The Student Room Group

Women and Pregnancy - A curse or a gift?

I was completing a task today for college in which I had to separate people's comments on abortion into pro/anti/impartial sections. All responses were from females. The section with most responses was pro abortion. This, for me, was quite disturbing, exaggerated no doubt by the coldness/selfishness of some of these opinions.

My personal opinion on this matter is that abortion, on the surface, is wrong and women should feel privileged to be able to give birth. Sure you get the grumbles of aches and pains - which I am in no doubt over the severity of - but I would like to think that this is something which is, in reality, overwhelmed by the actual feeling of giving birth.

- So are the moans and groans greater than giving birth?
- Has it come to a stage in our time where women have forgotten their significance?
- Is pregnancy a curse or a gift?

[This is not a discussion on abortion, well its not intended for that anyway lol]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pregnancy is a gift when you want the baby, a curse if you don't. Surely that's obvious?
Apagg
Pregnancy is a gift when you want the baby, a curse if you don't. Surely that's obvious?

For the first time ever (and maybe the last) I agree with you BUT with the caveat that a baby who is initially unplanned/unwanted can become a gift with time, I'm assuming you would agree with that too.
Reply 3
Yes, but I wouldn't say the pregnancy itself was a gift in that case. It's a murky issue I don't want to get to entwined in. Suffice to say I get annoyed when men start telling women how they should behave.

I wasn't aware you and I had such a vendetta :biggrin:
I think really this is a discussion on abortion, because you are drawing the conclusion that women don't appreciate the 'gift' (or whatever you want to call it) of pregnancy from the premise that most of the women in your survey want the freedom to choose.

And that just doesn't follow.

Oh, and be careful about calling women who want the right to abort 'cold' and 'selfish'. That really isn't going to go down well.
Reply 5
law:portal
I was completing a task today for college in which I had to separate people's comments on abortion into pro/anti/impartial sections. All responses were from females. The section with most responses was pro abortion. This, for me, was quite disturbing, exaggerated no doubt by the coldness/selfishness of some of these opinions.

My personal opinion on this matter is that abortion, on the surface, is wrong and women should feel privileged to be able to give birth. Sure you get the grumbles of aches and pains - which I am in no doubt over the severity of - but I would like to think that this is something which is, in reality, overwhelmed by the actual feeling of giving birth.

- So are the moans and groans greater than giving birth?
- Has it come to a stage in our time where women have forgotten their significance?
- Is pregnancy a curse or a gift?

[This is not a discussion on abortion, well its not intended for that anyway lol]

3.16 Unto the woman He said: 'I will greatly multiply thy pain and thy travail; in pain thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Seems like a punishment to me. ^o)
Reply 6
Bismarck
3.16 Unto the woman He said: 'I will greatly multiply thy pain and thy travail; in pain thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
In the end though once outside God's eye the women seemed to get the men to do all the travail anyway...
Reply 7
Ferrus
In the end though once outside God's eye the women seemed to get the men to do all the travail anyway...

Well, not even G-d can get women to listen to Him. :smile:
Reply 8
Kilgore Trout
Oh, and be careful about calling women who want the right to abort 'cold' and 'selfish'. That really isn't going to go down well.

To quote a source "I know I killed someone. I am a murderer. But even so, abortion is every womans right."

If that isn't cold I don't know what is.

I am not generalising the entire female population and I understand that some times bringing a baby into the world would just be plain wrong. My question was a simple one really:

Do women see pregnancy, these days, as more of a curse than a gift?
Reply 9
Bismarck

Seems like a punishment to me. ^o)

I'm not a religious person so I am unable to take this opinion into account.
Reply 10
To quote a source "I know I killed someone. I am a murderer. But even so, abortion is every womans right."

If that isn't cold I don't know what is.

I am not generalising the entire female population and I understand that some times bringing a baby into the world would just be plain wrong. My question was a simple one really:

Do women see pregnancy, these days, as more of a curse than a gift?

How would you feel being sick, unbalanced, and ugly for 9 month, and then be in extreme pain for several hours just to do something you don't want?

[QUOTE=law[excludedFace]tongue[/excludedFace]ortal]I'm not a religious person so I am unable to take this opinion into account.

You don't have to be religious to see that it contradicts your point about women thinking of giving birth as a gift "in the good old days".
Reply 11
Bismarck
How would you feel being sick, unbalanced, and ugly for 9 month, and then be in extreme pain for several hours just to do something you don't want?

You have answered my question as you see pregnancy as more of a curse than a gift.
Reply 12
You have answered my question as you see pregnancy as more of a curse than a gift.

Do you disagree with any part of my analysis?
Reply 13
Bismarck
You don't have to be religious to see that it contradicts your point about women thinking of giving birth as a gift "in the good old days".

How does that contradict my point? Did I make a point?
Reply 14
Bismarck
Do you disagree with any part of my analysis?

You stated some of the common symptoms of pregnancy so I cannot disagree with you on that, as it does happen. What I disagree with is the way in which you placed more emphasis on the perceived bad parts of pregnancy and failed to mention any goodness about it.
Reply 15
You stated some of the common symptoms of pregnancy so I cannot disagree with you on that, as it does happen. What I disagree with is the way in which you placed more emphasis on the perceived bad parts of pregnancy and failed to mention any goodness about it.

Assuming you don't want the baby, the good parts are?
Is it special for the child when they are born with genetic abnormalities that ruin thier life? Or for the child that gets raised in a poor, unloving home, where its parents take no care of it. Or how about the one thats born only to be given up, and never be with thier true parents?

Guess i'm "pro choice"
Reply 17
honestly i think that in no circumstances should a life be thrown away because someone doesn't want it!

How is a woman suppose to know whether having a child is a good or bad thing if she doesn't already have a child.
i think being given the chance to love someone so much, more then life itsself and someone who will always look up to me, is a blessing,
a child should never be thought apon as something bad,
i would hate myself if i ever had a termination, i know i never will, unless i knew the child wouldn't last till full term or if the child would be ill and in any pain.

i hope that makes some sense
Reply 18
Well assuming you don't want the baby you will always seek the bad parts of pregnancy, so in answer to your question, none.
Reply 19
Imagine being forced into giving birth as a result of rape. A baby you didn't want, 9 months of hell through no fault of your own, resulting in something you may not be able to imagine possibly loving, because it reminds you of the rape, then as it grows up if its male it may start to resemble the rapist. The child wouldn't deserve being born into such an unloved household, and the woman would be tormented and reminded of that event every day for the rest of her life.

Latest

Trending

Trending