The Student Room Group

Working Class at University?

Scroll to see replies

Challenge these people who are rude to you. That's what I eventually had to end up doing and it was much better that way, because I was educating people in the process and the comments eventually stopped :yes:
Original post by Rascacielos
Do you really want to hang around with people who take the piss because of where you come from? Stick with the people who appreciate you for who you are, not who others think you should be.

I've had a similar experience. I'm not sure whether I'd class myself as working or middle class (I'm not really bothered so I don't think about it that often!) but I come from Lincolnshire and people seem to have a problem with that because it's north (apparently - last time I checked it was in the Midlands, but anyway!). A couple of days ago a girl said to me "do you say 'bath' and 'grass' in the posh way or the chavvy way?"... And when I told her I said "baath" she looked surprised. I asked her why and she said "well, you're from Lincolnshire." Eh yes, have you got a problem with that? (I wasn't even aware using short vowels is chavvy but there we are!).

So I don't think it's uncommon to be judged on where you come from but at the same time, I don't think it's particularly acceptable for people to judge you on something so superficial either.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Most of the time I dont get worked up on it. I just sometimes feel disappointed that Uni isnt what I expected it to be. I feel out of my comfort zone and although I tried at first, I have given up trying to talk to all different types of people. I would feel insulted if someone said "do you say it the chavvy way"! The word "chavvy" pisses me off. You should try and pick up on something that they say differently and be like psht wtf, why are you saying it like that lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EffieFlowers
That's completely irrelevant. :rolleyes:

The point I am making is, if you think of yourself as working class and as 'them' as middle class then you are automatically judging yourself, judging them and comparing and contrasting.

No, you said that you wouldn't notice the class divide without actively thinking about it, and that is bull****. From the clothes we wear to the way we speak to the words we use to the foods we eat our class is as influential as our ethnic background, hometown, or any other environmental factors, and you can definitely tell. Your sentiment is nice and everything but if I go round somewhere greeting people with 'safe fam what you saying' people know I ain't been on many skiing holidays without approaching the conversation thinking 'let's try and glean what this guy's parents earn'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by ilovefashion90
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I know i already said it but I feel out of place. Even if I go out to lunch with some people I dont feel like I am being myself and I am holding back the real me to impress people at Uni and that I can never really be great friends with them. I didnt move out for Uni so I find it strange going to Uni and coming back home to see my friends who finished college a couple of hours earlier. It feels weird being at Uni while most of my friends are at College or different Unis.

You just need to ignore as I said the nobheads, and then try to get along with the people you think you could like. Maybe try to find things you have in common, instead of focusing on whats different. I don't know much about living at home when studying, but maybe thats also part of the gap seeing as you probably don't spend as much time around the people your talking about.
That's completely irrelevant. :rolleyes:

The point I am making is, if you think of yourself as working class and as 'them' as middle class then you are automatically judging yourself, judging them and comparing and contrasting.

I wouldn't have thought of myself like that if I didn't get any comments or if it wasn't relevant. The fact is that it is relevant. I cant just erase my background and act like there isn't any class differences between us.
Original post by Rascacielos
Do you really want to hang around with people who take the piss because of where you come from? Stick with the people who appreciate you for who you are, not who others think you should be.

I've had a similar experience. I'm not sure whether I'd class myself as working or middle class (I'm not really bothered so I don't think about it that often!) but I come from Lincolnshire and people seem to have a problem with that because it's north (apparently - last time I checked it was in the Midlands, but anyway!). A couple of days ago a girl said to me "do you say 'bath' and 'grass' in the posh way or the chavvy way?"... And when I told her I said "baath" she looked surprised. I asked her why and she said "well, you're from Lincolnshire." Eh yes, have you got a problem with that? (I wasn't even aware using short vowels is chavvy but there we are!).

So I don't think it's uncommon to be judged on where you come from but at the same time, I don't think it's particularly acceptable for people to judge you on something so superficial either.

Also from Lincolnshire but I've had so many people say I sound 'posh'! It sounds awful, but I've not met a single northerner since moving here. When my boyfriend comes down from Sheffield (where he's from), his accent really sticks out and when I go up there, the same happens to me.
Reply 26
Original post by JCC-MGS
No, you said that you wouldn't notice the class divide without actively thinking about it, and that is bull****. From the clothes we wear to the way we speak to the words we use to the foods we eat our class is as influential as our ethnic background, hometown, or any other environmental factors, and you can definitely tell. Your sentiment is nice and everything but if I go round somewhere greeting people with 'safe fam what you saying' people know I ain't been on many skiing holidays without approaching the conversation thinking 'let's try and glean what this guy's parents earn'.

You're really generalising, by the earnings of my parents I'd be classed as 'working class' but the only thing you listed which may 'betray' me would be clothes, as I find brand names obnoxious and refuse to wear them. Obviously you're more likely to fit stereotypes if you grow up with family and friends who match them but it's not always the case and I doubt anyone would be able to tell what the earnings of my parents are by how I speak or the type of food I eat :smile:

There's such a thing as individuality, and with most people growing up with the internet there's no reason at all to think that people will mirror their parents, even if their parents do match class stereotypes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
I'm kinda in the same position. I have two pointers:

1) Don't change who you are

2) Don't think about it too much
Original post by Muninn
You're really generalising, by the earnings of my parents I'd be classed as 'working class' but the only thing you listed which may 'betray' me would be clothes, as I find brand names obnoxious and refuse to wear them. Obviously you're more likely to fit stereotypes if you grow up with family and friends who match them but it's not always the case and I doubt anyone would be able to tell what the earnings of my parents are by how I speak or the type of food I eat :smile:

There's such a thing as individuality, and with most people growing up with the internet there's no reason at all to think that people will mirror their parents, even if their parents do match class stereotypes.

Yeah sure, you're a unique snowflake. Class is a lot more than what your parents earn so I'm willing to renege on that point and I know that there is always wiggle room within a social structure for individuality, particularly with the internet, but the fact remains that we are all influenced by our own environment, our environment is influenced by our class and these things are not just things which we dream up and cling to.
Original post by JCC-MGS
No, you said that you wouldn't notice the class divide without actively thinking about it, and that is bull****.
From the clothes we wear
What clothes do you expect me to wear then? How will my dress sense differ from that of a middle class person? please tell me, this shall be interesting. What is my dress sense like?

Original post by JCC-MGS
to the way we speak to the words we use

So am I less literate then? Do I have a different accent even though I live in a mixed area of middle class/ working class people? Do I have a less 'worldly' appeal?
Original post by JCC-MGS
to the foods we eat
Oh! Oh yes, that is very true, I live on a diet of KFC and turkey twizzlers. What is humus? Because I am labelled as working class I must certainly be wrong in only eating free-range meat and I certainly mustn't enjoy oven roasted vegetables drizzled in olive oil. If I were to eat that green and orange stuff, I must take note, and fry it, in the oil I earlier fried my chips in.
Original post by JCC-MGS
our class is as influential as our ethnic background, hometown, or any other environmental factors, and you can definitely tell. Your sentiment is nice and everything but if I go round somewhere greeting people with 'safe fam what you saying' people know I ain't been on many skiing holidays without approaching the conversation thinking 'let's try and glean what this guy's parents earn'.

Well let me tell you something darling, you must have a very stereotypical view and your opinion of people from working class backgrounds must definitely have been from glimpses of ITV programmes and Eastenders.

Excuse me while I press my hands into my eyes. I am tired, and incredibly agitated.

And just to add, I never said that at all, you, yet again, completely misunderstood me. The point I was making was I chose not to limit myself to class stereotypes and generalizations. If someone were to ask me what my class is, I wouldn't answer them.
I'd happily say what occupation band I am in, but I would never give an answer as to what social class I am.
(edited 12 years ago)
What clothes do you expect me to wear then? How will my dress sense differ from that of a middle class person? please tell me, this shall be interesting. What is my dress sense like?

So am I less literate then? Do I have a different accent even though I live in a mixed area of middle class/ working class people? Do I have a less 'worldly' appeal?
Oh! Oh yes, that is very true, I live on a diet of KFC and turkey twizzlers. What is humus? Because I am labelled as working class I must certainly be wrong in only eating free-range meat and I certainly mustn't enjoy oven roasted vegetables drizzled in olive oil. If I were to eat that green and orange stuff, I must take note, and fry it, in the oil I earlier fried my chips in.

Well let me tell you something darling, you must have a very stereotypical view and your opinion of people from working class backgrounds must definitely have been from glimpses of ITV programmes and Eastenders.

Excuse me while I press my hands into my eyes. I am tired, and incredibly agitated.

I'm not middle class so don't try and talk down to me like I'm some trust fund ****.
Original post by JCC-MGS
I'm not middle class so don't try and talk down to me like I'm some trust fund ****.

I don't feel like I did, but you certainly insinuated that I must be an ignorant, illiterate chav with high cholesterol...
What is the difference between your "working class" humour and their "middle class" humour?
Yeah, I guess you're right. Most of the time I dont get worked up on it. I just sometimes feel disappointed that Uni isnt what I expected it to be. I feel out of my comfort zone and although I tried at first, I have given up trying to talk to all different types of people. I would feel insulted if someone said "do you say it the chavvy way"! The word "chavvy" pisses me off. You should try and pick up on something that they say differently and be like psht wtf, why are you saying it like that lol

It annoys me too, although I've never been called a chav (I guess I speak quite "posh" for the stereotype of someone who lives in the Midlands)... but I know where you're coming from.
I wanted to ask if any other Working Class students feel this way.

So i'm a couple of months into Uni. Everyone always talks about the different people you meet and the unlikely friendships you make. I come from a working class background and the majority of my life have been around people like me. Put it this way, about 90 percent of people at my Sixth form recieved EMA. Now I've come to Uni and most people seem to be middle class. I had no problem with this and was looking forward to meeting people of all different backgrounds.
The thing is that I feel out of place at times. The only friends I have are like me. When I talk to people I feel like I have to walk on eggshells. I dont feel like I can relate to people as they seem to be so different. I cant understand their sense of humour and they cant understand mine. I feel like I have to change the way I talk and hold back on any opinions. I don't really want to change who I am to impress other people. I am glad I have made a few friends but I dont want to limit myself to a small group. At the same time, I find it difficult talking to alot of the other people. I am not shy and have always been quite outgoing and relatively popular. I feel like people at Uni look down on me. I've had comments like "you have a ghetto accent" :s-smilie: Or people taking the piss by finishing a sentence with "init". I don't even use much slang at all btw. I can take harmless jokes but it feels like I am judged and i just can't get along with them unless I change. I feel like I have to fake laugh and think before I say anything at all.

I get the odd comment about my working class background but we take it all in good humour. At my uni most people are from the North like me and from working class backgrounds so it's the middle class that stick out more!

You don't have to change yourself to fit in, you be who you are. The people who look down on you have the problem not you. If you're accepting of people from a range of backgrounds it's really not your problem if someone takes issue with you.
I don't feel like I did, but you certainly insinuated that I must be an ignorant, illiterate chav with high cholesterol...

Bruv if you want to read that from what I said then that's your perogative but it's not what I meant and you look like a speng getting a chip on your shoulder over something which hasn't even been said.
Reply 36

Well, presumably you'd be less likely to wear branded clothes due to the expense of it.

Well if your both at the same uni, why would you be less literate. If you grew up in a mixed area, then you are different from most people as it's a fact that cheaper housing tends to be together and more expensive housing tends to be together, meaning you grow up with people from similar backgrounds from you. Also, there's the influence of family, and the way your family talk influences you.

Maybe more that you'd be more likely to shop at tesco/asda/aldi and they'd be more likely to shop at waitrose/m&s/sainsburys?

When your from a working class family you are more likely to eat convenience food than those who have more time on their hands because of busy lifestyles, especially of working mothers.

And just to add, I never said that at all, you, yet again, completely misunderstood me. The point I was making was I chose not to limit myself to class stereotypes and generalizations. If someone were to ask me what my class is, I wouldn't answer them.
I'd happily say what occupation band I am in, but I would never give an answer as to what social class I am.

It's just a fact that middle class and working class lifestyles tend to be different and tend to be observable. Money is observable, as is the lack of it.
Reply 37
I wanted to ask if any other Working Class students feel this way.

So i'm a couple of months into Uni. Everyone always talks about the different people you meet and the unlikely friendships you make. I come from a working class background and the majority of my life have been around people like me. Put it this way, about 90 percent of people at my Sixth form recieved EMA. Now I've come to Uni and most people seem to be middle class. I had no problem with this and was looking forward to meeting people of all different backgrounds.
The thing is that I feel out of place at times. The only friends I have are like me. When I talk to people I feel like I have to walk on eggshells. I dont feel like I can relate to people as they seem to be so different. I cant understand their sense of humour and they cant understand mine. I feel like I have to change the way I talk and hold back on any opinions. I don't really want to change who I am to impress other people. I am glad I have made a few friends but I dont want to limit myself to a small group. At the same time, I find it difficult talking to alot of the other people. I am not shy and have always been quite outgoing and relatively popular. I feel like people at Uni look down on me. I've had comments like "you have a ghetto accent" :s-smilie: Or people taking the piss by finishing a sentence with "init". I don't even use much slang at all btw. I can take harmless jokes but it feels like I am judged and i just can't get along with them unless I change. I feel like I have to fake laugh and think before I say anything at all.

Same though I'm middle middle class I've always hung with people from lower classes than me, I find them a lot more laid-back and worldly and interesting. At uni you're right, it's a good Russell Group I go to and they're mostly upper middle class and I've got no idea what to do. I definitely agree with you on the holding back from opinions and different humour sort of front, I try to talk about something people from home would instantly engage with and it's blank looks.

Go to the ex-poly down the road though, and it's all people I can relate to, with like real emotions and stuff.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JCC-MGS
Bruv if you want to read that from what I said then that's your perogative but it's not what I meant and you look like a speng getting a chip on your shoulder over something which hasn't even been said.

It was very blatant and couldn't be mistaken in any other way so don't go down that route. It's annoying when people make blatant insinuations then step back and say 'woah you thought of it like that, I didn't say it'
You knew what you meant.

And I haven't got a chip on my shoulder, your initial response to a post I made in this thread wasn't particularly nice, nor have your subsequent ones, so I'm just responding to that.
It was very blatant and couldn't be mistaken in any other way so don't go down that route. It's annoying when people make blatant insinuations then step back and say 'woah you thought of it like that, I didn't say it'
You knew what you meant.

And I haven't got a chip on my shoulder, your initial response to a post I made in this thread wasn't particularly nice, nor have your subsequent ones, so I'm just responding to that.

It has nothing to do with being an illiterate ignorant chav, because I am almost ****ing certain that I fulfil that I am closer to that stereotype than you. You are delusional if you think that knowing what humus is throws a spanner in the works of the idea that class influences lifestyle. Don't kid yourself. "Class influences lifestyle" is such a simple and self-evident notion that I can't comprehend the fact that you're even getting pissy over it. Your dress sense is influenced by your class. I'm not sitting here in trackies because my parents raised me to believe that they are the apex of design, I wear them because they are cheap and because certain cultural factors mean that where I am from, people do. Even if I wanted to dress in a more extravagant or 'middle class' way, wealth would preclude me, and all of the 'nice' clothes I have I bought on eBay for like £6. Class and locality. I don't know about you but when I am talking to people the conversation generally goes something like 'safe man what you saying, yeah everything's bless mate, you going pub? Sound'. Class and locality. I've been vegan for a few years so this don't really apply as much but when I was growing up it was packet food and value tins. Something tells me the Bullingdon Club don't meet once a week to eat ****ing spaghetti hoops, and my knowledge of fine dining extends about as far as going to Bank once and thinking about how much I'd like to leave. Clas and locality. It doesn't matter how many Dostoevsky novels I read or how many Mozart compositions I listen to, where I'm from will always be part of me. You'll be better off the sooner you come to terms with it.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending