The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lovelee-jublee
Why does this bother you so much??? I never thought I'd say this but... 'It's just a game!' - are you at any way personally involved in the match? I don't think so, so why are you so adamant you are correct? There is no element of betrayal whatsoever - players will be loyal to the team they are playing for - in Portugal v England, Ronaldo is representing his country not his club, something I would hold far dearer to me than wanting to stay on the side of my club team mate.

Exactly, it's the World Cup!
I'll admit the wink was a bad move...
ba_ba1
for the hype he gets, he should be doing alot better. The world cup has seen many better strikers in recent years - Klose, Vieri, Batistuta, Ronaldo - he's simply not up with them.

Granted these players may have been better than Henry at a international level but what about on the European stage? Arsenal have been constantly underachieving in Europe up until last year yet Henry has managed 41 goals. Obviously tough for Klose and Batistuta but none of them have been plorific in Europe.

For someone who goes missing in big games playing for a team who usually does badly in Europe, 41 goals and the 4th highest CL scorer on the biggest yearly stage isnt bad really.
Reply 4442
Rainy
Who do you lot reckon have been the better performers of the WC? I'd go for Zidane, Cannavaro, and that Pirlo-Gattuso partnership as being particularly bright.

Zidane for me.....
forkwise
Exactly, it's the World Cup!
I'll admit the wink was a bad move...

Yes, the wink was very cocky, but to be honest, I think I would after my so called team mate stamped on one of MY team mates nuts :p:
Reply 4444
can we just move on now?.......
But the winking indicates he's pleased about the sending off, which isn't very sportsmanlike. (Well of course all the Portuguese were happy about it but it's not in good taste to go celebrating :p:)
---------------------Lehmann------------------
Zambrotta----Cannavaro--Marquez----Grosso/Lahm
--------------------Mascherano----------------
---------Rodriguez-----------------Zidane------
--------------------Riquelme-------------------
--------------Tevez----------------------------
---------------------------Klose----------------

Subs
---------------------Ricardo----------------
Lahm-------Ferdinand------Ooijer--------Boka
Robben------Rosicky------Fabregas--------J.Cole
--------------Totti----------------------------
---------------------------Torres----------------
#2(Laika)
can we just move on now?.......

Tell that to justfarhan, I think the majority of people have been trying to say that through a large portion of this thread!
so does all this can we move on talk mean we're not going to lynch him anymore? :frown:
mermania
Ronaldo for Brazil scored 3, and he was pretty damn ****.
He's a striker, no? Makes quite a difference.

mermania
you shouldn't be praising them just for being brave to DO it, someone HAS to. It takes bottle to slam a penalty into the top corner when it's so easy that you could miss completely. It doesn't take nearly as much to go for the hopeful "at least it was on target" tame shots of Lampard and Gerrard.
They were brave enough to say they wanted to take the pens.

mermania
so you admit the stamping was appalling and deserved a red then? But you're just annoyed that Ronaldo thought so too and told the ref? A bit of a trivial complaint???!?!
I wouldn't go as far as calling an accident 'appaling', and accidents don't deserve red cards. Furthermore, Rooney was fouled around 3 times in the space of 5 seconds before his team mate got him sent off.
Reply 4450
calderstonesLFC
Zidane,Maniche hasnt been bad,Totti,Hargreaves

Totti??
lovelee-jublee
Why does this bother you so much??? I never thought I'd say this but... 'It's just a game!' - are you at any way personally involved in the match? I don't think so, so why are you so adamant you are correct? There is no element of betrayal whatsoever - players will be loyal to the team they are playing for - in Portugal v England, Ronaldo is representing his country not his club, something I would hold far dearer to me than wanting to stay on the side of my club team mate.
Meh, it bothers me because my country lost and it was because of Ronaldo. That's why, end of.

Otherwise I couldn't give a **** what Rooney and Ronaldo do to eachother, they could go kill eachother for all I care.

Why was that 'betrayal' so significant to me? Because it doesn't happen much (as far as I know - it never has before) and because it did happen, it cost us the game.
justfarhan
They were brave enough to say they wanted to take the pens.

They missed every single one except for Hargreaves, which Ricardo even got a touch to. I think mermania meant they didn't 'have the bottle' to score the penalty, not just simply take the penalty.
forkwise
They missed every single one except for Hargreaves, which Ricardo even got a touch to. I think mermania meant they didn't 'have the bottle' to score the penalty, not just simply take the penalty.
I don't see the difference? You opt to take a penalty because you're confident and want to score.

No? Sorry if I'm wrong.
Scoring a penalty involves a lot of confidence, not just power, accuracy... And I think the list of penalty takers is one already made so some of the players were probably nervous at the moment.
LH
If we're talking World Cup form rather than general ability, Ronaldinho should be no where near the team. By anyone's standards he was poor, but by his own standards he was ****e.

I don't agree that Ronaldinho played poor this world cup. He played really good during their France defeat match but I admit he didn't play as good as he could usually he is on a higher standard but we can't just note him off like that.
ba_ba1
exactly, and why is rooney in his team aswell!

I know Rooney didn't score goals for us but I think he gave us more momentum and higher expectancy in the games.
Yes, he plays loads better for Barca, but this is a world cup team, not team of players that were in this world cup :p:
forkwise
Scoring a penalty involves a lot of confidence, not just power, accuracy... And I think the list of penalty takers is one already made so some of the players were probably nervous at the moment.
Who knows, eh? :wink:

I personally feel the chose 2 Liverpool players to hopefully get some of our luck at penalties. Heh :redface: :rolleyes: :biggrin: :mad: :smile: :frown: :confused: :suitd: :suitc: :cool: :eek: :suith:
ba_ba1
Totti??

Scratch that, didnt quite think it through.
Add klose,podolski,valencia to it tho

Latest