The Student Room Group

Birmingham or UCL for chemical engineering

I've been trying to decide for a while now but it's tough.
I've seen some things about UCL's engineering department not being great which is kinda putting me off but they were from a few years ago. Has it improved since then?

If anyone who has studied at either university and/or is doing chemical engineering there could give me a bit of advice that would be quite helpful :smile:
I want to also hear about the social life and the uni experience in general at both
Reply 1
pls I NEED ANSWERS.
(edited 11 months ago)
When I was applying two years ago I considered UoB to be better than UCL. They seemed to have a better department all in all, a really good ChemEng society and solid industry links too in terms of employability. Can't really speak to how nice it is as a city though.
Reply 3
Original post by vxwmas
I've been trying to decide for a while now but it's tough.
I've seen some things about UCL's engineering department not being great which is kinda putting me off but they were from a few years ago. Has it improved since then?

If anyone who has studied at either university and/or is doing chemical engineering there could give me a bit of advice that would be quite helpful :smile:
I want to also hear about the social life and the uni experience in general at both

Bro, I’m in the exact same position. I want to stay in London but all the reviews are putting me off. I need help
Reply 4
Original post by briteeshbro
When I was applying two years ago I considered UoB to be better than UCL. They seemed to have a better department all in all, a really good ChemEng society and solid industry links too in terms of employability. Can't really speak to how nice it is as a city though.

Did you end up going Birmingham then?
Original post by qwerty78989
Did you end up going Birmingham then?

No, Manchester
My point was just that If I wasn't going UoM then I would've probably picked UoB instead
Reply 6
Bro, I’m in the exact same position. I want to stay in London but all the reviews are putting me off. I need help

ikr its tough
yh the reviews are off putting. I feel like i havent read anything about their course from recent years tho??
personally idm moving out of london for uni, i think it would be a fun experience

i think we both need help :frown: but we definitely are not the only ones
Reply 7
Original post by vxwmas
ikr its tough
yh the reviews are off putting. I feel like i havent read anything about their course from recent years tho??
personally idm moving out of london for uni, i think it would be a fun experience

i think we both need help :frown: but we definitely are not the only ones

I wouldn't mind moving out either tbh, but I wanna do a year in industry and masters (easier to get chartered) and i cba to live i Birmingham for 5 years
Reply 8
I wouldn't mind moving out either tbh, but I wanna do a year in industry and masters (easier to get chartered) and i cba to live i Birmingham for 5 years

ooh yh thats fair enough. I've not applied for the year in industry but ive applied for the masters
i'm sure u r already know this but Manchester's yr in industry is rlly good - get ur course done in 4 yrs
Reply 9
Original post by vxwmas
ooh yh thats fair enough. I've not applied for the year in industry but ive applied for the masters
i'm sure u r already know this but Manchester's yr in industry is rlly good - get ur course done in 4 yrs

I didn't apply to the year in industry or the masters, but they allow you to change if you achieve the required grade after year 3 for both unis. Didnt know that about Manchester, too late now.
Hi, I’m currently a year 12 student who is about to start their applications for uni soon. I am predicted 4A’s in Bio,Chem,Phys and Math do you have any ideas on some good unis to apply to with my grades. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest