The Student Room Group

Is it wrong of my to change courses to have a lower workload and more free time?

Hi all,
I'm a first year CS student in my first semester and I am stressed out over the amount of work they are making me do up to the point of depression, isolation and lack of sleep due to either studying or working with not much in between. Stopped spending time with friends and family, stopped working out, lost the ability to think as my brain feels very overloaded with information.

I am neutral about CS and coding which the intense work is not turning for the better. I am constantly stopping myself to assess if I'm doing the right thing studying otherwise I go full depressed with no joy in my life at all whatsoever so I'm running in autopilot mode now. I have been doing my coursework every single day for the past I cant even track time how long, my eyes are constantly red and my back is starting to bend like a hook. Barely eating or leaving the house, even though I was going to places throughout the whole of summer doing many interesting thigs being open to the world and now I'm back living my lonely life again.

I'm thinking about changing to an easier degree such as Business Management with or without finance to be able to breathe and have some time and fun for myself and my friends and family. Any suggestions or ideas on what I should do? Would it be a mistake to change?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,
I'm a first year CS student in my first semester and I am stressed out over the amount of work they are making me do up to the point of depression, isolation and lack of sleep due to either studying or working with not much in between. Stopped spending time with friends and family, stopped working out, lost the ability to think as my brain feels very overloaded with information.

I am neutral about CS and coding which the intense work is not turning for the better. I am constantly stopping myself to assess if I'm doing the right thing studying otherwise I go full depressed with no joy in my life at all whatsoever so I'm running in autopilot mode now. I have been doing my coursework every single day for the past I cant even track time how long, my eyes are constantly red and my back is starting to bend like a hook. Barely eating or leaving the house, even though I was going to places throughout the whole of summer doing many interesting thigs being open to the world and now I'm back living my lonely life again.

I'm thinking about changing to an easier degree such as Business Management with or without finance to be able to breathe and have some time and fun for myself and my friends and family. Any suggestions or ideas on what I should do? Would it be a mistake to change?

Hello there,

I'm sorry you're feeling this way :frown: If I were you, my first port of call would be your personal tutor (or academic advisor or any other name it might have in your uni) and see what they think. Some degrees are busier than others but if you feel this way, there might be a time management problem or something you're not doing quite right...

... or maybe computer science is not for you and that's why you fail to motivate yourself and so it takes you forever to do the work? If that's the case, I'd advise against switching to another degree (they probably won't let you at this stage in the academic year anyway, too much catch-up work to do) just because you think it will be easier or less time-consuming overall. I'd suggest you actually give some thought as to what you might like to do at university and start from scratch next September. But again, speak with your personal tutor as a matter of urgency - first thing you need to do when you read this is to write them an email requesting to talk with them ASAP. They'll be able to guide you to the right people and services to help you with your next steps.
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hello there,

I'm sorry you're feeling this way :frown: If I were you, my first port of call would be your personal tutor (or academic advisor or any other name it might have in your uni) and see what they think. Some degrees are busier than others but if you feel this way, there might be a time management problem or something you're not doing quite right...

... or maybe computer science is not for you and that's why you fail to motivate yourself and so it takes you forever to do the work? If that's the case, I'd advise against switching to another degree (they probably won't let you at this stage in the academic year anyway, too much catch-up work to do) just because you think it will be easier or less time-consuming overall. I'd suggest you actually give some thought as to what you might like to do at university and start from scratch next September. But again, speak with your personal tutor as a matter of urgency - first thing you need to do when you read this is to write them an email requesting to talk with them ASAP. They'll be able to guide you to the right people and services to help you with your next steps.

Thanks for your comment, I have got 60-80% on my exams so far and did quite allright to pass my units and not struggling study capacity wise but its either sacrificing my study perfomance or happiness as I would want to spend quite a bit of time with my thoughts and my studies take up the majority of it right now. As I said I just set my mind on getting a degree and I do not know what I want with my life. CS is way better than business careeerwise but idk what I want to do with my life and never really had the time to figure it out and I can do CS but it would might be a miserable 3 years. So Im in a limbo on what to do at the end of the year feeling like I need to figure that out before doing anything else, like Im stuck with this and cant move on with this question and when I convince myself that I will finish CS and think of the work I have to do and I just twist myself back to the question and I dont feel so sure anymore about it.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thanks for your comment, I have got 60-80% on my exams so far and did quite allright to pass my units and not struggling study capacity wise but its either sacrificing my study perfomance or happiness as I would want to spend quite a bit of time with my thoughts and my studies take up the majority of it right now. As I said I just set my mind on getting a degree and I do not know what I want with my life. CS is way better than business careeerwise but idk what I want to do with my life and never really had the time to figure it out and I can do CS but it would might be a miserable 3 years. So Im in a limbo on what to do at the end of the year feeling like I need to figure that out before doing anything else, like Im stuck with this and cant move on with this question and when I convince myself that I will finish CS and think of the work I have to do and I just twist myself back to the question and I dont feel so sure anymore about it.

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling. It does sound like seeking support, either from an academic advisor/tutor or your student wellbeing service should be priority right now.

Do you have any friends/family you can talk to about this? Or if so, what have they suggested?

Switching degrees is definitely an option but do seek advice from someone at your university to understand the process. Look at other degree options and which ones you actually enjoy. Whilst I can see you are doing really well academically, your uni degree is more than that. Ontop of this, your experience at uni is not just about grades.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best.

Alia
University of Kent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending