The Student Room Group

Celebrities and their interesting degrees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Picnic1
It seems bizarre to me that people would find it more extraordinary that a relatively talented person with the ambition to become famous has got a degree than they would that any anonmyous person on here does.

It's funny or shockIng because you see the person on TV or whatever, youget lost in their jokes and atmosphere

Harry Hill is just ridiculously funny, he's a qualified doctor :L

It doesn't make it extraordinary, just "funny"
Christopher Hitchens got a 3rd.

Just goes to show...
Reply 202
I already knew about Harry Hill and Emeli Sande being med graduates. I wasn't so surprised about Harry Hill but I was really shocked about Emeli Sande.
Howard Marks - several degrees, two from Oxford.

Warren Mitchell (Alf Garnett) - Physics at Oxford (didn't complete)
Nicky Wire (Manic Street Preachers bassist) - a 2:2 in Politics from Swansea

You'd never know though - he never ever mentions it in interviews. It was in fact a well kept secret until just now, when I made this post.
(edited 12 years ago)
Not sure these have been mentioned yet!

Edward Norton: History at Yale
James Franco: English at Yale
Ashton Kutcher: Biomedical Engineering at Iowa
Kate Beckinsale: French and Russian Literature at Oxford
Tommy Lee Jones: English at Harvard
Brad Pitt: Journalism at Missouri
Reply 206
Original post by T-Toe
Well I can imagine an acceptance into Oxbridge wasn't as relentless as it is now.

A lot of them walked into Oxbridge with substandard O levels/A-levels.

Edit: I actually lol'd at the neg rep, this isn't a dig at anyone. It's just facts. I'm sorry I've insulted your precious comedians. I'm not saying they're any less deserving than those who get into Oxbridge now, however I'm simply highlighting that people should not be so surprised that so many older celebs got into Oxbridge. It was easier to get into top unis then than now. Common sense.

This is true, I don't know why people are negging you.
my Mum studied natural science at Cambridge with CCD at A level, she most probably was offered a place because at the time (1975) they were under pressure to admit more female students for science degrees.

they didn't even have entry requirements back then, and so few people applied that the level of success was very high.
Reply 207
Original post by Nucleolus
He also studied at Colombia University's Graduate School, so he's studied at two Ivy League Universities...

pretty sure he lectures at NYU now too. and recently I think he guest lectured at Stanford and other places
Original post by Foxydelic54
Kate Beckinsale - French and Russian Literature at Oxford.

Haha my ancient grammar tutor taught her when she was a student. She didn't actually finish, my tutor was talking to us about the many former students who went on to act and she grumbled, "She was such a nice girl. Went on to do something with vampires" I don't think she appreciated Van Helsing :biggrin:
Reply 209
Skandar Keynes (Edmund from Narnia) - Arabic and Middle Eastern History at Pembroke College, Cambridge
Original post by Craig_D
Quite a few people have been repeated a few times times so I'll try to think of some which I haven't seen come up yet:

Ricky Gervais - Philosophy, UCL.
Pete Doherty - English Literature, Queen Mary (dropped out).
Prince Charles - Archaeology, Anthropology and History, Trinity, Cambridge
Michael McIntyre - Famously cannot remember whether he studied Chemistry or Biology, Edinburgh (dropped out).
Arnold Schwarzenegger - Business and International Economics, University of Wisconsin–Superior.

Edit: Damn, Gervais is now in the post above. :erm:

A punting guide in Cambridge told us that, as he was with Prince Charles all the time, Charles' bodyguard was allowed to take the exams too, and actually got a higher pass than the heir to the throne!!! I'm not sure how true this is, but it's quite fun!!!!
Kourtney Kardashian - University of Arizona (not a great school), degree in Theatre Arts and a minor in Spanish/Hispanic Studies
Rob Kardashian - University of Southern California (a very well regarded university)'s Marshall School of Business, degree in Business

:eek: :eek3:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by soya salami
really? seeing as he went to a £10,000 a term school and comes from a filthy rich upper class family its not that surprising, in fact he seems like just the type!

He does not look posh at all :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending