The Student Room Group

Why are British people so anti-social?

Hey all.

Before I start, I, myself, am British. But through going to university which is, as you all know, a multi-cultural place, one of the main things I noticed through wading about the campus and also through just going on nights out with friends is that international students (generally) are much more sociable with people they don't know. Obviously British people have their own friends, and are probably more than willing to speak to friends of friends, but other than when trying to slay, I never really see British people chatting to other people.

Why is this? Is it just something that isn't part of our culture? I know myself that if a random came up and chatted to me I'd probably be wondering what's going on...But one of my best friends is a girl I met 2 or 3 years ago because she came up and just started chatting to me, shes half German and half Brazilian.

What are your views? Is there a reason we're like this? Is it a good or bad thing?
I've literally just joined up to this site - so i can't really give much of an opinion on this matter, ahah.

Although, i pretty much signed up to chat - and hopefully get to know some of the people who are applying to the same courses as me. :] And i'm British?
Original post by SteffiStereo
I've literally just joined up to this site - so i can't really give much of an opinion on this matter, ahah.

Although, i pretty much signed up to chat - and hopefully get to know some of the people who are applying to the same courses as me. :] And i'm British?

Me too, I signed up two or three days ago for banter! What about out and about though, like in person? Do you ever chat to people outwith your group of friends?
Original post by SilverbySkyline

Me too, I signed up two or three days ago for banter! What about out and about though, like in person? Do you ever chat to people outwith your group of friends?

Aha, i know this sounds pretty lame. But most of my friends aren't really in to pub-crawls/gigs/clubbing and whatever - so i don't really get the opportunity to meet people outside of my normal life. :]

Of course, that will change when i get to uni.. I'm pretty shy, but also an extrovert, and i love people. :biggrin: so i'm hoping to go to a few fresher's events (which seems pretty daunting in all honesty) and aim to just meet a huuuge variety of people. :]

Yourself?
Hey all.

Before I start, I, myself, am British. But through going to university which is, as you all know, a multi-cultural place, one of the main things I noticed through wading about the campus and also through just going on nights out with friends is that international students (generally) are much more sociable with people they don't know. Obviously British people have their own friends, and are probably more than willing to speak to friends of friends, but other than when trying to slay, I never really see British people chatting to other people.

Why is this? Is it just something that isn't part of our culture? I know myself that if a random came up and chatted to me I'd probably be wondering what's going on...But one of my best friends is a girl I met 2 or 3 years ago because she came up and just started chatting to me, shes half German and half Brazilian.

What are your views? Is there a reason we're like this? Is it a good or bad thing?

I noted the complete opposite, I can actually count the number of international people I know in a friendly way with one or two hands.
Reply 5
Maybe it's because we can be quite reserved, I don't know. I've noticed this too though, a lot of my friends are from other countries and are more open.
Yes I feel like British people are very antisocial,I have been in London for 10 years now
Original post by Thatgurlthere1
Yes I feel like British people are very antisocial,I have been in London for 10 years now

That's London. Try another city? We're not anti-social.
Reply 8

That is fantastic news. Why bump a 5 year old thread to tell us this?
Original post by Bang Outta Order
That's London. Try another city? We're not anti-social.

Yes I realise don't that because when I go to Birmingham or conventrythe vibes is differ t and people are more social. I think it's mainly the city that's antisocial then coz other parts ain't like this
Yes I realise don't that because when I go to Birmingham or conventrythe vibes is differ t and people are more social. I think it's mainly the city that's antisocial then coz other parts ain't like this

birmingham is a city too lol :colonhash:

Oh. I see. This thread is old...
This has been a steady erosion that was accelerated by The Greedy Thatcher generation.I just moved to a small town and they are very antisocial, about as friendly as a rattle snake that is pissed off. You could be injured at the side of the road and they would just drive by blasting their horn to intimidate. I was walking along minding my own business and some jerk drove in front of me, pulled up and just stared at me as a walked past ! WTF ! This is a very creepy place.It never used to be like this but the more social era of Brits was from WW II, only because they had to to get by. That social memory and generations have mostly died off and now we have people with no idea of culture, they eat toxic food that causes behavioral problems, the are more interested in zombie clicking social media than actually being social, the irony.Something really changed in the 1980's that was when people started to really close down and not talk to strangers. Before you could go to a bar, not get arrested for drinking and people would talk to you and maybe if end up being a buddy. Those days are long gone. Maybe the new national instrument should be the banjo. It will only get worse with Brexit as that really brings out the anti social types.The UK sucks and its getting worse. The ship is sinking so start thinking about better nations that have more respect for your freedoms in general.I moved away from the UK for a few years and since I returned I have really noticed a huge difference. People are antisocial for no reason and the government are like the KGB . I want back out ASAP.

Latest