The Student Room Group

Manchester vs UCL Engineering department

So I have to decide between UCL and Manchester. Basically, Which one would provide me with better career prospects? Also I have heard bad things about Chemical Engineering department of both unis , but specially UCL. Manchester is way cheaper. I can afford living in London, but I still find it too expensive.. Predicted 91% overall and achieved 90%overall last year.

In general terms, overall rep of UCL > Manchester, However, chem eng department of Manc'>UCL :/

I have already applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh and I want to apply to Bath also (not best rep, but friendly department and I like the Uni+good links with industry).

What should I do? UCL or Manchester? I live in the EU so Edinburgh is free:smile: I speak Spanish French and English fluently. The only con about Manc' is that apparently they do not like my education system (=> Eur.Bacc).
Bump!
Reply 2
Manchester, definitely. I find UCL's engineering department to be less organised and less well funded. Manc has a brand new pilot plant and is the only uni apart from Imperial to have one. Engineering is traditionally UCL's weakest department, whilst being Manchester's strongest. Ignore rankings, especially domestic ones. Satisfaction is bull**** for so many reasons, so don't trust them (most of the time). It is worth noting though, that every International ranking i've ever seen (they don't include satisfaction) ranks Manc ahead of UCL in engineering and QS specifically ranked Manc ahead of UCL by quite a few positions for Chemeng. In fact i believe they're 18th in the world (but dont take that to heart).

Also, Manchester is the most targeted uni with the best career's service in the country and one of the best in the world. It was the birthplace of Chemeng. I also found the department to be really friendly and supportfull. I think the course at Manc is less intensive as well.

I think it's worth noting that if you intend to work in the city after you graduate, UCL is probably better. However, something like 40% of Manc graduates dont go into Chemeng, so going to Manc wouldn't be that much of a draw-back in that sense.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 4RealBlud
Manchester, definitely. I find UCL's engineering department to be less organised and less well funded.

Are you studying engineering in Manchester/UCL?

I think it's worth noting that if you intend to work in the city after you graduate, UCL is probably better. However, something like 40% of Manc graduates dont go into Chemeng, so going to Manc wouldn't be that much of a draw-back in that sense.

Where did you get this statistic? Thank you so much for your input!
Reply 4
Original post by johnconnor92
Are you studying engineering in Manchester/UCL?

Where did you get this statistic? Thank you so much for your input!

1- No, but i've applied to both for Chemeng

2- When i went to the subject openday for chemeng, the head of department told me that 40% don't go into chemeng after graduation. I can't remember where i found out (was a while ago), but i remember that at banks n shiz target Oxbridge and UoL graduates more than anywhere else.
Engineering is traditionally UCL's weakest department,

Not strictly true. There are many different types of engineering. UCL has a very strong electronic engineering department for example, but its other engineering departments are weaker. Civil is also quite strong at UCL.

I agree for ChemEng though, Manchester is better for it.
Reply 6
Original post by FranticMind
Not strictly true. There are many different types of engineering. UCL has a very strong electronic engineering department for example, but its other engineering departments are weaker. Civil is also quite strong at UCL.

I agree for ChemEng though, Manchester is better for it.

Ooh, well there you i have been corrected. Although for chemeng he does agree that Manc is better.

i just assumed it's engineering is generally weaker, because overall it's like top ten in the world, but for engineering it's barely 30 :dontknow:
Reply 7
The School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Manchester University was ranked #1 in the country by the Sunday Times (if league tables are of interest to anyone)

Our School took that very seriously when it came out, now they just push us even harder :frown:

http://www.eee.manchester.ac.uk/images/aboutus/news/sundaytimeslargetable.jpg
Reply 8
1- No, but i've applied to both for Chemeng

2- When i went to the subject openday for chemeng, the head of department told me that 40% don't go into chemeng after graduation. I can't remember where i found out (was a while ago), but i remember that at banks n shiz target Oxbridge and UoL graduates more than anywhere else.

According to Unistats, many UCL graduates don't go into ChemEng either.
I am struggling to choose between these two unis as well. What did you not like at UCL?
Reply 9
Original post by Gnakhel
According to Unistats, many UCL graduates don't go into ChemEng either.
I am struggling to choose between these two unis as well. What did you not like at UCL?

Yes, i should have made myself clearer. At UCL i think even less of them go into chemeng probably because they are targeted heavier by banks and finances.
I'm sorry for not backing up this hearsay with any proof (I got it from another forum), but a singaporean who is currently studying civil engineering in UCL says:

i strongly recommend civil engineering in UCL. i'm studying in the faculty of civil environmental and geomatic engineering in UCL now. u can pm me if u have any problems/questions.

imo the degree course teaches much more practical skills than the course in ICL. and it's less stressful so u will have more of a life. there are a lot of job/internship opportunities also.
The top engineering companies tend to recruit only from oxbridge, ICL and UCL.

Can anyone verify for me the authenticity of this statement? Thank you.
Original post by hispanofrançais
So I have to decide between UCL and Manchester. Basically, Which one would provide me with better career prospects? Also I have heard bad things about Chemical Engineering department of both unis , but specially UCL. Manchester is way cheaper. I can afford living in London, but I still find it too expensive.. Predicted 91% overall and achieved 90%overall last year.

In general terms, overall rep of UCL > Manchester, However, chem eng department of Manc'>UCL :/

I have already applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh and I want to apply to Bath also (not best rep, but friendly department and I like the Uni+good links with industry).

What should I do? UCL or Manchester? I live in the EU so Edinburgh is free:smile: I speak Spanish French and English fluently. The only con about Manc' is that apparently they do not like my education system (=> Eur.Bacc).

In terms of engineering Manchester will be the better choice. Compared to the rest of the uni, engineering is not quite up to the standard at UCL although it is improving.

On the other hand UCL enjoys an impressive all-round reputation and prestige amongst top employers. So if you're not looking to go directly in an engineering career after you graduate then UCL may be the better choice
I apologise if this may be a digression from the topic, but does anyone know who are the so-called "top companies" who recruit engineering graduates from UCL and Manchester? I would appreciate it anyone could name me a few. Better yet, does anyone know where can I find information of this sort?

UCL's Chem Eng prospectus says:
First destinations of recent graduates of this programme include:• Exxon Mobil: Engineer - Oil and Gas
BG Group: Process Engineer
M W Kellogg Ltd: Associate Technical Professional - Chemical
Jacobs Engineering: Graduate Process Engineer
UCL : MSc Chemical Process Engineering

Whereas Manchester's prospectus says: "Chemical engineers are widely employed by major manufacturing companies and are amongst the highest paid of the engineering fields..."

What say you?
Reply 13
Originally Posted by FranticMind

Is Civil really strong at UCL? I got an offer to go there but the rankings of UCL civil engineering seem to fluctuate a lot, so I don't really know what to do now :frown:
Reply 14
The statement that 'top engineering employers' only recruit from ucl, imp and oxbridge sounds like extreme b/s or possibly wishful thinking. There is no 'golden triangle of engineering'.

League tables are a lot less useful than people think.
Reply 15
Manchester is traditionally very strong in engineering while its the opposite for UCL although UCL has a better overall reputation.
I have the same confusion
I have offer letter of both Manchester and UCL for computer Science .
Which one do I chose?
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/careers/departments/careers_with_a_chemical_engineering_degree -Average starting salary at UCL is £25,500 which is decent

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/careers/departments/careers_with_an_electronic_and_electrical_engineering_degree- eee-£20,000 which is **** and surprising considering they are supposedly one of their best departments.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/careers/departments/careers_with_a_mechanical_engineering_degree-mechanical engineering which is £26,000 which is supposed to be awful but has a high graduate pay...

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/careers/departments/careers_with_a_civil_environmental_and_geomatic_engineering_degree
civil is £26,000 graduate pay-standard rep

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/careers/departments/careers_with_a_biochemical_engineering_degree -
£31500 which is insanely high for biochemeng which is really surprising since its a new department but is obviously pretty goo

so don't believe **** about which university has a 'better reputation' for which department and all that ****, they are both good universities and one will not give you much better graduate prospects than the other, go to wherever you'll enjoy more.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would advise you to go to University of Manchester because they have got world-class facilities, professors and it is a well-known research university both internationally and nationally. They are particularly so good at engineering subjects. It ranks 4th in the UK for engineering. In the world, University of Manchester ranks around 26th which is extraordinary. Most employees recruit Manchester graduates because of high class education students receive in there. I have also never considered UCL for engineering because I know they are not good at it.

Quick Reply

Latest