The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I nearly pissed myself when I heard the score lol.

Anyone that beats the french deserves a medal IMO. I hate the French so very, very much :p:
I'll try and ignore the anti French comments :p:

I'm glad I decided to wear my kilt after all... and I'm glad they won, the atmosphere was just cracking in the pub, so much more fun !!! Had a great day ! Hope France and Scotland will both do it to the Euro 2008 :p:
Reply 8342
Steezy20
I nearly pissed myself when I heard the score lol.

Anyone that beats the french deserves a medal IMO. I hate the French so very, very much :p:

I choked on my KFC when I saw.
how many countries allowed to advance each group?
Juwel
I choked on my KFC when I saw.

It's just I had preconceptions and stereotypical info on the French before I went on my summer holiday the other year. E.g. it's a stereotype that the French are dirty? (Don't moan at me, I didn't make that up) Well when you go to France when 17 and come back with chicken-pox, it does nothing to dispell this rumour.

I like Monaco if that's any consolation.

I do hate the French in footballing terms more than in general country terms.
I couldn't believe it when we won!

I couldn't listen to the last five mintues - was way too nervous.
Now watch in disbelief as Scotland perform the world's greatest reversing trick :p:
Reply 8347
What a result, it really was a magnificent day to be Scottish.

I have never been so proud of a team in my life, France have so much more talent than us but true Scottish fighting spirit won the day in the end.

And what a party it was after it as well, then when I heard Ireland got hammered it just capped a perfect day.

Thierry Henry yer having a laugh

And unlucky Mr McGeady, as they say in Glasgow, get it round ye
Reply 8348
I thought they were the nominees for the team of the year? Unless the player of the year also comes from that list...
Barfee

GOALKEEPERS - Buffon Van der sar
DEFENDERS -Cafu, Carlos,
MIDFIELDERS - Gattuso,Totti,Vieira, Ze Roberto

What have these done to be on this list?
lorrybeep
how many countries allowed to advance each group?

Top two teams from each of the seven groups, plus Austria and Switzerland as automatic qualifiers (being the hosts) would make up the sixteen teams in the group stages :smile:

Scotland are one of only six teams to still have a 100% win record in the qualifiers so far (the others being Sweden and Czech Republic (who have also played three games), and Germany, Greece and Turkey (who have each played two games))

I'm also quite pleased with Northern Ireland's performance thus far - a victory over Spain and a draw with Denmark - they're doing pretty damn well :smile:
calderstonesLFC
What have these done to be on this list?

Well van der Sar was one of the best keepers in the Prem since joining United. Only parralelled by Cech in that respect. Buffon is the best keeper in the world... no contest.

As for the rest however, I have absolutely no clue. Totti hasn't even been back from injury for long and he was terribly wasteful at the World Cup. Gattuso is consistantly good, but hardly the best.
Steezy20
Well van der Sar was one of the best keepers in the Prem since joining United. Only parralelled by Cech in that respect.

What has he actually done? Has he kept 34 clean sheets in a single season like Reina? Has he strung together a 10 game clean sheet run like Reina? He hasnt done very much to be rated above many keepers.
Steezy20
Buffon is the best keeper in the world... no contest.

So you get in on reputation?
Steezy20
Well van der Sar was one of the best keepers in the Prem since joining United. Only parralelled by Cech in that respect. Buffon is the best keeper in the world... no contest.

As for the rest however, I have absolutely no clue. Totti hasn't even been back from injury for long and he was terribly wasteful at the World Cup. Gattuso is consistantly good, but hardly the best.
How?
Reply 8354
calderstonesLFC
What has he actually done? Has he kept 34 clean sheets in a single season like Reina? Has he strung together a 10 game clean sheet run like Reina? He hasnt done very much to be rated above many keepers.

Maybe not 34, but he managed 24 in his first season at OT, 5 clean sheets on the trot from his debut, which are still impressive, and has had a big impact on the United team, looking like the replacement for Schmikes that we've been after for ages. He also had a solid WC IMHO. However I agree that the selections are strange, with players missing out, and others included that perhaps shouldn't have been. Then again, we dont know how the minds of professional footballers work, they must see things we don't.
Dalimyr
Top two teams from each of the seven groups, plus Austria and Switzerland as automatic qualifiers (being the hosts) would make up the sixteen teams in the group stages :smile:

Scotland are one of only six teams to still have a 100% win record in the qualifiers so far (the others being Sweden and Czech Republic (who have also played three games), and Germany, Greece and Turkey (who have each played two games))

I'm also quite pleased with Northern Ireland's performance thus far - a victory over Spain and a draw with Denmark - they're doing pretty damn well :smile:

i see..

so france is competing again with italy to get qualified?!
what's the odd of france advancing?
Reply 8356
calderstonesLFC

So you get in on reputation?

Well the players do the nominating so I guess so. For this reason I have no respect for the FIFPros, they're just a chance for footballers to get in the papers with all their celeb friends and crack on to Scrlett Johansonn.
Rafael Marquez
Steven Gerrard
Cesc Fabregas

They woud be my top 3 but i fink it is extremely unlikely that any of them will be in the actual top 3. Possibly Gerrard.

I chose Marquez btw because i thought if Mexico didn't have him they cud of got knocked out in the group stages!
am i the only one who thinks Klose will be in top 3 with the WC hes had?
fernando
am i the only one who thinks Klose will be in top 3 with the WC hes had?

I did think that the first world cup Klose was in was a bit of a fluke. I was wrong, he was great in the last world cup again. Don't seem to hear much about his league performances though tbh.

Latest