The Student Room Group

Summer Internship- Civil Service- Politics Student

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if there were any members on TSR who have applied for the Summer Internship Programme and if they had any advice in relation to the preparation needed to begin the process.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

:-)
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thank you! I will check that out. I'm doing BA Politics at Hull University :-)
Reply 2
Original post by Jusayin
Thank you! I will check that out. I'm doing BA Politics at Hull University :-)

Is that the course that the guy on the Panorama episode about unpaid internships did?
Reply 3
Yea it is but the info he gave was very misleading. Whilst we are doing our internship, we are going assesed work and having lectures so we pay normal tuition fees for our course not for the internship itself xxx
Reply 4
Original post by Jusayin
Yea it is but the info he gave was very misleading. Whilst we are doing our internship, we are going assesed work and having lectures so we pay normal tuition fees for our course not for the internship itself xxx

Hi, yeah I've applied for this :smile: How is your application going?
Reply 5
I'm going to put my application in next week- i'm still working on the verbal reasoning/ numerical testing-. I'm finding them v. trying atm. How did you find it? Have you got any advice?
Reply 6
Original post by Jusayin
I'm going to put my application in next week- i'm still working on the verbal reasoning/ numerical testing-. I'm finding them v. trying atm. How did you find it? Have you got any advice?

Hiya. I found them very difficult but there are lots of websites which offer practice so I'd advise you take full advantage of those.
Good luck.
Reply 7
Hi guys,

I was on this scheme last year....I have some hints and tips which I'd gladly share. Just ask!
Reply 8
Original post by sultaniacs
Hi guys,

I was on this scheme last year....I have some hints and tips which I'd gladly share. Just ask!

Such as? When did you hear back about an interview?
Reply 9
The whole process took around two months. It varies on how well you do on the tests, the higher you score the faster your application gets processed (hence, Fast Stream). I'm not too sure if thats the official stance, but it was something I was told internally from one of the recruiters.

However, I remember an intern who averaged 18% in the tests and made it through.
Reply 10
anyone heard back yet?
Reply 11
My friend heard back this week that she has an interview in March! I haven't heard anything though :frown:
Reply 12
I e-mailed a week ago and said I would hear if invited to an interview within 2-3 weeks. Which departments did everyone apply for? Good luck all round! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by fn_101
I e-mailed a week ago and said I would hear if invited to an interview within 2-3 weeks. Which departments did everyone apply for? Good luck all round! :smile:

I got turned down unfortunately. A bit gutted but hey that's life. I'd applied to education as my first choice. best of luck to you.
Reply 14
Original post by fn_101

I emailed on Monday and they said I would hear in the week but I haven't heard anything yet! I am assuming the worst, but wish they would get back to me soon.

I applied for Judicial, legal and constitutional as my first choice, Education second, Immigration third, etc...How about you?

Good luck!
I've just had a phone call from the MoD inviting me to interview... happy days :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 16
I got a call yesterday saying that by the end of next week I would hear back from whichever department I have been allocated to so that they can arrange an interview.:h:
I think it depends on what choices you put as to when you hear back from them.
Reply 17
Original post by sultaniacs
they tend to filter out the dummies"

Got a call from the MOJ to arrange an interview! Not so "dumb" after all. All the best of luck to everyone else! :-)
Reply 18
Does anyone have an actual interview date yet? I got a message saying I passed the application stage but no details of which department or interview dates... Hope everyone is doing well and congrats on interviews! :smile:
Original post by fn_101
Does anyone have an actual interview date yet? I got a message saying I passed the application stage but no details of which department or interview dates... Hope everyone is doing well and congrats on interviews! :smile:

I've had this too! I.e. a message saying I'm going to be interviewed, but nothing more yet. The suspense is killing me...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending