The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
elbow_fan
My mum's dead, that's why there's a problem in the first place-lack of parental support.

God the number of people who just assume that everyone has both parents is unbelievable.

I'm sorry i hadnt assumed one of your parents were dead? :rolleyes:
Reply 21
well ur dad is partly right KYRIL. i mean it is a lot of money. money that u havent worked for. and if he wants to buy a house, then that's HIS money. why does HE has to provide for you, since you are such an adult and want to go to university get a studet loan and agree to pay it when u r working. thats the above 18 attitude, not the "my dad is mean and won't let me spend 20 grand as I please".
if you are rich, however, and he is doing this just to spite you then I agree with u. Go spend his money without asking.
Reply 22
mrteacher
well ur dad is partly right elbow_fan. i mean it is a lot of money. money that u havent worked for. and if he wants to buy a house, then that's HIS money. why does HE has to provide for you, since you are such an adult and want to go to university get a studet loan and agree to pay it when u r working. thats the above 18 attitude, not the "my dad is mean and won't let me spend 20 grand as I please".
if you are rich, however, and he is doing this just to spite you then I agree with u. Go spend his money without asking.

Have you even bothered to read this thread? elbow_fan wants a grant - that means their dad will not have to pay the fees. The user whos father wants to buy a house is kyril. Get your facts straight before you try and offer "advice".
Reply 23
Declare yourself financially independent. Not only does it mean you'll get your full grant and loan but also you will can sign it without his permission.
Reply 24
Neg. Rep him, that'll teach him.
Hmmm. My dad is dead. It seems that I have had a narrow escape from years of putting up with frutrating fathers.:biggrin: :rolleyes:

Whenever I see the word grant I always think of Grant Nicholas out of Feeder. He's so hot.:biggrin:

Sorry, that was a little off topic... good luck with it all, I hope you get it all sorted. But yeah, stand your ground and stick up for yourself.
Reply 26
elbow_fan

God the number of people who just assume that everyone has both parents is unbelievable.

God the number of people who just assume they're entitled to free sympathy because one of their parents is dead is unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Pick yourself up and get over it. I did.
Ferrus
Declare yourself financially independent. Not only does it mean you'll get your full grant and loan but also you will can sign it without his permission.

Doesn't the Inland revenue check up on that though?
Reply 28
Ferrus

I'm sure you have to have been living on your own for 3 years to do that.
arkbar

lmao... :yy:
Reply 30
sarforaz
I'm sorry i hadnt assumed one of your parents were dead? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I was having a seriously bad day yesterday when I said that, didn't mean to come across as a bitch!

Talya
God the number of people who just assume they're entitled to free sympathy because one of their parents is dead is unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Same goes for you Talya, I'm sorry I seemed really bitchy yesterday. I think what you've written is completely out of order and I don't think I'm entitled to sympathy at all, but I realise it sometimes comes across that way. The reason I typed "..." to your first post on here was because it was as though you were saying, "These threads remind me how lucky I am...thank god it's not me!" but I was really down yesterday so now I'm feeling a bit better I understand that you didn't mean it in a bad way. And thank you for the link you provided, I do appreciate it!

mrteacher
well ur dad is partly right elbow_fan. i mean it is a lot of money. money that u havent worked for. and if he wants to buy a house, then that's HIS money. why does HE has to provide for you, since you are such an adult and want to go to university get a studet loan and agree to pay it when u r working. thats the above 18 attitude, not the "my dad is mean and won't let me spend 20 grand as I please".

Erm, wrong person! I just want a grant to help me buy food and shelter. :p:
Reply 31
elbow_fan
Erm, wrong person! I just want a grant to help me buy food and shelter. :p:

oups sorry:smile: then ur dad is indeed an ar***le.
Reply 32
arkbar

is "him" referring to me?
Reply 33
~Bex~
Have you even bothered to read this thread? elbow_fan wants a grant - that means their dad will not have to pay the fees. The user whos father wants to buy a house is kyril. Get your facts straight before you try and offer "advice".

yes i did bother i just got the name wrong. and the name changing still does not alter the quality of the "advice" dear. get ur facts straight
Reply 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrus

Doesn't the Inland revenue check up on that though?

If you haven't been living apart from your parents for 3 years (and have proof of it) its extremely hard to declare yourself an independant if you're under 25. However it can be done (I too have a evil father) you just need various documentation from social worker, doctors (basically anyone who can say your father wont support you. Also it depends a lot on you LEA, they have the biggest say!
Reply 35
Talya

Thats harsh. If anything, losing a parent is one of the few things that should entitle people to 'free sympathy' as you put it. I think you should be a little more sensitive, instead of just telling her to ''get over it''. I mean come on, how did you even remotely think for a second that that was an acceptable thing to say??? Grrr.
Reply 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talya
God the number of people who just assume they're entitled to free sympathy because one of their parents is dead is unbelievable.

Thats harsh. If anything, losing a parent is one of the few things that should entitle people to 'free sympathy' as you put it. I think you should be a little more sensitive, instead of just telling her to ''get over it''. I mean come on, how did you even remotely think for a second that that was an acceptable thing to say??? Grrr

I agree with leona, losing a parent is so hard and no one should ever be told to 'Get over it' (even in jest). Tayla, your post implies you've gone through the same thing so why be so mean? Just cos youre "over it" doesn't give you the right to assume every one else should be.
Reply 37
KayBee
I agree with leona, losing a parent is so hard and no one should ever be told to 'Get over it' (even in jest). Tayla, your post implies you've gone through the same thing so why be so mean? Just cos youre "over it" doesn't give you the right to assume every one else should be.

I didn't get any sympathy so why should anyone else? It's not the end of the world. TBH when people say their parents are dead on the net I am inclined not to believe them, though, maybe that's why I am a bit harsher than I'd be IRL.

I changed my SN so people would spell it right, but still, no one can read. What do i have to do?!
Disown him ...and become "estranged"

tho i think that has to be for a number oof years :s:
Reply 39
xXMessedUpXx
Disown him ...and become "estranged"

tho i think that has to be for a number oof years :s:

If she's still 17 I suppose she could get emancipated.. but I'm not sure of the full implications of that.

Latest

Trending

Trending