The Student Room Group

Successful Cambridge Applicants Chat - 2006

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3740
Apart from the obvious reading lists, has anyone got a recommended read for the summer? I need some new fiction in my life :biggrin:
Ruthie_J
Apart from the obvious reading lists, has anyone got a recommended read for the summer? I need some new fiction in my life :biggrin:

What genre's you into? Literary/pop? Sci-Fi/Romance? Comedy/Crime? Give us something to work with!
Reply 3742
wanderer
What genre's you into? Literary/pop? Sci-Fi/Romance? Comedy/Crime? Give us something to work with!

Lets say i'm generally very open-minded!!! I love the classics, but i've not read anything new for AGGEEESS. I like romance, fantasy and comedy but not crime :p:
Ruthie_J
Lets say i'm generally very open-minded!!! I love the classics, but i've not read anything new for AGGEEESS. I like romance, fantasy and comedy but not crime :p:

Good good, here are a few:

Literary - "Midnight's Children" by Salman Rushdie, or "Shalimar the Clown." If you haven't read him, jump to it! i'm reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude", by Gabriel Garcia Marquez at the moment, that seems pretty good. And since you've got all summer, War and Peace is well worth a look if you haven't read it. Long, but amazing.

Romance - Umm, yes. I think I'll leave that to others. Is Sassygirl around?

Fantasy/Sci-Fi - Anything and everything by Iain M. Banks. His non sci-fi stuff (as Iain Banks) is well worth a look too, especially "The Bridge" and "The Crow Road". Fantasy-wise, Michael Moorcock's stuff is amazing if you can get hold of it. "The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley is an incredible Arthurian fantasy, and "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman are a must-read, again if you haven't already.

Pop/Comedy - Anything by Christopher Brookmyre. He kicks bottom.

I don't like crime either. :biggrin:
Reply 3744
Ahh i've read Pullman - his imagery is beautiful. I was going to look into War and Peace actually - as you say, theres a big hulk of a summer stretched out in front of me :smile:
I'm reading The Idiot by Dostoyevsky at the moment; only on Chapter 6 but i'm going strong :biggrin: Just finished the Screwtape letters by C.S Lewis - thoroughly enjoyed that too! Brilliant little book.
Never heard of Iain Banks - i'll be sure to look him up now thanks! As for the romance..... i'm just an Austin Girlie at heart :rolleyes:
Ruthie_J
Ahh i've read Pullman - his imagery is beautiful. I was going to look into War and Peace actually - as you say, theres a big hulk of a summer stretched out in front of me :smile:
I'm reading The Idiot by Dostoyevsky at the moment; only on Chapter 6 but i'm going strong :biggrin: Just finished the Screwtape letters by C.S Lewis - thoroughly enjoyed that too! Brilliant little book.
Never heard of Iain Banks - i'll be sure to look him up now thanks! As for the romance..... i'm just an Austin Girlie at heart :rolleyes:

I think my dad had "The Idiot" knocking about downstairs somewhere, I may take a look at some point. Iain Banks is my favourite author - his imagination is simply incredible.

Hmph. Austen. She's alright, but talk about overrated ...
Reply 3746
John Wyndham is very good for sci-fi too
I've bought 3 books off the 16 strong recommended reading list for engineers, a book on teach yourself C++ programming and the complete Lord of the rings, in paperback, am hoping to order seasons 4 and 5 of 24 as soon as funds permit.

I don't really read books though.

Today I've been making photo montages of my last 8 years, am doing one of the leavers ball as soon as i get some photos though.

I've just realised we really are being let out into the big wide world permanently... and is anyone else petrified they aren't going to be clever enough for Cambridge even if you ever make your offer, which you believe is becoming increasingly unlikely...

Sorry i think last night's 4 hours sleep has affected my head, stupid heat wave
No need to read nat sci books? Goooood. Too depressing if I miss my offer anyway!
Love War and peace - totally amazing. Do you like mystery (not crime)? If so, recommending Emma Brown. Charlotte Bronte wrote the 1st few chapters but her hubby told her it was too like Jane Eyre (like that's a bad thing?!) so she left it. Recently a woman found it and finished it - thought it would be not good doing that but was actually really good.
Apagg
John Wyndham is very good for sci-fi too

Oh, definitely, for a very different sort of thing as well. Some of his stuff really scared me when I was about 13.
Reply 3750
crazynutter

I've just realised we really are being let out into the big wide world permanently... and is anyone else petrified they aren't going to be clever enough for Cambridge even if you ever make your offer, which you believe is becoming increasingly unlikely...

Yes! I'm rubbish at Maths, and the majority of my fellow students will have done Further Maths. It's not looking good I must say.
Apagg
Yes! I'm rubbish at Maths, and the majority of my fellow students will have done Further Maths. It's not looking good I must say.

I'm reasonably certain that if I do get in I'll be towards the bottom of the scale, but as thats pretty good anywhere else I'm not too panicy.
So long as I'm not the only one they are going to wish they never let in. It will be odd though, we are going from schools where we are like top few in most of the subjects we do, but we will be so average once we get to cambridge, because everyone there is the 'best' at what they do... I don't think I've ever been average!
Reply 3753
crazynutter
and is anyone else petrified they aren't going to be clever enough for Cambridge even if you ever make your offer, which you believe is becoming increasingly unlikely...

You wouldn't believe how much lol :albertein
I think my worries have increased since I started posting on here, its seemed to have drawn the event ever closer... i'm actually going to have to grow up, survive on my own, and appear at least outwardly intelligent at the same time. Hmm. anyone have a hole i can crawl into? :redface:
I have a large rock if that will suffice?
Reply 3755
wanderer
Oh, definitely, for a very different sort of thing as well. Some of his stuff really scared me when I was about 13.

The bleak worlds that he sometimes ends up with are pretty disturbing, but I really enjoy reading about dystopias - Brave New World, 1984, Clockwork Orange - so I guess it fits in.
Reply 3756
crazynutter
I have a large rock if that will suffice?

Sounds perfect!

I really know what you mean about feeling average after coming from a place where you're regarded as top. Although on the same level, I'm really excited about the possibility of being around many people probably a lot more intelligent that I am, seeing what they have to offer. I reckon i'll be far more motivated and spurred on :biggrin:
Is war and peace actually good???

I love reading Philippa Gregory - she's amazing! And Pullman of course... Recently read the Moonlit Cage - that was extraordinary!

Im fine with people being more intelligent than me...just not the thought of me failing to do essays and them all doing them and doing amazingly!
Reply 3758
ITALY!!!!!
-x- Lici
Is war and peace actually good???

Well, it didn't become famous just for being long! It is very, very good, one of the all-time greats IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending