The Student Room Group

Best house/bass tracks of the year (Mixmag and Resident Advisor)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
This thread needs to be kept alive! Heard this on Ben UFOs show on rinse fm a while back. Loving the Mount Kimbie have ventured into the realm of house music and have released this track for free. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SfFInoSotg
Reply 581
Original post by JMitch3
This thread needs to be kept alive! Heard this on Ben UFOs show on rinse fm a while back. Loving the Mount Kimbie have ventured into the realm of house music and have released this track for free. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SfFInoSotg

Tune

Do you lock into hessle often?

The shed guest show the other week was on point
Reply 582
Original post by George_22
Tune

Do you lock into hessle often?

The shed guest show the other week was on point

I listen to pretty much anything on Rinse, if I'm doing any work I'll stick on a podcast.

This is also a beast! Love anything on the dirtybird label

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1_rNJgAJR4
Original post by JMitch3
I listen to pretty much anything on Rinse, if I'm doing any work I'll stick on a podcast.

This is also a beast! Love anything on the dirtybird label

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1_rNJgAJR4

Yeah that track is big, Justin Martin and Eats Everything dropped it recently and the place went off. Instantly you could tell it was going to be a big track. Dirtybird is huge atm, best label out there at this moment in time i think.

Two other really big recent releases!

Love this one too.

(edited 11 years ago)
Yousef - Beg (Hot Since 82 Future Remix)
Not sure if this qualifies but the Chemical Brothers remix of XTC by Boys Noize is a cracker
Pilotpriest - Nighthawks
Shadow Child - So High AND the Hot Since 82 remix of the same song
Alex Metric & Mark Yardley - Illium
Alex Metric - Scandalism (it's a bit french synth pop-y but I like it)
Lee Mortimer - Mammoth
Pyramid - Black Road
Suppose we can't leave out Chris Malinchak - So Good to Me and Leaving Tomorrow
Friendly Fires - Hurting (Tensnake Remix)
Vario Volinski - Falling In Love (Original Mix)
Justin Timberlake - Suit & Tie (Julio Bashmore Remix)
Amtrac - Those Days (Original Mix)
Rachel Row - Follow the Step (Kink Beat Mix)
Karmon - Wow****
Karmon - Solarbeam

Hope that helps
Reply 585
Huxley's new one, heard it on Jaymo and Andy George's EM from the other week which is well worth a listen, along with their new Moda Black comp.

Reply 586
Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike - Mammoth
Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike - Wakanda
Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike - Ocarina
W&W - The Code
NERVO - Were all no one
NERVO - Reason
Keane - Sovereign light cafe (Afrojack remix)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 587
I've just bought a midi controller and some studio monitors, had it about 3 days now, cant get off it. I'm going to record my first mix tonight. I'd love some feedback on my song choice. Finding it pretty hard to pick songs that melodically complement eachother.

1 - Lights Out (Original Mix) 7:08 George FitzGerald House 127
2 - Bubbler 7:16 Maya Jane Coles House 124
3 - Taxing My Soul (Bioground's Exquisite Dub) 8:48 Bioground feat. Karlyn Deep House 125
4 - Sunshine (Original Mix) 8:51 Waff Deep House 125
5 - Two shadows 6:25 De Sluwe Vos 123
6 - Flutes (Sasha Remix) 9:30 Hot Chip 126
7 - What I Might Do 6:30 Ben Pearce Deep House 122
8 - What I Never Knew 6:33 Dusky Aus Music 123
9 - Don't Go (Dusky Remix) 6:31 Justin Martin 123

I feel I might be losing the tone of the mix with songs 3 and 4, But then again I'm not 100% sure? Any thoughts?

All these are within key range, I'm predicting it to be just over 45 minutes. Can anyone who mixes give me any advice? I'll record my console and attach recorded audio so you can see how I'm transitioning everything.
Reply 588
Original post by Jono404
Huxley's new one, heard it on Jaymo and Andy George's EM from the other week which is well worth a listen, along with their new Moda Black comp.

Love the moda black label. I go to their nights whenever I can. I've seen Justin Martin, Shadow child and Hot Since 82 at their nights. Their night is part of the reason I started listing to house music.
Original post by JMitch3
I've just bought a midi controller and some studio monitors, had it about 3 days now, cant get off it. I'm going to record my first mix tonight. I'd love some feedback on my song choice. Finding it pretty hard to pick songs that melodically complement eachother.

3 - Taxing My Soul (Bioground's Exquisite Dub) 8:48 Bioground feat. Karlyn Deep House 125

I feel I might be losing the tone of the mix with songs 3 and 4, But then again I'm not 100% sure? Any thoughts?

All these are within key range, I'm predicting it to be just over 45 minutes. Can anyone who mixes give me any advice? I'll record my console and attach recorded audio so you can see how I'm transitioning everything.

If you've just got a controller then the most important thing is to learn how to DJ without looking at the screen ie beat matching and counting bars.

Tracklist looks good though, there are no rules, just mix what feels right :P
Reply 590
Original post by JMitch3
Love the moda black label. I go to their nights whenever I can. I've seen Justin Martin, Shadow child and Hot Since 82 at their nights. Their night is part of the reason I started listing to house music.

We had Hot Since 82 and Shadow Child play here (Cardiff) last month but I could only really do the one so I saw Shadow Child. Seeing Waze & Odyssey with Applebottom next week then Eats Everything, Bondax and T Williams among others in May.

Writing that's just reminded me to post this as well

Reply 591
Original post by SecondHand
If you've just got a controller then the most important thing is to learn how to DJ without looking at the screen ie beat matching and counting bars.

Yeah I've got counting beats and bars down and can beatmatch by ear as long as bpm's are synced. I haven't tried to beatmatch totally by ear yet. But I've only had the controller 3 days! Recording the set now. Will upload the results in a bit. In the mean time ....
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Ps3g0I2rLHA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPs3g0I2rLHA

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2mDfDcSjKY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQ2mDfDcSjKY
Original post by JMitch3
as long as bpm's are synced

This is the hardest bit :smile: Get practicing!! I will give your set a listen tomorrow.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JMitch3

Playlist is alright, however you'll find some songs sound better increased, for example Dusky songs tend to sound better at 125/6 bpm imo, so it's alright to keep them at that rate if you decide to have a 125/6 bpm track prior to them.

I find that MJC and Dusky tunes are the easiest to mix really, to be fair I hear Don't Go used within bare mixes though so I'd use a track like Tyto Alba instead. The bits within that mix that would give you the most problems would be Two Shadows into Flutes and What I Might Do into What I Never Knew, mainly as they are all quite different tracks and you'll probably find them harder to mix than some of the other ones you have on there. I don't really like pre-planned mixes, prefer to just do it as I go along, be sure to post it on here when you're done though.

Also wouldn't really say BPM syncing is the hardest part of mixing, mainly picking songs that compliment each other well, and choosing the correct time to actually mix songs in; whether that be for a double drop or a certain section/vocal to play at the same time as the other beat etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 594
Original post by SecondHand

Second this, I'd go as far to say if you're serious about it get some CDJs and learn it the old fashioned way, beatmatching manually and mixing without a screen is so much more fun, and even if you are mixing properly on a laptop people will moan you're using the sync button/not a proper dj etc. Used CDJ-200s can be picked up for around 200 quid a pair, and have everything you need (no vinyl mode, but I've always found stutter cueing to be more accurate anyway) and then you just need a 2 channel mixer and you're sorted.
Reply 595
Even CDJ's have keylock and can sync BPM's now. Although I would prefer CDJ's, I am a poor student and can't even afford CDJ-200s (£200 was the cost of my whole set up). I'm practising beat matching just by ear though! And i understand that this is hard but once it clicks ... its clicks. I defiantly agree that the hardest part is picking what to play and when. Only got my controller on tuesday, so I am still trying to get used to it! Just feel that getting feedback from my mix is the best approach to improve.

As for some of the set sounding better in different tempo's, I changed the pace of the set by adding a phaser in the breakdown of a track and very slightly changing the pitch, due to keylock you don't even notice once I turn the effect off. Or maybe you can .. let me know. Some parts are pretty rough, the first transition is BEYOND TERRIBLE I'll admit. I didn't want to re-record the set though as I wanted to be able to gauge my improvement in a months time or whatever. Also, I was messing around with hotcues a lot in this set as you might be able to tell by me bringing in some vocals at times where they are a little off beat. At one point both low frequency EQ's were off and pretty low, thought of doing it to see how it sounded back, not sure how it went down, let me know.

Keep in mind that I've only been mixing for 3 days and the reason for this planned mix is that i wanted to explore how to mix progressively in key. I agree, i have more fun with unplanned mixes but it is annoying when something just mixes perfectly and you have no idea how it happened. Maybe remembering and recognising come with experience and practise.

Final note, some awful clicking appeared whilst playing back two shadows and when I realised i tried to mix out the song as quick as possible, yet another terrible transition ... have no idea what the click was? Appreciate the feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKIAwgdqgUM&feature=youtu.be
Reply 596
Just realised two shadows is ripped at 128kbps, i asked my friend who I got the track off why it sounded bad, he said he ripped it from soundcloud ... hence the poor sound ... lesson to everyone, don't be tight and buy off beatport or traxsource. Respect artists and quality.
Reply 597
Original post by JMitch3
Even CDJ's have keylock and can sync BPM's now. Although I would prefer CDJ's, I am a poor student and can't even afford CDJ-200s (£200 was the cost of my whole set up). I'm practising beat matching just by ear though! And i understand that this is hard but once it clicks ... its clicks. I defiantly agree that the hardest part is picking what to play and when. Only got my controller on tuesday, so I am still trying to get used to it! Just feel that getting feedback from my mix is the best approach to improve.

As for some of the set sounding better in different tempo's, I changed the pace of the set by adding a phaser in the breakdown of a track and very slightly changing the pitch, due to keylock you don't even notice once I turn the effect off. Or maybe you can .. let me know. Some parts are pretty rough, the first transition is BEYOND TERRIBLE I'll admit. I didn't want to re-record the set though as I wanted to be able to gauge my improvement in a months time or whatever. Also, I was messing around with hotcues a lot in this set as you might be able to tell by me bringing in some vocals at times where they are a little off beat. At one point both low frequency EQ's were off and pretty low, thought of doing it to see how it sounded back, not sure how it went down, let me know.

Keep in mind that I've only been mixing for 3 days and the reason for this planned mix is that i wanted to explore how to mix progressively in key. I agree, i have more fun with unplanned mixes but it is annoying when something just mixes perfectly and you have no idea how it happened. Maybe remembering and recognising come with experience and practise.

Final note, some awful clicking appeared whilst playing back two shadows and when I realised i tried to mix out the song as quick as possible, yet another terrible transition ... have no idea what the click was? Appreciate the feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKIAwgdqgUM&feature=youtu.be

Yeah this is my ghetto student setup at uni, USB rack player and numark DXM01 digital mixer, and an ironing board hahah.

I actually prefer the player to the more expensive (at the time) Numark Axis decks I have at home which I've had since about 2006, as the pitch resolution goes down to 0.01, which I believe is actually lower than pioneers go. I'd love to be able to mix vinyl but it's just too expensive to keep up to date with tracks.

A tip for beatmatching, if you're in the 120-130 bpm range 1 bpm corresponds to a change of around 0.8 percent, so work in multiples of 0.8 then fine tune from there.
Original post by JMitch3
Just realised two shadows is ripped at 128kbps, i asked my friend who I got the track off why it sounded bad, he said he ripped it from soundcloud ... hence the poor sound ... lesson to everyone, don't be tight and buy off beatport or traxsource. Respect artists and quality.

I'll listen to your mix now and leave feedback in an hour, also none of my tunes are below 320kbs, the best site to use is Muzon to download 320s of house/bass/electronic, you should always check in iTunes anyway. I can send you Two Shadows anyway if you wish:

I've also just listened to the mix, enjoyed the first half but I have to admit the mixing got a bit dodgy from Two Shadows to What I Might Do just as I had predicted. The main reasoning being you picked quite different songs to try and mix, therefore resulting in clashes of vocals/beats. You also need to remember to completely cancel the sound of the previous track when it reaches the drop/main point in the newest one, an example of that was at 40:55 on Don't Go, where you can use the drop of Don't Go to mute What I Never Knew, therefore you don't have the unnecessary background noise after it's playing. Not bad for a first attempt though, you'll soon improve.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 599
New MODA compilation dropped today! Whole album is incredible. http://www.beatport.com/release/moda-black-vol-ii-mixed-by-jaymo-and-andy-george/1050208 Also new tracks from Him Self Her http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsCnYvQO0Oo - found some tunes today!

Quick Reply

Latest