The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
Original post by alex_hk90
What do you want to apply for and is there a reason why your grades are so far below the entry requirements (typically A*AA now)?

I want to do English lit, those arn't my grades (just predicted grades) but i thought they were ok. Would I not get an interview with predicated grades like that?
Original post by tinman1
I want to do English lit, those arn't my grades (just predicted grades) but i thought they were ok. Would I not get an interview with predicated grades like that?

Nobody can say for certain, but I reckon you probably wouldn't get an interview with those predicted grades
Reply 2002
No. You'd need AAA for your AS results or extreme exonerating circumstances at a minimum. The average UMS score of applicants is 90%.
Original post by Catiexx
What's the accommodation like at Downing College and are there en-suites for first years?

Pretty good - all our accommodation is close to college (<5 minutes walk) and definitely ensuite in first year - about 75% of fresher rooms are ensuite. There're also new rooms being built which are supposedly amazing! I had a double bed and a lovely lovely ensuite.
Original post by tinman1

I don't know what the process is like for English, but for the subjects I do have some knowledge about I highly doubt you would be invited for interview with predicted grades of BBC, unless you have extenuating circumstances.
Reply 2005
Original post by tinman1

You might be better off applying and accepting a place elsewhere, then if on results day your results are miles better than the predictions, A*AA at least, you could take a year out to apply for more competitive places
Reply 2006
I still haven't applied for accommodation, should I call them before sending off the form they sent me? I've just completely forgotten about it :frown:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AK0001
I still haven't applied for accommodation, should I call them before sending off the form they sent me? I've just completely forgotten about it :frown:.

What college? I would email but send it asap-it shouldn't be a big deal though.
Reply 2008
Original post by Hypocrism

Clare, hmm yeah hopefully it will be okay. I've always (by always I mean since last August) said that I'd be happy to live under a bridge if it means I get the chance to study at Cambridge, didn't really think I'd have to though! Gahhh, I'm so worried about missing my offer :frown:.
Reply 2009
Is it true that some colleges are easier to get into due to lower popularity or you could apply whenever you want to go?
Original post by soempty
Is it true that some colleges are easier to get into due to lower popularity or you could apply whenever you want to go?

There is a pooling system that attempts to normalise the application process so that if you're "Cambridge standard" you'll get a place at a different college if the one you chose had too many good enough applicants that year. Having said that, some colleges (and subjects) do tend to get consistently more applicants than others so there is some debate as to how successful the pooling system is.
Reply 2011
Original post by soempty

If you're not fussed by which college you might might end up at and if you think that by being interviewed at a less popular college (these things vary from year to year) you have a greater chance of getting in, then make an open application. That way you'll be sure to be interviewed by a college that was less popular that particular year. You should also note that the pooling system means that tutors have the choice of admitting students who haven't been made an offer by their original college, but have been pooled because they're definitely worth having a second look at it be it because of their AS ums scores, subject tests, interviews or a mixture of all those things. In fact many 'less popular' colleges give offers to people via the winter pool.
Original post by soempty

As others have said there's a pooling system. Looking at the stats. Overall your chances aren't really increased. If you're good enough (and maybe bit of luck) then you'll do alright wherever you choose.

I remember seeing stats for Homerton or something where there were very few applications for that subject but in fact (nearly) all applicants were rejected and instead the college took people from the winter pool which shows even if you play the numbers game you'll still not really better off.

It's better choosing somewhere you think you'll like since even if you get in and you don't like the college (e.g too far out of town/too modern/too old etc) you may regret it.
Original post by AK0001

Original post by Hypocrism

What I thought we applied for accomodation after results day? Am I missing something or is just certain colleges?
Reply 2014
Original post by Mike93L
As others have said there's a pooling system. Looking at the stats. Overall your chances aren't really increased. If you're good enough (and maybe bit of luck) then you'll do alright wherever you choose.

I remember seeing stats for Homerton or something where there were very few applications for that subject but in fact (nearly) all applicants were rejected and instead the college took people from the winter pool which shows even if you play the numbers game you'll still not really better off.

It's better choosing somewhere you think you'll like since even if you get in and you don't like the college (e.g too far out of town/too modern/too old etc) you may regret it.

I can't believe people can regret getting into Cambridge even if it means not the college you wanted. Imo people are going there for degrees and not colleges.
Reply 2015
Original post by Mike93L
What I thought we applied for accomodation after results day? Am I missing something or is just certain colleges?

Clare emailed me about all the different options for accommodation, and we were asked to state our preference.

They said things are only finalised on meeting the conditional offer, so it might be that your college is just waiting for results first?
Reply 2016
Original post by soempty
I can't believe people can regret getting into Cambridge even if it means not the college you wanted. Imo people are going there for degrees and not colleges.

I don't think people regret getting into Cambridge if they didn't get into the college of their choice. But some people might prefer to live somewhere central and close to their faculty and therefore might prefer a college which is closer to their faculty rather than a college which is some distance away.
Original post by soempty

I don't mean regretting it as in you'd rather not have gone but that you may have preferences for what you want in your college. For example Churchill is quite far from the centre but is next to the physics labs or you prefer a big or small college. Those kind of small things may make you want to choose one college over another which should be valued more than 'X college only gets 5 applicants per place whereas Y college gets 6!".
Original post by soempty

College is a big part of your uni life. If you're at a big college, you may not like not knowing lots of people. If you're at a small one, you may not like everyone knowing you and gossip about you quickly. Some people just use the college to sleep in but it doesn't change the fact that for most people, it will make up a large part of your time here. It's better to be somewhere you're comfortable rather than somewhere you hate. Most people do grow to love their college anyway so it's generally not an issue but I can imagine not enjoying my 3 years here had I not grown to love the atmosphere here.
Reply 2019
To be honest i would be fine with any college. I can get up 30 minutes earlier if my lecture or whatever is far away and i don't really care whether there is 100 people or 1000 in a college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending