The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by DreamKitty

finding the reduced food stuff (short life) tends to happen nearer the stores closing time, probably within the final 3 hours of trading just to shift the stuff that are best before dated for that day, you will find these in the fresh/produce reductions well. as you are an online shopper, your shifts are at the start of the day so you probably won't find anything.
of course there are reduced long life stuff too, like a mis-match bag of pop, battered cereal box etc or if they are due to go past best before date. you find them in the grocery reductions bit (if they have one, looks proper tacky) or they just put them infront of the full price stuff.

other than those, you won't be able to purchase anything that has gone passed it's sell by or use by date, even if you are happy to pay for them at 500 times the price, think best befores are only a guide but they still don't sell anything past the best before too.

I would stick with your current contract for maybes 3 months before looking to switch departments, about requesting increased hours, they probably don't have the permanent hours to give you but they probably will have overtime hours, so you could say you are avavilable for overtime.

general assistants are those on the shopfloor, so you could be on fresh, produce, gm, clothing, grocery, cafe, counters (and admin?).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 761
The company average target is 17 IPM. But yes, it can depend region to region, store to store.

I'd be very surprised if anybody within their first 3 months is expected to do more than 20 per minute; the "scan and pack" technique makes it quite difficult to achieve an IPM of 20 or more. How some of you manage 24+, I'll never know :P
Reply 762
Original post by FXX
What exactly is the question? :tongue: By law, they can't sell anything past its sell by date. I think there's a potential fine of £5000 for every item found on the shop floor that is past its date. Stuff that is close to going out of date will probably be reduced, and you can identify them by the yellow sticker on the front.

Yes, sell by date is definitive - if it says sell by date on it, it comes off the shelves when that day has ended.

On long life bakery, which has a "display until" date, you can lawfully continue selling your products after the date.
sai
Original post by mug51
finding the reduced food stuff (short life) tends to happen nearer the stores closing time, probably within the final 3 hours of trading just to shift the stuff that are best before dated for that day, you will find these in the fresh/produce reductions well. as you are an online shopper, your shifts are at the start of the day so you probably won't find anything.
of course there are reduced long life stuff too, like a mis-match bag of pop, battered cereal box etc or if they are due to go past best before date. you find them in the grocery reductions bit (if they have one, looks proper tacky) or they just put them infront of the full price stuff.

other than those, you won't be able to purchase anything that has gone passed it's sell by or use by date, even if you are happy to pay for them at 500 times the price, think best befores are only a guide but they still don't sell anything past the best before too.

I would stick with your current contract for maybes 3 months before looking to switch departments, about requesting increased hours, they probably don't have the permanent hours to give you but they probably will have overtime hours, so you could say you are avavilable for overtime.

general assistants are those on the shopfloor, so you could be on fresh, produce, gm, clothing, grocery, cafe, counters (and admin?).

Thank you for the information, this was helpful. My sister said her friend works 6-10PM so it all makes sense. I think it is a excellent offer and I don't want to miss it good for Students as well to get reduced price items. I would like to get food from the fresh produce, like fruit/veg, meat section since I always make my food from scratch. Do you think I could ask them if I go to them nearer the store's closing time? I probally sound desperate but the store is only 5 mins away, if it was a long distance then I wouldn't go.
If it's not possible I can take this opportunity at overtime probally.

Also Ive decided that Im just going to take it slow and do my hours and like everyone said just wait till the probotionary period.

Im just too keen & curious to try out all these offers that Sainsburys ha before ive even started lol such as SSA, discount card, overtime etc
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 764
Had my first day of training today and it is really full on, there is a lot to learn but it is straightforward but just quite a lot!
There are 3 other people along with me working on checkouts, they seem nice. Would i interact with staff much working on checkouts? I have 4 shifts that are 4 hour long.

More induction tomorrow and then next week I have my till training, not sure when I will will properly start my shift but i will assume its soon.

I have also been asked to do some trolley work, what does this involve? Im not sure.

The place seems ok but I am nervous when i eventually get onto the checkouts, just want to do a good job :smile:
Reply 765
Original post by RJ100
Had my first day of training today and it is really full on, there is a lot to learn but it is straightforward but just quite a lot!
There are 3 other people along with me working on checkouts, they seem nice. Would i interact with staff much working on checkouts? I have 4 shifts that are 4 hour long.

More induction tomorrow and then next week I have my till training, not sure when I will will properly start my shift but i will assume its soon.

I have also been asked to do some trolley work, what does this involve? Im not sure.

The place seems ok but I am nervous when i eventually get onto the checkouts, just want to do a good job :smile:

How much interaction would depend what hours you're working. As you're only doing four hour shifts you aren't entitled to a break, so you wouldn't see people there. But if you're working during quieter periods you might spend some time working on the shop floor, where you'll get to talk to them.

Trolley work is being out in the car park in all weathers, collecting trolleys and putting them in the storage areas.
Can anybody tell whether the one month that you need to give if you resign includes holidays that you have booked off or not?
Reply 767
Original post by FutureMillionaire
Can anybody tell whether the one month that you need to give if you resign includes holidays that you have booked off or not?

Yes it does. Just be careful not to leave yourself taking more holiday than you've earned in the year though, otherwise you'll have to pay some money back.
I got till trained today, avoided it for 3 years so far! It's supposed to take 16 hours but I only did 2 hours then had to cover lunches. Piss easy job
Original post by FXX
Yes it does. Just be careful not to leave yourself taking more holiday than you've earned in the year though, otherwise you'll have to pay some money back.

But then how would I know how much holiday I've earned so far? Would I have to ask them?
Reply 770
I've got a interview with Sainsburys on Tuesday for a checkout position, can anyone give me any tips?

Also, does the uniform come with a long sleeve option?

Do they actually check references?

What are they looking for at an interview?

Thanks in advance
Reply 771
Original post by FutureMillionaire
But then how would I know how much holiday I've earned so far? Would I have to ask them?

It's calculated pro-rata, so divide your allowance into 13 periods and work it out that way :smile:
Original post by FXX
It's calculated pro-rata, so divide your allowance into 13 periods and work it out that way :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 773
Original post by tif49
I've got a interview with Sainsburys on Tuesday for a checkout position, can anyone give me any tips?

Also, does the uniform come with a long sleeve option?

Do they actually check references?

What are they looking for at an interview?

Thanks in advance

Hi There,

I have recently been offered a job on checkouts and have my till training next week.

The interview is a test which compromises of 4 different parts, the TSR Sainsburys recruitment page is very useful and provides lot of information. Its very basic and straightforward.
Once you have done that you will either have a 1-2-1 interview with the department manager straight after the test or on another day if you pass the test. In the 1-2-1 they will ask you a few questions such as what do you think this job involves, why do you want to work here etc. Again pretty straightforward, they will mainly go through the requirements of the job, such as hours worked, what the work involves eg challenge 25 and they might ask your uniform size.
If you are successful then you will get the job, its straightforward as i said, mainly common sense, keep focused and you will do fine.
The TSR sainsburys recruitment page is actually really useful for interview at Sainsburys.
Good luck! :smile:

PS: with regard to references I am not sure, I need to find out the answer to that myself!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 774
Original post by daveriley
I got till trained today, avoided it for 3 years so far! It's supposed to take 16 hours but I only did 2 hours then had to cover lunches. Piss easy job

What do you have to learn on the tills, got my training next week and I am so nervous! Really dont want to mess up:frown:
Yay! I got the job as General Assistant at Sainsbury's Local :biggrin: Even though I'm jetting off to China for 2.5 weeks on March 31st! So glad it didn't stop me getting the job :smile:

The hours are a bit dodgy though - 6-10am every weekday - eep!
Hey guys. So a little update, I have done 2 days of work as a Online Shopper. I have a question.

1. Is there a set time where you have to complete the shopping by? how do I know when the delivery van arrives?

Because ive seen some people finish their online shopping at lightening speed and I am worried because I feel like a slow coach. Do you have to complete the shopping at very fast pace?
Reply 777
Original post by DreamKitty
Hey guys. So a little update, I have done 2 days of work as a Online Shopper. I have a question.

1. Is there a set time where you have to complete the shopping by? how do I know when the delivery van arrives?

Because ive seen some people finish their online shopping at lightening speed and I am worried because I feel like a slow coach. Do you have to complete the shopping at very fast pace?

You should have been told about the times shoppers have to work to :tongue: It's 37 MPO (minutes per order), or to put it another way, one item every 37 seconds, with 19 seconds to and from the online office between shops. Obviously that's only when you're up to speed though, and that's why there's a 12 week probationary period, though if you only do a small number of hours, you'll have more time to get up to speed. You won't get into trouble unless you're regularly well off the mark, and you're seen chatting too often. The delivery van leaves at the time you write on the totes and usually goes to each drop in ascending order.
Just a quick question, hope someone knows the answer! We have been told we all have to attend a mandatory meeting, they've got cover for the store so we can all go. However, we have been told we have got to attend even if it's our day off...and it's unpaid! Is this legal? Surely they can't dictate what we do on a day off? Wouldn't mind if we got paid!
Reply 779
Original post by noseyparker
Just a quick question, hope someone knows the answer! We have been told we all have to attend a mandatory meeting, they've got cover for the store so we can all go. However, we have been told we have got to attend even if it's our day off...and it's unpaid! Is this legal? Surely they can't dictate what we do on a day off? Wouldn't mind if we got paid!

I wouldn't care if it was legal or not. If it's my day off and I'm not getting paid, I wouldn't go. In fact, we once had a meeting where we did get paid, but I didn't go.

If it's that important they will have it all typed up to hand out anyway :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending