The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GeordieFan
Gone from a 18 year old starting at £2100 for a 07 Polo.
To the next year £550 with 1 year NCB.

I do love a good haggle down!

Mine this year at 18 years of age is also about £2,000. Did you have a black box?
Also, when you say you love a good haggle down did this involve negotiation? :wink:
Mine went from £1800 --> £800 --> £440

Passed when I was 17, now have 2 years no claims

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply and info :smile: ill look around in march before i pay my deposit.
Original post by Walkaah
Mine this year at 18 years of age is also about £2,000. Did you have a black box?
Also, when you say you love a good haggle down did this involve negotiation? :wink:

Oops first log in since the post! I didnt have a black box no.
Haha course it means negotiation, the good old quote of 'I'll just speak to my manager and see what we can do for you, Sir'
Original post by GeordieFan
Oops first log in since the post! I didnt have a black box no.
Haha course it means negotiation, the good old quote of 'I'll just speak to my manager and see what we can do for you, Sir'

Lol, out of interest how would you go about trying to get a cheaper price, would it be like this?

1. get a quote
2. call another insurer
3. ask for cheaper (also how do you go about asking for cheaper?)

thanks
So basically i got given quotes for £950 for monthly installments, with it being £700 i think for a full annual lump sum. I said that i had been given a quote for around £600 (said it was with Diamond). They spoke to their manager and said they can do around £550, boom.
Mine went from £2000 to £700. I also have a black box which helped a lot 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Went up about 20 quid... I bought a car with a bigger engine!
My first premium was only a bit over £700 in the first place. I think all you kids paying 3 odd grand to insure some ****box must be mental. My other half paid just over 3 grand for her first car. But having said that, her first car was a Porsche 911 SC which, for an 18 year old does seem reasonable.
(edited 9 years ago)
I paid 4k for my supra back in the day before I saw sense and got an mg zs which set me back a mere 1600 after a year of driving.. I changed cars a few times in the first year but generally it went from 1200 in a rover 414 to 1600 for a 2.5 zs after a year. Thankfully those sort of premiums are a thing of the past, but on the downside my back hurts a lot more than it ever did..
Reply 49
At 17 my Ford Ka was £1000 on a provisional license then £126 a month for the first year on a full license including an extra £200 upfront for the first month so maybe £1600 for the year? (I'm only on as the named driver because otherwise it would have been £3000+ and we're low income, also, my car is a pile of crap)
I'm hoping that my boyfriend passes his test by April so he can get a car and I can scrap mine (that's when my first year ends) because its draining my uni fund :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just out of interest, where are some of you getting your insurance policies from?

The cheapest I have been quoted so far is 2300.
Reply 51
Original post by damidude
Just out of interest, where are some of you getting your insurance policies from?

The cheapest I have been quoted so far is 2300.

Sabre insurance

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am with Admiral and 1st year was £1200, now they are offering me £1044, I have had my license for 5 years though, I took a 3 year break during university.

On their website it is about £400 cheaper so would they change it if i rang them?
Reply 53
Original post by toddman10
I am with Admiral and 1st year was £1200, now they are offering me £1044, I have had my license for 5 years though, I took a 3 year break during university.

On their website it is about £400 cheaper so would they change it if i rang them?

Doubt it. Just ring up and say you don't wish to renew, a day or two later go back to that quote that is £400 cheaper (you should have it saved or emailed to you), then pay for it and you'll be insured having paid less.
Reply 54
Wow don't know where I went wrong my insurance was £2,300 on a 1.2 polo... I hope it goes down by a lot otherwise I won't be able to afford it 😢😢😢
How much will my insurance go down next year after 1 year ncb and no points? With AXA

Latest

Trending

Trending