The Student Room Group

I am dead inside.

Another thread got me thinking about this, basically I feel little emotion for anyone else ever. I can say whatever comes into my head to anyone and do not feel guilty even if it was particularly nasty, and I certainly feel no need to apologize. If one of my friends breaks up with their boyfriend or something everyone else will be crowding round them to comfort them but I really couldn't give a toss. If anything I find it amusing. Same when someone falls down the stairs, for example, I will just laugh but everyone else will be concerned and caring etc. Why is this? Even with my 'closest' friends I feel no real attachment - I look around at school and people are always hugging and showing each other how much they care but y'know I really don't. Films do not make me cry, dead kittens do not make me cry, the only thing I can think of recently that had any impact was the possibility of being expelled from school (wasn't my fault, don't ask) and that only did something because I worried about universities and how difficult completing my a levels would be.

I don't even know why I'm posting this, I guess I want to feel some attachment to my friends or whatever because that might be kind of cool. So.....any advice which extends beyond 'kill yourself now for the good of civilized society'?

(hi, mod - I'm on anonymous because I have a school mate who posts on this board and y'know...)

Scroll to see replies

You just gotta let it all out! *boo hoo* *cry cry*

Heh. Do you actually not feel anything, or do you just not cry? Because there's nothing wrong with that, I haven't cried since I was 8. There's also nothing wrong with not being all *aww huggles* with people, a lot of that **** is false anyway.

The fact that you're saying you WANT to be more attached suggests to me that you're not actually completely emotionally void, as if you wereyou wouldn't care, you wouldn't have made this thread.
Reply 2
I think that you might have aspergers syndrome.
Reply 3
"Do you actually not feel anything, or do you just not cry?"

Not a thing - except maybe slight amusement at their misfortune.

I don't really have any real wanting to feel for them, but I look around and everyone else seems to be doing that so I figure it's not normal to feel nothing and no one wants to be un-normal if you get my drift?
Reply 4
I can't seem to attach or notice a sense of importance to anything or anyone...kinda how the OP feels? Meh I dunno.
Reply 5
Bit of a rash judgement perhaps?? (At Elipsis)

Some people just feel less emotion than others, there's not necessarily a right or wrong level you must feel.

Apologies for the useless reply, but I don't think there's much advice to be given.
Reply 6
i used to feel like that as if some one is hurt then everyone else is conforting them and im just standing there. im kinda friendless now so meh. i think that maybe it's cus you dont open up to people. its harder to connect. its just different types of personality i guess. but i might be wrong
Reply 7
Anonymous
I can't seem to attach or notice a sense of importance to anything or anyone...kinda how the OP feels? Meh I dunno.

ok, that's cool I guess - I'm not the only one.

Elipsis
I think that you might have aspergers syndrome.

I doubt it.
Reply 8
Yes... I'm in an odd position in that I do feel very deeply inside yet at the same time I am almost completely unable to actually express this. Hence people see me as a bit cold and callous at times.
Reply 9
good i find it annoying when people (and to be fair, i mean girls) scream and hug and cry for silly things...but people falling down stairs...thats a bit...cold =P
Its probbly because your ugly.
Reply 10
Hehe, maybe you're just a bitch? I am.

Do you ever feel compassion? If something serious happened - like someone's Dad dying, say, would you feel sorry for them? Or is it cold cynicism to the core?
Hm, Seems like you're emotionally dead due to your own emotional scars. Some people are born cold though, or maybe you're just self centered?
Reply 12
i bet its the ugly thing :biggrin: seems to be the root of all problems
Reply 13
Poica
Hehe, maybe you're just a bitch? I am.

Do you ever feel compassion? If something serious happened - like someone's Dad dying, say, would you feel sorry for them? Or is it cold cynicism to the core?

lol well yeah that could be one explanation I guess. But I don't really say things with the actual intention of being mean most of the time. things just get interpreted that way.

I've never been in that exact situation, but to be honest I don't think I would. I mean it would suck for them because he's their dad but I don't think that's like sincere compassion? I know it should suck because he's their dad but I doubt I would really sympathise.
Reply 14
Anonymous
lol well yeah that could be one explanation I guess. But I don't really say things with the actual intention of being mean most of the time. things just get interpreted that way.

I've never been in that exact situation, but to be honest I don't think I would. I mean it would suck for them because he's their dad but I don't think that's like sincere compassion? I know it should suck because he's their dad but I doubt I would really sympathise.

It'll do. Generally I have a "ha ha!" attitude to the misfortunes of others. Either they just don't mean enough to me as people, or they're silly problems.
Reply 15
For what it's worth I notice a lot of people truely deserving of compassion whom most ignore, so caught up are they in their little circles with their own minor problem.

Actually this sense of compassion can be quite annoying at times...
Reply 16
Oh my Lord! this sounds Just like me. My personality is paranoia, pessimism and other things related. I only think of myself and my direct family. I don't know why but I only care about things if it doesn't actually relate to ME. I'll give you a bad example; if some idiot comes by me with a charity box I'll make sure it's something like a Cancer foundation because that would help ME in the future god forbid. I wouldn't give a ***** if it was something like children in need. I'm proud of how I am and don't give a sh*t about what people think of this either. I'm sure there's something wrong with me but it's not unhealthy so I havn't bothered to see a shrink or anything.. yet. Another thing, emotional attachments like friends I don't care for so much, I think of it as a way of passing time. I can't explain it.
Reply 17
LORDDEATH
Stop acting like an insecure pussy and be grateful for the gift you got.

haha, I like that answer!

Poica: I don't do it to be mean or to be a 'bitch', but I just don't see why I should feel particularly sorry for people. Yes, society dictates that I feel sorry for someone when their dad dies, so I know I should but then I just don't.

I guess your replies have shown me it's not that weird so cheers for that - I just look around and see everyone else feels stuff so assumed it was weird.
Reply 18
maybe buy some compassionate pills...its not that society expects us..if someone's dad dies, then i would instinctively want to (morally) try and comfort that person (this applies to friends, although i would feel sorry for anyone, but it wouldnt be my place to do it to a stranger). I dont do it to be seen doing it...it basically means your a spawn of satan.
Reply 19
xelprep
Oh my Lord! this sounds Just like me. My personality is paranoia, pessimism and other things related. I only think of myself and my direct family. I don't know why but I only care about things if it actually relates to ME. I'll give you a bad example; if some idiot comes by me with a charity box I'll make sure it's something like a Cancer foundation because that would help ME in the future god forbid. I wouldn't give a ***** if it was something like children in need. I'm proud of how I am and don't give a sh*t about what people think of this either. I'm sure there's something wrong with me but it's not unhealthy so I havn't bothered to see a shrink or anything.. yet. Another thing, emotional attachments like friends I don't care for so much, I think of it as a way of passing time. I can't explain it.

yeah, I kind of agree with you there.

But not my direct family at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending