The Student Room Group

EMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miracle Day
I think The EMA scheme should get quanlitative data instead of quantitative. They should highlight how much they need, highlight what they need it for etc.

I'm not against EMA, my friend is using it for his trip to the USA in October.. it's not fair he misses out really is it

Well yeah exactly, if it's important for his course he should be able to go. The trouble with getting qualitative data is that you would have to go around asking every student what they thought of it and what they spend it on etc. some people easily forget and others might just lie about it because they can't be bothered so there are issues with that but I can see where you're coming from.
Original post by bench
If kids drop out of college and start peeling potatoes for money instead of gaining the skills and knowledge that education will bring them, then in 10 years time when all potatoes are all peeled by machines, these kids will not have the skills to find them a sustainable job.

I think you've misinterpreted what I said. I'm not suggesting kids drop out of college to get crappy jobs. I peeled potatoes part time while I was in school so that I could afford to go to school and get the skills I needed to find a better job. That's my point - tell the kids to get part time jobs rather than just hand them cash.

As an aside - it was a machine that peeled the potatoes, but I had to operate the machine :tongue:
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Well yeah exactly, if it's important for his course he should be able to go. The trouble with getting qualitative data is that you would have to go around asking every student what they thought of it and what they spend it on etc. some people easily forget and others might just lie about it because they can't be bothered so there are issues with that but I can see where you're coming from.

It isn't important for his course. But how horrible would it be.. All your friends going for 8 days to the USA, to have the holiday of a lifetime.. and you have to stay behind.
Original post by sunny_veggies
Yes you can apply straight to the funds but very few people get this and, in many cases I have seen, they never give the correct amount.
Also they will mainly only fund bus fares. Which is no use to many, they wont fund things like text books, stationary or trips.

And they did not make any effort to inform us of this fund either. IMO they should keep their fund and provide us with the neccessary stationary/text books rather than provide bus funds for people who could easily walk or get a lift in.

I disagree most if not all schools provide the necessary textbooks and stationary is hardly expensive is it I mean what do you want Parker pens
The main cost is usually travel expenses
You might be a keen walker not but not everyone like to walk an hour to and back from school nor does everyone have the luxury of lifts
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
I'm not saying that there aren't people who come from low-income homes. Pretty much everyone in my school would have fallen into that bracket. I'm asking why they don't get part time jobs like we used to back in the day

And I'm asking you where these people can find the jobs you speak of?

Everyone I know hands out CV's, e-mails companies, goes for interviews, phone's potential employers, and fills out application form after application form.
Honestly, there are hardly any jobs available.
I think you've misinterpreted what I said. I'm not suggesting kids drop out of college to get crappy jobs. I peeled potatoes part time while I was in school so that I could afford to go to school and get the skills I needed to find a better job. That's my point - tell the kids to get part time jobs rather than just hand them cash.

As an aside - it was a machine that peeled the potatoes, but I had to operate the machine :tongue:

Easy if the jobs are there. In most places around the country they are not there.

Well as I said to the other girl who described her situation, I would not have a problem with targeted support for the few people that need it and have absolutely no other option, but that would include far fewer people than just everyone whose parents earn less than an arbitrary threshold. To claim JSA you have to show that you're actively looking for work. I don't see why the same can't apply to EMA

I think it would have to cover a lot more people than you seem to think.

... but with no regard to the fact that it's not needed by many of the people that receive it. It seems to work the wrong way around. Rather than it being a case of "here's some money just in case you have a bus fare to pay", it should be "Go to school, try to pay your own way - with part time work if necessary - and only if you absolutely cannot do so due to circumstances outside your control, there is support available"

Why should someone from a less well off background have to try, end up suffering, and then have to claim to the government when those from more well off families enjoy a life of luxury at sixth form?
Original post by sunny_veggies
rather than provide bus funds for people who could easily walk or get a lift in.

You assume they could easily walk or get a lift
Many people do not fall into either of those categories.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xDave-
It's £30 a week maximum plus bonuses. I believe it adds up to around £1000 per year, but I'm not sure. That's a large amount of money for someone that age, no?

I would've assumed it was obvious that I didn't get it and therefore I'm bitter. My personal feelings are irrelevant though, nothing I've said isn't true - it is abused and it is there to keep people off JSA. In fact it'd be even more apparent that's the truth if I was getting it, as I would personally be abusing it. It helps some people, for sure, but it's very poorly targeted.

As others have said, it's no longer £30. They reduced it so all of the people who previously were eligible got £30, and everyone who was previously eligible for £20 or £10 got nothing. This was to try and target the people who really need it.

Also, they scrapped the bonuses in 2010.
Original post by WelshBluebird
You assume they could easily walk or get a life.

:awesome:
Original post by Ilyas
what about people who use it for a good purpose? I used it to fund a tutor for my further maths on the lead up to the exams (self taught the rest). I wouldn't have my A grade if it wasn't for EMA :frown:

But why should you get a tutor funded by the goverment when many people cannot afford one . EMA should be for the essentials eg bus far , or uniform
Reply 50
Why should someone from a less well off background have to try, end up suffering, and then have to claim to the government when those from more well off families enjoy a life of luxury at sixth form?

You've often criticised me for making assumptions, but not everyone who didn't receive EMA "enjoyed a life of luxury". Some parents may have financial constraints (though on paper they're comfortable) and ask their children to get a job to fund their education. Remember, these are the parents who pay tax.

Also, who are you to say whether or not well off families should provide luxuries for their children? It's their choice, and it's not the taxpayers' responsibility to provide luxuries for low income families.
Reply 51
Original post by social outcast
But why should you get a tutor funded by the goverment when many people cannot afford one . EMA should be for the essentials eg bus far , or uniform

Exactly.
Reply 52

Note the user said "easily", meaning they realised that this may not be the case for everyone. Certainly in my sixth form centre people were in walking distance. Suddenly at 17 they decided they must drive to school :rolleyes: despite going there for more than five years (the students claiming EMA). If they were using the bus when travel was free in London, they abused the service - hardly deserving are they?
Reply 53
That's why they're getting rid of it, people in my year group (13) are the last to recieve it.

It did allow pooer students to get the bus or buy stationary but it was an abused system. I know someone who conned his way into getting it. his mum and step-dad (who he lived with 95% of the time earn well over 30k each!) But on his forms he said he lived with his dad who earnt less than 30k . . .
I saved mine - it now pays for me through uni. If it weren't for the EMA I'd be on JSA or ESA with no future. I can't work due to disability and being a carer to my mum and sister, I live in a very rural area with about four job opportunities a year...
Original post by IB_19

Note the user said "easily", meaning they realised that this may not be the case for everyone. Certainly in my sixth form centre people were in walking distance.

Plus some people don't walk when they really could. I consider anything up to 4 miles to be reasonable walking distance, as it takes about an hour. When I worked I used to walk about that distance to my office. Now I'm studying at a Uni which is about 2 miles away from me, and I walk there every day.
Reply 56
Plus some people don't walk when they really could. I consider anything up to 4 miles to be reasonable walking distance, as it takes about an hour. When I worked I used to walk about that distance to my office. Now I'm studying at a Uni which is about 2 miles away from me, and I walk there every day.

Agreed. There isn't anything wrong with walking, and it's good exercise. :smile:
Reply 57
I've just started receiving it for the first time the other week ago (I'm in Scotland and we still get it).

Honestly I'm probably the only kid who's gonna say this...

but it's an absolute waste. Everyone I know spends it on weed or booze.

My personal opinion is it should be halved and the rest spent on policing or the NHS.
I needed EMA to pay for food and bills because I was living alone through no choice of my own but wasn't eligible for any benefits (the wonderful case of no help for students but all of the help if sat at home). Without it I'd have never had chance to get an education to get myself into university and I'd probably be on the dole just like the majority of the people from my hometown.

Loads of people abused it but for those who really needed it, it was a lifeline and a chance to stay in education. My family will struggle to send my younger sister into further education and we're hoping she'll be eligible for some form of travel grant just to get her to college.

Those just leaving school are the easiest target and hit the hardest - there's no jobs for them because unemployment levels are so high employers can pick from graduates for even the simplest of jobs, no educational funding unless they're lucky enough to be eligible for grants (and some of the eligibility criteria is ridiculous!) and it's just a generally awful situation to be in. They're just being brushed under the carpet and ignored.

Why do we even live in a society where education isn't properly supported?
Reply 59
If I didn't get EMA, I wouldn't have been able to pay the train fare to get to school and would've had to go a different and not as good college.

Yes, lots of people did abuse it but lots of people abuse all types of benefits. They've stopped it now anyway.

Besides, your day and today are very different things. It's not as easy to get a job now especially when you have no experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending