The Student Room Group

Accredited Computer Science courses.

Hi, I've applied for some courses which are not accredited (backup choices :P). Now I was wondering how important it is for them to be accredited. I know that the better courses but I'm more interested in future prospects. So ultimately;

Would I struggle to get a job as a Software engineer (for example) if I didn't take an accredited course? Or experiance more important? Or abit of both?

If I did choose to do a non accredited course, would I struggle to become chartered?

Thanks for any help :smile:)
(edited 12 years ago)
No one can help? :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by SilverTruthseeker
Hi, I've applied for some courses which are not accredited (backup choices :P). Now I was wondering how important it is for them to be accredited. I know that the better courses but I'm more interested in future prospects. So ultimately;

Would I struggle to get a job as a Software engineer (for example) if I didn't take an accredited course? Or experiance more important? Or abit of both?

If I did choose to do a non accredited course, would I struggle to become chartered?

Thanks for any help :smile:)

Nope, you won't struggle and it's probably your experience and expertise that will matter the most. They should all have the same essential course content anyway.

BCS is not worth being a member of, and IET doesn't (ac?)credit a lot of top courses (eg York, Southampton).

Hopefully you won't even need to worry about your backup choices :P
Original post by mailmerge
Nope, you won't struggle and it's probably your experience and expertise that will matter the most. They should all have the same essential course content anyway.

BCS is not worth being a member of, and IET doesn't (ac?)credit a lot of top courses (eg York, Southampton).

Hopefully you won't even need to worry about your backup choices :P

Thanks for the reply!! So you're saying that I would need to become chartered (or whatever) with the IET instead?

Yea hopefully I won't have to worry about the backups, but I like to plan ahead! :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply!! So you're saying that I would need to become chartered (or whatever) with the IET instead?

Yea hopefully I won't have to worry about the backups, but I like to plan ahead! :smile:

You should never *need* to become chartered. I think to be a qualified "Software Engineer", you have to go through BCS, but in terms of UK professional organisations, I'd join the IET.
Original post by mailmerge
You should never *need* to become chartered. I think to be a qualified "Software Engineer", you have to go through BCS, but in terms of UK professional organisations, I'd join the IET.

Thanks for the reply again!

So to clarify; Most jobs wouldn't require me being chartered with BCS or IET, so if I'm not chartered I'm not handicaping myself, but you recommend me joining the IET in general?

Like I said before I just want to know if I do have to go with my backup that I won't require doing abunch of extra exams and whatnot to become chartered because without it I can't find work or get stuck with the low jobs.

Thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it. :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks for the reply again!

So to clarify; Most jobs wouldn't require me being chartered with BCS or IET, so if I'm not chartered I'm not handicaping myself, but you recommend me joining the IET in general?

Like I said before I just want to know if I do have to go with my backup that I won't require doing abunch of extra exams and whatnot to become chartered because without it I can't find work or get stuck with the low jobs.

Thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it. :smile:

I haven't seen any graduate job descriptions that require you to be chartered, but I imagine it would be useful to have a network if you plan to take a management-type role eventually. I'm not a member of either any more (you have to pay), but it's something to consider when you get to uni (and there will be some faculty member at all unis that can give you actual advice on this).

Happy to help, and best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending