in her third year of the same course and is getting excellent support and her grades have improved dramatically.
Obviously this is just my family but I know a lot of my brothers friends had trouble with things like extenuating circumstances and academic support when their mental or physical health was an issue.

thank you for the response, im sorry to hear about that :frown: was this quite recent? i wish i knew about it beforehand but i got into cardiff through clearing so it was very last minute
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
thank you for the response, im sorry to hear about that :frown: was this quite recent? i wish i knew about it beforehand but i got into cardiff through clearing so it was very last minute

Yes my brother dropped his Masters in January 2022 and my sister dropped out in 2020. Just make sure you know your rights and push them on it. If you EVER have a period of bad mental health where you can't cope get your doctors to write you an academic sick note for it and then the university have to support you/make allowances of at least the legally required level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending