The Student Room Group

Entry without maths? (Psychology)

Are there any universities that do not require maths when applying to a psychology course?
Especially when I'm doing a BA or MA(in Scotland).
The only unis that don't seem to have preferences of subjects are Glasgow and St.Andrews. But I'm also not so sure of that too.
I'm from Europe, so I have to take 5 exams to graduate from high school. I am quite capable in maths, but not that good to get a really good result, so I really don't want to take an exam in it. But will it zero all my chances to get in a university?
technically, yes there are. but in reality? it's hard to say.
what universities are you aiming for? because all top uni psychology courses will want to see that you've done maths as far as i'm aware.

and this i know because i really really wanted to apply to study psychology, but settled for another subject as i'm terrible at maths.
a university not listing preferred subjects is not an invitation to apply any way you want, i think. it means they'll consider your application, but some backgrounds are more suitable and hence more likely to be offered a place at the institution. there has to be a reason so many unis want you to have taken maths! :frown:
Your best bet is to contact the admissions department of the universities you want to apply to. Some universities only ask for a pass in maths at a basic level and don't state a minimum grade (e.g. at Napier & QMU in Edinburgh, only a pass in Maths at Standard Grade/GCSE/Int 2 level is needed) so there are still options if you didn't do as well as you'd hoped to in the exam.

I'm not exactly sure how it works with non-UK qualifications though so definitely try asking admissions whether they'd consider your application without a maths qualification and if not, which grade you'd need to meet their entry requirements. I think most unis will want a qualification in maths though.
Reply 3
Most state GCSE C is required. Higher end institutes will expect GCSE B grade. Provided you have some means to prove that you can handle standard GCSE level maths (or a similar qualification you may have taken at age 14-16), then that requirement should be filled.

Admissions tutors will be able to tell you exactly what they'd expect you to have, phone them up or email them, good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ziziii
technically, yes there are. but in reality? it's hard to say.
what universities are you aiming for? because all top uni psychology courses will want to see that you've done maths as far as i'm aware.

and this i know because i really really wanted to apply to study psychology, but settled for another subject as i'm terrible at maths.
a university not listing preferred subjects is not an invitation to apply any way you want, i think. it means they'll consider your application, but some backgrounds are more suitable and hence more likely to be offered a place at the institution. there has to be a reason so many unis want you to have taken maths! :frown:

that's not really true at all!!! Im at a top-5 psychology uni in the UK and my friend doesn't have maths... He has it at GCSE i mean but not a A Level!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by iammichealjackson
that's not really true at all!!! Im at a top-5 psychology uni in the UK and my friend doesn't have maths... He has it at GCSE i mean but not a A Level!
i didn't say anything very deep, my point was that it's usually recommended to have a background in maths. of course more so for a field like psychiatry than psychology but many unis want it nonetheless. this i found out by directly contacting unis, because i had to make a choice for myself too!

i don't know much about a-levels though, as i'm an ib student with igcse's as well.
Original post by ziziii
i didn't say anything very deep, my point was that it's usually recommended to have a background in maths. of course more so for a field like psychiatry than psychology but many unis want it nonetheless. this i found out by directly contacting unis, because i had to make a choice for myself too!

i don't know much about a-levels though, as i'm an ib student with igcse's as well.

Erm? You can go to any university in this country for psychology (which is what the thread is about) and not have maths. It would be useful, however so would biology, chemistry or psychology... however the first year of psychology really starts at the basics anyway.

Its useful and it may increase your chances of being accepted but its by no means essential!
(edited 12 years ago)
Erm? I do understand what this thread is about, but thanks for the reminder.

It would be useful, however so would biology, chemistry or psychology... however the first year of psychology really starts at the basics anyway.

Its useful and it may increase your chances of being accepted but its by no means essential!
Exactly my point, your words. At no point did I say it was 'essential', just that it's an advantage and many universities like to see it. Perhaps you ought to read my first reply, which started with something like
Original post by ziziii
technically, yes there are.

Have I said anything wrong?
Original post by ziziii
Erm? I do understand what this thread is about, but thanks for the reminder.

Exactly my point, your words. At no point did I say it was 'essential', just that it's an advantage and many universities like to see it. Perhaps you ought to read my first reply, which started with something like
Have I said anything wrong?

I just wanted to stress how bad that advice is in my opinion, and it would be good to see what other people think. I mean, at most 1/3 or 1/4 of your first year will be research methods which will involve statistics. You don't get your degree classification in this year anyway... and unless your terrible at maths you can normally pass in it. If getting a B in GCSE maths is hard for you then maybe you'll find it difficult... but if your okay then you should be fine!

Original post by ziziii
because all top uni psychology courses will want to see that you've done maths as far as i'm aware.

I mean seriously, I wouldn't NOT do psychology at degree level for not being excellent at maths- many other skills are more important for doing well. I have a friend who doesn't like maths (and didn't take it at A Level) and he's doing it at Cambridge with me. When i visited oxford/york there were students there who never took maths A Level either!
(edited 12 years ago)
I just wanted to stress how bad that advice is in my opinion, and it would be good to see what other people think.
i'm just sharing my opinion on a forum, man. i'm open to any ideas, especially from people with any personal experience in a field, as is the case here for you. still, many things said here are subjective so be careful of your approach when you call out one person for something they've said.

I mean seriously, I wouldn't NOT do psychology at degree level for not being excellent at maths- many other skills are more important for doing well. I have a friend who doesn't like maths (and didn't take it at A Level) and he's doing it at Cambridge with me. When i visited oxford/york there were students there who never took maths A Level either!
yea, i see what you mean. although maths was a reason for me, it was in no way my primary motive to deselect psychology. are you studying psychology at Cambridge too, or another course? my mother did the same course, and what i heard from her was what initially sparked my interest.

anyway, i haven't chosen a course i don't think i'll find something in so i think things have settled well. in any case, life is almost always flexible right? if i regret my choices and am dying to study psychology, i can always find another way to move on. it's all in our hands, and i think that's the beauty of an existential life. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ziziii
i'm just sharing my opinion on a forum, man. i'm open to any ideas, especially from people with any personal experience in a field, as is the case here for you. still, many things said here are subjective so be careful of your approach when you call out one person for something they've said.

yea, i see what you mean. although maths was a reason for me, it was in no way my primary motive to deselect psychology. are you studying psychology at Cambridge too, or another course? my mother did the same course, and what i heard from her was what initially sparked my interest.

anyway, i haven't chosen a course i don't think i'll find something in so i think things have settled well. in any case, life is almost always flexible right? if i regret my choices and am dying to study psychology, i can always find another way to move on. it's all in our hands, and i think that's the beauty of an existential life. :tongue:

I was just a bit worried. You can have an opinion... but people are making life decisions here so i had to put my opinion down quite forcefully :P

Im doing the PPS tripos at cambridge, and im sure most of us don't have maths, but then most people are going to do either politics and sociology in the second year rather than psychology. My friend is going to do psychology and he doesn't have maths though... but I do. To be honest the best A Levels to take is always subjective, I think that Maths+Chemistry+English lit have been/would be the most useful (i didn't take chemistry). All those A Levels teach you things which would be difficult to catch-up on/self-teach. Biology is easy to self-teach, for example, but the biochemstry behind it is really hard to learn without chemistry and chemistry is dryer and harder to self-teach. But to be honest I don't really have to understand the chemistry behind what we learn yet anyway but it would just be satisfactory to know...
Im doing the PPS tripos at cambridge, and im sure most of us don't have maths, but then most people are going to do either politics and sociology in the second year rather than psychology. My friend is going to do psychology and he doesn't have maths though... but I do. To be honest the best A Levels to take is always subjective, I think that Maths+Chemistry+English lit have been/would be the most useful (i didn't take chemistry). All those A Levels teach you things which would be difficult to catch-up on/self-teach. Biology is easy to self-teach, for example, but the biochemstry behind it is really hard to learn without chemistry and chemistry is dryer and harder to self-teach. But to be honest I don't really have to understand the chemistry behind what we learn yet anyway but it would just be satisfactory to know...
oh alright, I see. i'm doing the ib, and i'm not sure whether or not you're familiar with the system but you're basically forced to take maths as one of six subjects at one of three levels. needless to say, i'm in the lowest tier. :rolleyes: i needed the high predicted scores though, because i was hoping to apply to Cambridge too.

i decided against it after studying at a short summer course this year. i absolutely loved the place, don't get me wrong! i decided it was just too risky applying there to study law.. the competition is fierce so i didn't know if i'd stand chance, and i suppose i was turned off by the early applications as well. i ended up applying with UCL and KCL as my ideal choices, but i've heard they really take their time with offers. still, we'll see how this goes! :biggrin:
Original post by ziziii
oh alright, I see. i'm doing the ib, and i'm not sure whether or not you're familiar with the system but you're basically forced to take maths as one of six subjects at one of three levels. needless to say, i'm in the lowest tier. :rolleyes: i needed the high predicted scores though, because i was hoping to apply to Cambridge too.

i decided against it after studying at a short summer course this year. i absolutely loved the place, don't get me wrong! i decided it was just too risky applying there to study law.. the competition is fierce so i didn't know if i'd stand chance, and i suppose i was turned off by the early applications as well. i ended up applying with UCL and KCL as my ideal choices, but i've heard they really take their time with offers. still, we'll see how this goes! :biggrin:

Oh okay. I wouldn't really worry about not applying here, i mean, you'll have far more fun elsewhere :P That is, unless you like spending nights in your first term in the library...
Oh okay. I wouldn't really worry about not applying here, i mean, you'll have far more fun elsewhere :P That is, unless you like spending nights in your first term in the library...
do you really think so? i had a blast getting wasted every night, but then again that was just a summer course. i suppose i could always visit and stuff. ohhhh well :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest