Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elbow_fan)
    My mum's dead, that's why there's a problem in the first place-lack of parental support.

God the number of people who just assume that everyone has both parents is unbelievable.
    I'm sorry i hadnt assumed one of your parents were dead? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well ur dad is partly right KYRIL. i mean it is a lot of money. money that u havent worked for. and if he wants to buy a house, then that's HIS money. why does HE has to provide for you, since you are such an adult and want to go to university get a studet loan and agree to pay it when u r working. thats the above 18 attitude, not the "my dad is mean and won't let me spend 20 grand as I please".
    if you are rich, however, and he is doing this just to spite you then I agree with u. Go spend his money without asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrteacher)
    well ur dad is partly right elbow_fan. i mean it is a lot of money. money that u havent worked for. and if he wants to buy a house, then that's HIS money. why does HE has to provide for you, since you are such an adult and want to go to university get a studet loan and agree to pay it when u r working. thats the above 18 attitude, not the "my dad is mean and won't let me spend 20 grand as I please".
    if you are rich, however, and he is doing this just to spite you then I agree with u. Go spend his money without asking.

Have you even bothered to read this thread? elbow_fan wants a grant - that means their dad will not have to pay the fees. The user whos father wants to buy a house is kyril. Get your facts straight before you try and offer "advice".

ReputationRep:
    Declare yourself financially independent. Not only does it mean you'll get your full grant and loan but also you will can sign it without his permission.

ReputationRep:
    Neg. Rep him, that'll teach him.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. My dad is dead. It seems that I have had a narrow escape from years of putting up with frutrating fathers. :rolleyes:

Whenever I see the word grant I always think of Grant Nicholas out of Feeder. He's so hot.

Sorry, that was a little off topic... good luck with it all, I hope you get it all sorted. But yeah, stand your ground and stick up for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    God the number of people who just assume that everyone has both parents is unbelievable.
    God the number of people who just assume they're entitled to free sympathy because one of their parents is dead is unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Pick yourself up and get over it. I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    Declare yourself financially independent. Not only does it mean you'll get your full grant and loan but also you will can sign it without his permission.
    Doesn't the Inland revenue check up on that though?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    I'm sure you have to have been living on your own for 3 years to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)

lmao... :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    I'm sorry i hadnt assumed one of your parents were dead? :rolleyes:
    Sorry, I was having a seriously bad day yesterday when I said that, didn't mean to come across as a *****!

(Original post by Talya)
    God the number of people who just assume they're entitled to free sympathy because one of their parents is dead is unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Same goes for you Talya, I'm sorry I seemed really *****y yesterday. I think what you've written is completely out of order and I don't think I'm entitled to sympathy at all, but I realise it sometimes comes across that way. The reason I typed "..." to your first post on here was because it was as though you were saying, "These threads remind me how lucky I am...thank god it's not me!" but I was really down yesterday so now I'm feeling a bit better I understand that you didn't mean it in a bad way. And thank you for the link you provided, I do appreciate it!

(Original post by mrteacher)
    well ur dad is partly right elbow_fan. i mean it is a lot of money. money that u havent worked for. and if he wants to buy a house, then that's HIS money. why does HE has to provide for you, since you are such an adult and want to go to university get a studet loan and agree to pay it when u r working. thats the above 18 attitude, not the "my dad is mean and won't let me spend 20 grand as I please".
    Erm, wrong person! I just want a grant to help me buy food and shelter. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Erm, wrong person! I just want a grant to help me buy food and shelter. :p:
    oups sorry then ur dad is indeed an ar***le.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    is "him" referring to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    Have you even bothered to read this thread? elbow_fan wants a grant - that means their dad will not have to pay the fees. The user whos father wants to buy a house is kyril. Get your facts straight before you try and offer "advice".
    yes i did bother i just got the name wrong. and the name changing still does not alter the quality of the "advice" dear. get ur facts straight

ReputationRep:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ferrus

Doesn't the Inland revenue check up on that though?
    If you haven't been living apart from your parents for 3 years (and have proof of it) its extremely hard to declare yourself an independant if you're under 25. However it can be done (I too have a evil father) you just need various documentation from social worker, doctors (basically anyone who can say your father wont support you. Also it depends a lot on you LEA, they have the biggest say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)

Thats harsh. If anything, losing a parent is one of the few things that should entitle people to 'free sympathy' as you put it. I think you should be a little more sensitive, instead of just telling her to ''get over it''. I mean come on, how did you even remotely think for a second that that was an acceptable thing to say??? Grrr.

ReputationRep:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Talya
    God the number of people who just assume they're entitled to free sympathy because one of their parents is dead is unbelievable.

Thats harsh. If anything, losing a parent is one of the few things that should entitle people to 'free sympathy' as you put it. I think you should be a little more sensitive, instead of just telling her to ''get over it''. I mean come on, how did you even remotely think for a second that that was an acceptable thing to say??? Grrr
    I agree with leona, losing a parent is so hard and no one should ever be told to 'Get over it' (even in jest). Tayla, your post implies you've gone through the same thing so why be so mean? Just cos youre "over it" doesn't give you the right to assume every one else should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayBee)
    I agree with leona, losing a parent is so hard and no one should ever be told to 'Get over it' (even in jest). Tayla, your post implies you've gone through the same thing so why be so mean? Just cos youre "over it" doesn't give you the right to assume every one else should be.
    I didn't get any sympathy so why should anyone else? It's not the end of the world. TBH when people say their parents are dead on the net I am inclined not to believe them, though, maybe that's why I am a bit harsher than I'd be IRL.

I changed my SN so people would spell it right, but still, no one can read. What do i have to do?!

ReputationRep:
    Disown him ...and become "estranged"

tho i think that has to be for a number oof years :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    Disown him ...and become "estranged"

tho i think that has to be for a number oof years :s:
    If she's still 17 I suppose she could get emancipated.. but I'm not sure of the full implications of that.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.