ItsAnnaYay
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I did an experiment on the effect of substrate concentration on rate of reaction.
My experiment didn't produce very concordant results. There is no pattern anywhere...they're just random

I'm plotting a graph with y-axis rate of reaction and x-axis concentration.

But I don't know how to draw the line of best fit? Is it a straight line to each point or straight line through the middle of all the points or is it curved?
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ItsAnnaYay)
I did an experiment on the effect of substrate concentration on rate of reaction.
My experiment didn't produce very concordant results. There is no pattern anywhere...they're just random

I'm plotting a graph with y-axis rate of reaction and x-axis concentration.

But I don't know how to draw the line of best fit? Is it a straight line to each point or straight line through the middle of all the points or is it curved?
If wouldn't be a line of best fit if it were through all the points, so usually you'd draw a straight line connecting all the points as much as possible.

In this case, you want a curve as your graph should look something like this
Name:  enzyme-saturation-curve.jpg
Views: 2908
Size:  14.5 KB
ItsAnnaYay
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Eloades11)
If wouldn't be a line of best fit if it were through all the points, so usually you'd draw a straight line connecting all the points as much as possible.

In this case, you want a curve as your graph should look something like this
Name:  enzyme-saturation-curve.jpg
Views: 2908
Size:  14.5 KB
So to draw the curve does it have to go through all points? (because I don't think my graph will look like that, because my results fluctuate, I'm worried it'll look like a zigzag)

Could you please explain to me what you mean by "you'd draw a straight line connecting all the points as much as possible."
Like dot to dot? or one straight line connecting points before the saturation point and another line after?

I fail at experiments.
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ItsAnnaYay)
So to draw the curve does it have to go through all points? (because I don't think my graph will look like that, because my results fluctuate, I'm worried it'll look like a zigzag)

Could you please explain to me what you mean by "you'd draw a straight line connecting all the points as much as possible."
Like dot to dot? or one straight line connecting points before the saturation point and another line after?

I fail at experiments.
Nope, there's a difference between connecting all of the points by joining them up and drawing a line of best fit. A line of best fit is where you try and connect the points as much as possible with 1 straight line. Here's a quick example I've drawn on paint.

I've also attached a quick line of best fit which is curved. As you can see, the lines cannot go through all the points but it's close.
Attached files
Tajriyan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
when are you supposed to draw straight lines through each point?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads