The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

dh00001
IMO Beckham shouldn't even be in the squad much less be captain.
he plays good balls and is a dead eye a set plays, but thats it. he rarely gets stuck in or plays the easy option. also against Sweden the first goal and when they hit the bar was both his fault. it was his man, he was in the wrong plce, if he couldn't handle him ask someone to swap.
as for being captain, well, all he seems to do is whinge! when defense is poor or players are getting sloppy you need someone to get in their face and pull them together and Beckham just doesnt do it. just my opinion alot of people will disagree but there you go :smile:

oh and terry all the way

We would have lost/drawn to both Paraguay and Ecuador by now if Sven had taken your advice...

Captain is not an important role in English football. Terry barely says any more than Beckham does when he's captain for Chelsea.
Reply 2401
Interesting to note that the last time England played Portugal at the World Cup, it was 40 years ago in 1966, and that was en route to England first and ONLY eventual championship of the tournament. :smile:

We'll have to wait and see what the track ahead presents us with.
Reply 2402
http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/article.aspx?hlid=398348&CPID=4&clid=359&lid=13&title=Ronaldo+fuming+over+challenge

Last two paragraphs:

Meanwhile, Luis Figo faces an anxious wait to see if he will be available to feature against The Three Lions.

The experienced campaigner appeared to aim a head-butt at Mark van Bommel in Sunday's controversial win and could face a ban if Fifa investigate the incident.

If Figo was booked for dissent or something else, then can't FIFA give him another yellow and thus impose a ban for the heabutt? Tbh I don't think the headbutt itself warranted a red, but certainly a yellow as you can't do that and expect to get away with it!
Reply 2404
The ref didn't see the head butt, I think he might have been booked for another reason. It depends what the referee writes in his report.
And its really annoying the way he goes on about hating West Ham at any given opportunity
Reply 2406
If the ref booked him for the head butt then FIFA can't do anything more. If he was booked for something else, perhaps dissent, FIFA could punish him sperarately for the head butt.

Since the ref didn't see the head butt, like others here I think he may have booked Figo for swearing and shouting at the ref.
What did people think of the referreeing on the England game? I thought some of it was terrible! Too many clear fouls not given (remember Gerrard on the edge of the box?) and too many soft ones given (Rooney's hard but perfectly fair shoulder barge on the defender) and all too many given when players simply lost their footing!

I try my best to be unbiased and there were some silly ones that went in our favour, but you remember the ones which go against you :p:
Hope so :smile: That could be 4 first-team players out - and 3 of them, Ronaldo, Figo and Deco - arguably their three best players! I'm not sure how good the other guy is but if he's a regular first-team player then he must be pretty important.

England have been lucky with their fixtures so far. They have a great chance of getting to the semis.
kizer
Johnson, Bent and Defoe are not world-class and never will be. Walcott has that potential

And he proved that when exactly?
Figo's been cleared by FIFA to play England.
Figo's been cleared by FIFA to play England on Saturday.
Reply 2412
What about Deco? He was very unfairly dismissed! A yellow for time wasting but he was *rolling* the ball back to the place where he was fouled, and typically timewasting only warrants a first yellow, a second is very harsh! And the holland player who threw him to the ground . . . wasn't penalized at all. Can FIFA revoke that decision?

Not that im a fan of portugal, but the way england are playing, i think they deserve to loose. Neg rep me if you will but think about it really, they haven't shone and are definately lacking the flair of some other teams (brazil, argentina etc) and i would rather see some of the greatest football in the world than see england play poorly yet win the world cup. I'd like to know what you guys think . . .
Reply 2413
Dp
Reply 2414
Hi there. Well, obviously I've been watching the world cup. And what i don't seem to understand is how both teams can communicate with the referee - speaking different languages n all? Do all the team players have to know english and must communicate with the ref in english? Or do they choose the referee based on what languages they know so that they can understand both teams?

Thanks for any feedback in advance.
roweski
What about Deco? He was very unfairly dismissed! A yellow for time wasting but he was *rolling* the ball back to the place where he was fouled, and typically timewasting only warrants a first yellow, a second is very harsh! And the holland player who threw him to the ground . . . wasn't penalized at all. Can FIFA revoke that decision?

Not that im a fan of portugal, but the way england are playing, i think they deserve to loose. Neg rep me if you will but think about it really, they haven't shone and are definately lacking the flair of some other teams (brazil, argentina etc) and i would rather see some of the greatest football in the world than see england play poorly yet win the world cup. I'd like to know what you guys think . . .

Brazil?? You kidding right? They've shown absolutely minimal/miniscule flair at this world cup. Argentina, they have shown decent amount of flair. Brazil have been poor and i actually fell asleep watching one of their group games, can't remember which game it was, but i did...that says alot.

I feel England probably have the best club players in their squad, in the world - out of all countries. However for some reasons, they don't gel particularly great, and maybe Erikssons' tactics don't help matters. Maybe as England team we're not that great (at least at the moment), because the players really are that good and aren't used to playing with so many good players in their teams at club level...?? We should be using Lennon more as he's a fantastic talent. Beckham should have been taken off sooner than he was, leaving him on after he'd been sick, do me a favour Eriksson you cock.
Reply 2416
http://sports.yahoo.com/wcs/news?slug=reu-worldrefereeslanguage&prov=reuters&type=lgns

That article discusses communication and language issues/requirements as far as teams and referees are concerned.
Reply 2417
i think portugal have just lost their most effective player and the one that could have unlocked our packed midfield. they still have much talent but losing deco and costinha will make them seriously rethink.
wolfbag
i think portugal have just lost their most effective player and the one that could have unlocked our packed midfield. they still have much talent but losing deco and costinha will make them seriously rethink.

I'd prefer Joe Cole in my side, to Deco. However, it's a big blow to them, for sure...
Reply 2419
WHW, I totally agree with you on all the points you've raised, Eriksson is easily the worst manager England has had in decades. And Brazil, i feel, showed more talent in the second half of their final group game that almost every country in the world cup put together! And 'Fat' Ronaldo, whilst not on form still plays better than half the players in the cup. Still they need to pick things up if they want to win it. England are just wasting away . . . Lennon is unbeleivable and Rooney up front by himself, what was he thinking, he has to wait for the midfield to reach him to get round the defenders, by which time the rest of ecudors midfield had swept the ball away from him and were already passed the midfielders rushing forward for rooney.

My gran could do better . . . .

Latest