The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Anyone got any tips for tectonics revision? I'm finding it much harder than weather,and I'm doing world cities for the human section. However the amount of case studies seems a bit strange, If i'm struggling remembering case study examples in the exam can i use evidence from my own knowledge,for example urban decline in my own area instead of writing about somewhere like Glasgow,London or Manchester
Original post by acedlol
Not bad. The basic structure is there, but it really needs more. 25/40

Wegener -> Biological, Climatological, Geographical, Continental Fit.
-> NO MECHANISM, WEGENER FAILED TO EXPLAIN
->Come 1948-1950s, undefloor sea mapping.
->Age of crust/paleomagnetism either side of Mid Atlantic Ridge.
->PROBLEM WITH THIS, AS THE EARTH ISN'T GROWING IN SIZE
->Discovery of marianas trench, crust is being subducted.

Theory now in place.

Volcanoes > Ring of Fire (you did this good), lots around there. Here you should get in a strong paragraph about hot spots. They don't occur at boundaries HOWEVER we know that we can still apply plate tectonic theory because they have trails. Line of islands, suggesting that either the hotspot is moving, or the plates are moving. (:biggrin:)
Earquakes > Good.

For top marks you need to talk about landforms at different boundaries, island arcs, fold mountains (Andes is a great one to do), Himalayas. We're talking about everything here.

Convergent->Oceanic/Oceanic, Oceanic/Continental, Continental/Continental, one landform for each.

Divergent-> MAR, Iceland perhaps?

Once you have done this you can bang out a paragraph about volcanoes/earthquakes. Yes they do, but look at all the other glorious pieces of information.

Hope that helps you.

Haha thanks, I agree with pretty much everything you said. I'm much stronger with tectonic theory now than I was when I wrote this, so I'm really hoping it comes up.
Reply 802
any predictions for ecosystems shorter questions?
Reply 803
Original post by Harry.K
Nike and Coco Cola, with some info on some other TNC's like Dyson, Nissan, etc.

The spec says we only need to know one TNC case study?
Reply 804
Original post by lukas1051
Haha thanks, I agree with pretty much everything you said. I'm much stronger with tectonic theory now than I was when I wrote this, so I'm really hoping it comes up.

I think it will for the 8/10 mark question. But as an essay, I don't think so.

I think plate tectonics essay is going to be hard this time round.

loljk nothing in plate tectonics is hard.
Reply 805
Original post by Brap4k22DivideBy2
Don't you have Psychology to do? :cool:

**** me man.

Haven't even started. One topic a day. UGH FMLFMLFML

Gonna pray n spray when I open the exam paper.
Reply 806
Original post by M.dale
The spec says we only need to know one TNC case study?

Yeh my bad, I meant my main case study is Nike but I've got some info on other tnc's like coca cola, etc to add in.
Reply 807
Original post by Harry.K
Yeh my bad, I meant my main case study is Nike but I've got some info on other tnc's like coca cola, etc to add in.

Ahh righty cool! Do you think TNC's will come up in the 40 marker?
Anyone got any notes on the Haiti earthquake as in impacts + management (:
Original post by scared!
world cities two questionsss-

what would you use for the decentralisation of retailing and other services - causes and impacts

&

contrasting case studies within countries at different levels of economic development to demonstrate urbanisation processes?

Hey!
1)Decentralisation of retailing - Trafford centre (Manchester)

Need to know causes and impacts of decentralisation and than learn trafford centre

2)Think youve misinterpreted the specification :s-smilie: you need to know contrasting case studies to demonstrate planning and management not urbanisation processes :biggrin:
Original post by stellz
any predictions for ecosystems shorter questions?

I'm thinking something to do with ecosystems theory, maybe energy flows or food webs, haven't seen anything like that on previous papers.
Reply 811
Original post by scared!
Original post by Sagga
You have to talk about effects and impacts and how they were influenced by physical factors.

One good example/case study is the Montseratt eruption. It was predicted that the volcano would erupt which led to evacuation . Some zones were banned and some were declared as safe. However the wind direction led to the the ash falling on zones deemed to be safe. This gave the people a false sense of security meaning that people who were living on those areas were harmed.

Human Factors
Physical Factors

You have constantly link human and physical factors to go into level 4.

In your conclusion you have to summarise how the <keyword> in the question affected the outcome of the seismic event.

could you give me an example based on a earthquake? I think i get it.. thankyou for your help! x

For earthquake, my main case study is the Japan earthquake and Tsunami.
There were extremely well designed and well implemented systems in places which saved many lives. The warning system shut of the nuclear power stations (used control rods). Tokyo received a 60 second warning about the earthquake. This gave people to get out of buildings or hide under desks etc. The buildings were extremely well built meaning they didn't get affected by the earthquake.
The Tsunami walls were meant to stop tsunami waves. It was extremely unfortunate that the earthquake had caused the coast and Japan to sink by almost 1 metres rendering the walls useless.

Please note that the initial earthquake didn't do much damage to Japan. It was the Tsunami which caused the mass devastation.
Reply 812
What do people thing about the D&G questions and essays, any chance of an trade vs aid essay?? What your predictions :smile:
Reply 813
Original post by 05smithr
What do people thing about the D&G questions and essays, any chance of an trade vs aid essay?? What your predictions :smile:

Hmmm, i'm hoping for it to be on NICS, but most are saying TNCs
[QUOTE="Sagga;37982563"]
Original post by scared!

For earthquake, my main case study is the Japan earthquake and Tsunami.
There were extremely well designed and well implemented systems in places which saved many lives. The warning system shut of the nuclear power stations (used control rods). Tokyo received a 60 second warning about the earthquake. This gave people to get out of buildings or hide under desks etc. The buildings were extremely well built meaning they didn't get affected by the earthquake.
The Tsunami walls were meant to stop tsunami waves. It was extremely unfortunate that the earthquake had caused the coast and Japan to sink by almost 1 metres rendering the walls useless.

Please note that the initial earthquake didn't do much damage to Japan. It was the Tsunami which caused the mass devastation.

Oh gosh, do you have this info for Montserrat/Indian Ocean?
Hi guys :smile:
To what extent do your answers actually have to stick to the mark scheme, especially with human geography? I mean, if your answer doesnt have anything of the mark scheme in it, is it marked wrong even if it is relevent?
Reply 816
hey, what are people's case studies for:

1. Suburbanisation
2. Counter-urbanisation
3. Re-urbanisation
Reply 817
Original post by Harry.K

1. Suburbanisation
2. Counter-urbanisation
3. Re-urbanisation

1. I don't have any since this process is not really occurring anymore in MEDCs. Should I have one?
2. St Ivy, Cambridgeshire
3. Gentrification - Notting Hill
Property-led regeneration - London Docklands Development Corporation
City Partnership - Hulme, Manchester
Original post by Harry.K

1. Suburbanisation
2. Counter-urbanisation
3. Re-urbanisation

Suburbanisation --> London --> Surbiton
Counterurbanisation --> Askham Bryan and Copmanthorpe, its one that many haven't probably heard of, but yeah :smile:
3. Re-urbanisation, well this is split into 3 parts:
1. Gentrification - Notting Hill
2. Property led regeneration - Casterfield, manchester
3. Sustainable Cities - Curitiba and Jakarta :smile:
Hey, I know this might sound stupid, but I have found that after writing out all my notes etc, that recording myself reading them on my phone has been quite useful! I've only done it for world cities at the moment, because the theory of that really annoys me, but I find it works, listening to it afterwards, as well as reading it aloud clearly whilst recording :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending