The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meenglishnogood
Given that the arabic term 'Haram' is adopted in the terminology of most muslims to mean something 'bad' or prohibited in islam' how is it explained that there is also an accepted meaning of haram in arabic to mean islamically sacred.

Good question!

It's known as Masjid al-Haram because a number of things have been made forbidden there (due to its sanctity), such as fighting, hunting animals and cutting down plants.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
Yes.

Allah out of his mercy may choose to forgive a believer on the day of judgement.

Yes I've heard that to - but Allah is able to forgive anything if he wishes.

Well that's what I know hehe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Ankabout
That is an interesting question. :smile: According to the verse TMG quoted yes other major sins can be forgiven without repentance. However, Shirk without repentance can never be forgiven.

JazakAllahu khayran.

Alhamdulilah this uplifting.

May Allah forgive us all. Ameen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beautifulxxx
JazakAllahu khayran.

Alhamdulilah this uplifting.

May Allah forgive us all. Ameen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check out my edit.

And as always I may be wrong sis .

Allah knows best :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Okay. This has got me puzzling. Is the following two theological understanding correct?

1. Sins committed when you were a non Muslim can be forgiven by converting to Islam. But sins committed when you were a Muslim can be forgiven by repentance ONLY ( and if Allah wills)

2 Non Muslims will have their deeds rendered worthless. So a non muslim will go to hell. A Muslim who has good deeds greater than bad deeds will go to heaven directly. A Muslim who has bad deeds greater than good deeds will get punished in hell and then be sent to heaven.

Is the above two understanding correct? :confused:

Repentance is not necessary for anything other than kufr. Repentance does draw in the mercy and grace of Allah to forgive the sinner but it is not necessary. Allah could forgive as He wills and even Muslims who have not yet repented (before the angel of death appears or the sun rises from the west) could be saved by the greater intercession of our Prophet (SAL).

We are judged by faith firstly and then by works afaik. Faith guarantees you Paradise (even if you first have to spend some time in Hell before being cleansed through the lake of life) and work (the best of your good deeds) will elevate you in rank/dharaja.
(edited 9 years ago)
Okay. This has got me puzzling. Is the following two theological understanding correct?

1. Sins committed when you were a non Muslim can be forgiven by converting to Islam. But sins committed when you were a Muslim can be forgiven by repentance ONLY ( and if Allah wills)

2 Non Muslims will have their deeds rendered worthless. So a non muslim will go to hell. A Muslim who has good deeds greater than bad deeds will go to heaven directly. A Muslim who has bad deeds greater than good deeds will get punished in hell and then be sent to heaven.

When you say non-Muslims, it's worth differentiating between a disbeliever and a non-believer. Non-believers are not held accountable.
Original post by Ankabout
That is an interesting question. :smile: According to the verse TMG quoted yes other major sins can be forgiven without repentance. However, Shirk without repentance can never be forgiven.

إِنَّ اللَّهَ لَا يَغْفِرُ أَنْ يُشْرَكَ بِهِ وَيَغْفِرُ مَا دُونَ ذَٰلِكَ لِمَنْ يَشَاءُ ۚ وَمَنْ يُشْرِكْ بِاللَّهِ فَقَدِ افْتَرَىٰ إِثْمًا عَظِيمًا

Indeed, Allah does not forgive association with Him, but He forgives what is less than that for whom He wills. And he who associates others with Allah has certainly fabricated a tremendous sin. [Qur'an 4:48]

So if one dies in a state of shirk Allah will not forgive that sin - but he may forgive others that are less than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Sins committed when you were a non Muslim can be forgiven by converting to Islam. But sins committed when you were a Muslim can be forgiven by repentance ( and if Allah wills) but not by merely stating the shahadah.

Replace non-Muslim with disbeliever and looks right to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
A salaam alaikum

I was in Saudi Arabia and my Mum saw there was a vacant masjid that was closed off to the public she asked her friend why the masjid was vacant and had been shut down.

His reply was that this Masjid had and still is being occupied by jinns she seized to ask further questions but what I want to know does anyone know the name of this Masjid and are the stories true of Jinns having the power to take human form and that they can time travel and levitate and are invisible to the human eye.

And If so should we not be afriad of such super natural beings sharing the same planet with us.:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Why are you prohibited from eating or writing with your left hand
What if someone is amputed and can only use his/her left arm can he/she be excluded from the party
or is he/she still obliged to find someone to feed with the right hand.:biggrin:

Peace Out Dudes.:wink:
Original post by Lasagne92
A salaam alaikum

I was in Saudi Arabia and my Mum saw there was a vacant masjid that was closed off to the public she asked her friend why the masjid was vacant and had been shut down.

His reply was that this Masjid had and still is being occupied by jinns she seized to ask further questions but what I want to know does anyone know the name of this Masjid and are the stories true of Jinns having the power to take human form and that they can time travel and levitate and are invisible to the human eye.

And If so should we not be afriad of such super natural beings sharing the same planet with us.:smile:

Wa alaikum salam

Hmm where exactly is this masjid? Did she tell you where exactly this is.

No we shouldn't be afraid. We should take precautions but no more. Some jinns are good, some are bad. They don't have the power to physically harm someone. There are many ways how Muslims could protect themselves against jinns and against evil in general. We don't need to be afraid :lol:

They are invisible to the naked eye. They can't time travel lol. There are many kinds of Jinns. Some can fly, some can't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RoyalBlue7
Was alaikum salam

No we shouldn't be afraid. We should take precautions but no more. Some jinns are good, some are bad. They don't have the power to physically harm someone. There are many ways how Muslims could protect themselves against jinns and against evil in general. We don't need to be afraid :lol:

What is so funny Imagine if someone told you there was this super natural being similar to a deity but lives on earth with us how would you feel obviously you would be scared.

Secondly it was near Mecca somewhere I dont remember the exact location but I remeber my mums friend saying this was the masjid where the prophet would come and prostate and communicate with the Jinns don't know if this is 100% accurate so don't quote me it is just what I heard in Saudi Arabia.:tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RoyalBlue7
Wa alaikum salam

They are invisible to the naked eye. They can't time travel lol. There are many kinds of Jinns. Some can fly, some can't.

Further more as a child I have seen people being possessed by Jinns similar to the exorcist and this kept up at nights it even caused me to wet the bed a few times No Joke srs.:frown:
Why are you prohibited from eating or writing with your left hand
What if someone is amputed and can only use his/her left arm can he/she be excluded from the party
or is he/she still obliged to find someone to feed with the right hand.:biggrin:

Peace Out Dudes.:wink:

We are not prohibited. As far as I know it is not haram to eat with your left hand or write with your left hand. Using the right hand for certain stuff and the left hand for other certain stuff is just a Sunnah. There may or may not be obvious benefits
Why is it a sunnah to grow the beard is it because it shows your manliness:tongue:

Peace Dudes.:smile:
Why is it a sunnah to grow the beard is it because it shows your manliness:tongue:

Peace Dudes.:smile:

I don't think you can ask why something is a sunnah lol. That's rasullullah's sallallahu alayhi wasalam commads, hence we follow them and that's that. And yes, and beard is very manly. A lion without hair looks absurd. And a lion is a king:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think you can ask why something is a sunnah lol. That's rasullullah's sallallahu alayhi wasalam commads, hence we follow them and that's that. And yes, and beard is very manly. A lion without hair looks absurd. And a lion is a king:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the prophet trimmed the moustache yet grew the beard in an effort to differentiate the Muslims from the polytheists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I object!!!:hand:there must be a reason why the prophet grew his beard?:curious:

I'm starting to grow a stubble before I was clean shaven.:yes:
I don't think I could grow a beard maybe only a stubble.:tongue:
Original post by Nietzsche 246
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the prophet trimmed the moustache yet grew the beard in an effort to differentiate the Muslims from the polytheists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is correct:smile:
Though I'll have to check the "polytheist part.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
The word has a number of meanings in the Arabic language.

The context generally details the meaning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats not really an answer
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
Good question!

It's known as Masjid al-Haram because a number of things have been made forbidden there (due to its sanctity), such as fighting, hunting animals and cutting down plants.

interesting theory at least, though id say mostof those are also forbidden at the al-Nabawī in medina to

Latest

Trending

Trending