The Student Room Group

Common Misconceptions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete
A couple of weeks ago my niece (who is six) said that her whole class had 'detention' (no playtime) because they thought it was funny to refer to Jesus as 'cheesy' repeatedly... She goes to a Catholic school so that didn't go over well.

Oh Lord! Luckily I kept my misconception to myself...
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
Oh Lord! Luckily I kept my misconception to myself...

I love when kids get 'detention', they act like not going out to play is just a step down from going to prison.
Reply 142
Original post by joey11223
oh my god..it's bullet proof? I thought it was pulling through too! Oh well..bothered.:rolleyes:...:tongue:

haha i know it sounds just like pulling through! I'd only ever heard it over the speakers so I didn't know the name of the song (bulletproof)
"Kiss chase" somehow= Kids chase. Ah sweet innocence :colondollar:
Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete
I love when kids get 'detention', they act like not going out to play is just a step down from going to prison.

Better is when mum or dad threaten to send them to their rooms, you'd swear they were threatening to have them adopted!
Reply 145
Original post by RollerBall
Based on this thread I held a massive misconception that the general public weren't that retarded.

Don't be boring and post your own misconceptions Mr 100%.
My brother used to (and still does) mess up words a lot. He thought a dressing gown was a "guessing gown", and when we were little and obsessed with Aladdin he used to think it was:

"George, george, arrest that man!" instead of "Guards, guards arrest that man!"
Original post by Fusion
Water plus some type of protein :s-smilie:

Protein? Brb licking it up to maximize my gym gains.
Reply 148
Thinking teachers training day was a day in which teachers exercise.
Didn't realise until I was like 12 what it meant
Reply 149
Original post by MyselfEtAl
For some reason I used to think the paper in the fax machine literally used to go through the wires to get to the other "number" :confused:
Oh, and until recently, I used to think Liverpool was in Scotland :s

hahahaaaaaaa me tooo!
When people say "none of them are," it should be "none of them is."

And you shouldn't say "One in ten are." It's "one in ten is."

EDIT: Ah, the illiterati :colonhash:

EDIT #2: It's true. It was even on Q.I. But by all means, continue to be retarded. :bhangra:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 151
Original post by + polarity -
I thought my first day of school was also my last.

Imagine my surprise the next morning. :nothing:

Looool. Idiot! :tongue:
Original post by EffKayy
hahahaaaaaaa me tooo!

Great minds think alike, eh? :tongue:
Reply 153
Original post by LeaX
I was told nits were 'tiny animals that live in your hair', so I was imagining tiny, cute little giraffes, elephants, tigers, etc. That is until the school handed out a leaflet with a picture of one on there. I was traumatised.

That's so cute I wanna squish your face in.
I used to think (when I was very young) that everyone was born in English speaking countries and if they grew up unable to speak English they were deported =/
Because double-barrelled surnames were so rare, I thought people who had them were all foreign or rich...or both
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Vohamanah
I used to think (when I was very young) that everyone was born in English speaking countries and if they grew up unable to speak English they were deported =/

You're name isn't Nick Griffin, by an chance, is it? :wink: :biggrin:
Original post by PatrickD
You're name isn't Nick Griffin, by an chance, is it? :wink: :biggrin:

Rofl I'm a born xenophobe, evidently =)
Original post by Vohamanah
Rofl I'm a born xenophobe, evidently =)

Haha. Did you just think it automatically or did someone say something that made you think it? And when did you realise this wasn't the case? :biggrin:
Original post by PatrickD
Haha. Did you just think it automatically or did someone say something that made you think it? And when did you realise this wasn't the case? :biggrin:

I have no idea how I got that impression. I think I just naturally assumed that as I speak English, the whole world did as well, and when I found out there were people in other countries and they didn't speak English I thought that was the reason they were in other countries :s-smilie:

I realised pretty young, I learned French from a young age and I think I managed to put two and two together French was "normal" for French people, like English is "normal" for me.

Quick Reply

Latest