The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bakke and Stone are two examples of excellent players who never quite managed to break into the top elite when they should have. I think Leeds will do just fine this year.
gemgems89
This is off-topic, the only way something would happen to your beloved team is if Hezbollah fired a missile there. It is only logical, therefore, that it's their fault. End of.
You're so cute lol
Rafael Benitez today insisted Liverpool must not be made to travel to Israel to play their Champions League qualifier against Maccabi Haifa.

The Reds' manager is appalled at the prospect of the club's staff, players and fans travelling for a game in Israel at a time when the country is involved in military action.

"It's a crazy situation and totally unacceptable to even think about us going over there at this time," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"A few years back when I was with Valencia we were drawn to play Maccabi Haifa in a UEFA Cup tie and the match was switched to Cyprus. The situation then was nowhere near as bad as it is now.

"Valencia also had a European game in the Ukraine on the day the twin towers were attacked in America and I can remember the confusion that caused with the players on their mobile phones constantly to their families who were wondering when we'd be getting back. It's impossible to prepare for a game in these circumstances.

"There is no way we should be going to Israel to play a game of football at this time. It's crazy to even consider it. UEFA cannot put anyone at risk. The situation is very clear in my mind. I feel sad for the people over there at the moment because it's a terrible time for them, but we have to put the security and safety of everyone involved before anything else and that means we cannot travel there. It would be impossible to concentrate on the game.

"UEFA need to make a decision quickly because there will be lots of our supporters wanting to know what is happening."

Nice one Rafa. :biggrin:
No way should we sent our most prized assets into a war zone for a game which could be all but won by the second leg.
Not a ****ing chance, i wouldnt want to go there as a fan either.
justfarhan
israel started all the nonsense, and it'd be more their fault if they didn't move the game to be played elsewhere.

Yep. And the Yanks give them money, just like the Irish. But when they get some like 9/11...:rolleyes:

Israel shouldn't have teams in European football anyway.
Reply 5745
Keeper here. Which is fairly unusual, as I'm 5'8", so I occasionally lose out when it comes to high/very wide shots. But I've got good reflexes, and am insane enough to dive at anyone's feet (which has resulted in me being sent off once after a striker flicked the ball away at the last minute and I plowed straight through him and did something to his kneee). But I love it, as long as the defence is actually there, the moments when they all lumber upfield, and a single long ball means that there are 3 strikers against just me are always unnerving.
kpg
Not really relevent to the discussion but thought I'd put in a great little line my mate (goalkeeper) told me last year ...

Me : so, how'd you get on over the weekend?
Mate : Yeah, I had a great game, probably man of the match
Me : Great, so what was the score?
Mate : We lost 11-0

:biggrin:

lol 11-0. so was he the keeper? if so ive been mom when lost 14-0 before.
gemgems89
Er, and why not? Just like they'd have to go to any other country.

Yeah your right, it is just like any other country in europe at the moment isn't it. Yes, nothing dangerous going on at all. Bloody poncy footballers- they need a few rockets to explode near them to bring them down to earth!!:mad: :rolleyes:
zertrudetrout
Did you see stoney play at the end of last year? He looked class, just not fully fit due to being injured for 10 months, he's had a good hard preseason this year. A midfield picked from Eddie Lewis, Steve Stone, Seb Carole, Eirik Bakke, Shaun Derry, Kev Nicholls and Dave Livermore looks quite handy to me.

Here's to Birmingham going into leeds style freefall...

Livermore and Nicholls will probably be banned for half the season between them! I don't know how you have still got Erik Bakke though- he's quality and i'm suprised no prem clubs have come in for him. Everytime i've seen steve stone play he's been ok but nothing spectacular.
Reply 5749
How dare anyone say a midfield of Shaun "Beans on Toast" Derry is not a threat, he's a threat all by himself. Did you see some of the tackles he was putting in last season. Old school. Plus, I reckon with Livermore and Nicholls, we'll have a complete crunch fest on our hands!

Actually, I agree that Stevie Stone is too old, not particularly quick enough and if other options were there, I'd prefer not to see him play. Although people say he had an "off day" at the Play Off final but I was metres away from the pitch and can categorically state that every player was abysmal except for Killer, who hilariously played at left back. Story of our life.

Speaking of Killer, it's a few defenders we need. Not sure I can handle another season of Big Butts at centre back. He's a great character but let's face it, even as a youngster he was an old fashioned 2nd division centre back and he's never got much better. Sure, running into him is like running into a brick ****house but we need someone who can run, or at least walk quickly without the aid of a zimmerframe.

And Bakke. BAKKE! No club in their right mind would touch that little legend with all the bargepoles in the world, stuck together to form a Superbargepole. Always injured and when he was fit again, he was going off injured. Total liablity and is on a wage of gold pigs to boot.

I don't know how we'll do this year. Start on the right foot, automatic promotions not completely out of our hands, but I reckon we'll finish 4th or 9th.
'Dirty Leeds' will live up to their name.

Butler is the only defender in the world who when he jumps actually gains no extra height. There is talk of him coming back to us- it better just be a rumour.
white_haired_wizard
Has a final verdict been reached as to what words/abuses Materazzi gave to Zidane?

I have seen the incident replayed a thousand times. I have pored over the evidence submitted by countless lip-readers, both amateur and professional. And I have absorbed the competing and slightly shifting public claims made since the event by its protagonists, not to mention the account rendered by one of the protagonist’s mothers.

Yet, after all that, I have read no more plausible or compelling a description of what was actually said by Marco Materazzi to Zinedine Zidane than the one circulated widely by e-mail this week: "There’s a wasp on your head."
why are ppl still talking abt this?
much as i admire butler (we're similar type players), you're more than welcome to him. particularly has the bastard injured kev nicholls in training 'cos he'd just been given the captaincy
zertrudetrout
particularly has the bastard injured kev nicholls in training 'cos he'd just been given the captaincy

:biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 5755
Carricks a good player but 18 million+, One word describes that- OVERPRICED. Just hope he lives up to hs price tag, once the transfer goes through.
Fluid
Carricks a good player but 18 million+, One word describes that- OVERPRICED. Just hope he lives up to hs price tag, once the transfer goes through.

Alonso for £10m or Carrick for £18m..Not a hard choice really.
Reply 5757
calderstonesLFC
Alonso for £10m or Carrick for £18m..Not a hard choice really.

You make it sound like they were availible at the same time (well, Carrick was availible around that time but from West Ham for about a couple of million). If United were to have bought Alonso when they were interested they would've paid around £25m unlike the £8m we paid.
I think Carrick will be a good player for us, but I agree £18m is a bit steep. I think around £12m would have been a fair price, Spurs must have some hard negotiaters!

Compare it to the £10m we sold Ruud for - there's no way Carrick's worth two Ruuds!
My younger brother, of 18 years, thinks Ronaldinho is not as good as people, the press....think him to be. He's been saying this for a good while and not simply on the back on the germany world cup finals where he was largely an anonymous figure/presence.

I understand some media love to sensationalize and hype some issues up. Do you people think Ronaldinho is really this good?

Regards
WHW

Latest