The Student Room Group

AS Biology - Line of best fit (Drawing graphs)

I did an experiment on the effect of substrate concentration on rate of reaction.
My experiment didn't produce very concordant results. There is no pattern anywhere...they're just random :s-smilie:

I'm plotting a graph with y-axis rate of reaction and x-axis concentration.

But I don't know how to draw the line of best fit? Is it a straight line to each point or straight line through the middle of all the points or is it curved?
Reply 1
Original post by ItsAnnaYay
I did an experiment on the effect of substrate concentration on rate of reaction.
My experiment didn't produce very concordant results. There is no pattern anywhere...they're just random :s-smilie:

I'm plotting a graph with y-axis rate of reaction and x-axis concentration.

But I don't know how to draw the line of best fit? Is it a straight line to each point or straight line through the middle of all the points or is it curved?

If wouldn't be a line of best fit if it were through all the points, so usually you'd draw a straight line connecting all the points as much as possible.

In this case, you want a curve as your graph should look something like this
enzyme-saturation-curve.jpg
Reply 2
Original post by Eloades11
If wouldn't be a line of best fit if it were through all the points, so usually you'd draw a straight line connecting all the points as much as possible.

In this case, you want a curve as your graph should look something like this
enzyme-saturation-curve.jpg

So to draw the curve does it have to go through all points? (because I don't think my graph will look like that, because my results fluctuate, I'm worried it'll look like a zigzag)

Could you please explain to me what you mean by "you'd draw a straight line connecting all the points as much as possible."
Like dot to dot? or one straight line connecting points before the saturation point and another line after?

I fail at experiments.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ItsAnnaYay
So to draw the curve does it have to go through all points? (because I don't think my graph will look like that, because my results fluctuate, I'm worried it'll look like a zigzag)

Could you please explain to me what you mean by "you'd draw a straight line connecting all the points as much as possible."
Like dot to dot? or one straight line connecting points before the saturation point and another line after?

I fail at experiments.

Nope, there's a difference between connecting all of the points by joining them up and drawing a line of best fit. A line of best fit is where you try and connect the points as much as possible with 1 straight line. Here's a quick example I've drawn on paint.

I've also attached a quick line of best fit which is curved. As you can see, the lines cannot go through all the points but it's close.
when are you supposed to draw straight lines through each point?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending