The Student Room Group

Foundation year at Southampton?

Is this a good route to opt for in terms of getting a fantastic University placement and receiving the best possible education, as well as a stimulating experience?
A little bit about myself before I go on: I have a passion for a computing-related degree and career; but unfortunately, I only have a C in Mathematics to my name, as well as Biology/Psychology driven A-Levels. I'm worried I won't be able to find a suitable University that looks past my subject choices (I understand why Mathematics or Physics is essential) and sees a charismatic student who loves computer-based problem solving, programming and developing skills.

I was feeling downhearted, until I read this:
http://www.soton.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2012/engineering_physics_geophysics_foundation.shtml

This seems like a really good opportunity to redeem myself and be taught the foundation principles for a Computer Science degree. I believe, after reading that page, that through that foundation degree I can apply for Bsc Computer Science -- or is it Computer Science with the foundation year added? I'd love information on this process, as well as a few other questions answered: do companies look down on applicants who have a foundation year? Is it really that easy -- in the sense that after the foundation course, you can be entered to the full degree programme? The Computer Science degree asks for an AAA with Mathematics; the foundation asks for a BBB. I can easily get a BBB in my chosen subjects (Biology, English Language, Psychology), apply for the foundation course, complete it and this will negate the demand for Mathematics and the entry requirements? I don't understand the practicality of this system. However, it looks really good and I'd love to be part of this, as Southampton is a great Universality and I love their Computer Science module.
Reply 1
Original post by Digital Bug
Is this a good route to opt for in terms of getting a fantastic University placement and receiving the best possible education, as well as a stimulating experience?
A little bit about myself before I go on: I have a passion for a computing-related degree and career; but unfortunately, I only have a C in Mathematics to my name, as well as Biology/Psychology driven A-Levels. I'm worried I won't be able to find a suitable University that looks past my subject choices (I understand why Mathematics or Physics is essential) and sees a charismatic student who loves computer-based problem solving, programming and developing skills.

I was feeling downhearted, until I read this:
http://www.soton.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2012/engineering_physics_geophysics_foundation.shtml

This seems like a really good opportunity to redeem myself and be taught the foundation principles for a Computer Science degree. I believe, after reading that page, that through that foundation degree I can apply for Bsc Computer Science -- or is it Computer Science with the foundation year added? I'd love information on this process, as well as a few other questions answered: do companies look down on applicants who have a foundation year? Is it really that easy -- in the sense that after the foundation course, you can be entered to the full degree programme? The Computer Science degree asks for an AAA with Mathematics; the foundation asks for a BBB. I can easily get a BBB in my chosen subjects (Biology, English Language, Psychology), apply for the foundation course, complete it and this will negate the demand for Mathematics and the entry requirements? I don't understand the practicality of this system. However, it looks really good and I'd love to be part of this, as Southampton is a great Universality and I love their Computer Science module.

Did you read my post based on determination a few days ago? If yes, then you know the answer.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1838109
Yes, you do the foundation year with a BBB -- they assume you have little to no advanced knowledge of Mathematics and/or Physics -- if you complete the foundation year you can apply to enroll in their full 3 year Computer Science course and get your degree.

That simple.

Why it took 3 days for you to get an answer, I will never know. This board must be slow.
Reply 3
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Yes, you do the foundation year with a BBB -- they assume you have little to no advanced knowledge of Mathematics and/or Physics -- if you complete the foundation year you can apply to enroll in their full 3 year Computer Science course and get your degree.

That simple.

Why it took 3 days for you to get an answer, I will never know. This board must be slow.

In your opinion, is this better than Lancaster's CS degree?
No because it costs more and takes longer, and at the end of the day you leave with the same degree and qualifications lol
Reply 5
I agree with Digital Bug - Go for the lancaster degree!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending